Music: The Force Awakens versus The Hobbit Trilogy

Quintus

Is Star Wars The Force Awakens superior to the Hobbit?   

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think is better?

• The Hobbit trilogy of scores by Howard Shore
    • The Force Awakens score by John Williams

One against three, it's difficult to choose the one. One against any one of the three, TFA wins. Three gainst three, I reckon Star Wars wins, as long as it maintains this level of heart that surpasses that of The Hobbit films.

On the level of motivic writing, and I don't know if I would be being unfair, I only remember Bard's theme and Misty Mountains song writen by other people. If I dig a bit in my memory I remember Laketown and Smaug music and one of the flute things for Bilbo. But I had pretty much forgotten about those scores.

On the other hand, TFA is very fresh, and it feels much less... sparse, and much more intense and focused. The intense part might be better described as in "it feels like the score gives a shit about what it's telling".

On the other hand, TFA is very fresh, and it feels much less... sparse, and much more intense and focused.

It is more focused. But thats PJ's fault.

If PJ had directed the TFA script it would have been a trilogy and part one would have ended after Jakku!

Apples and oranges. If would have made more sense to compare Shore's music to the prequels. Cause it's a similar situation.

When the do a LOTR sequels, with new young director, and Howard Shore comes back reinvigorated with youthful energy, then we can talk.

Karol

Are people gonna go back to hating TFA in a year? I remember similar polls and hype threads for KOTCS when it first came out, but now I feel like most people here are very critical of it. I love both scores, in any case.

On the other hand, TFA is very fresh, and it feels much less... sparse, and much more intense and focused.

It is more focused. But thats PJ's fault.

If PJ had directed the TFA script it would have been a trilogy and part one would have ended after Jakku!

But the end of the third movie would be much more epic than TFA end.

I've listened to The Force Awakens only once outside of the films so far, so my vote is very likely to change. But I'll go with The Hobbit for now. It seems like a more coherent whole than TFA.

Dat Rey's Theme though.

Can a whole trilogy of scores be accurately compared to just one? Anyway, the only really good Hobbit score was The Desolation of Smaug.

That one may be better than TFA.

This place seems to thrive more on the negativity than the joys of discussing scores with others.

I've been noticing that lately too :(

If I have to answer a fair poll, I'll say The Phantom Menace is better than An Unexpected Journey.

But The Force Awakens is better than An Unexpected Journey too.

This place seems to thrive more on the negativity than the joys of discussing scores with others.

How is it negativity to say that you prefer one score over the other?

It doesn't even mean we didn't enjoy the score we say we don't like as much or something. I don't feel "negative".

I'd pick the LOTR scores, which I adore, over the Prequel scores or TFA. But for much of The Hobbit score I was never quite sure what Shore was doing. Or Jackson for that matter.

Listening to BOTFA gives me a headache.

I would rank TFA over the Hobbit scores individually for sure and I would also rank them over all of the Hobbit scores combined too. Simply put, if I had to choose between TFA or the 3 Hobbit scores being erased from existence, I'd gladly save TFA.