Favorite 'Star Wars' Score?

Lockdown

What happens to be your favorite Star Wars score, and why is it your favorite?

To start off, my all time favorite Star Wars score has to be Episode II's score, I hope I am not the only one that thinks that. It really is a beautiful gem. Love every second of it! My second favorite would have to be Episode III just because of how dark the film is. I think that it is John Williams darkest Star Wars score, and I love that about it.

I absolutely love Across the Stars theme, I think that it is one of the most beautiful compositions ever written, and to think it was written a decade ago, how cool is that? It gives me hope that music like this could make a return.

I hope a thread like this is allowed to be posted, I'd be interested to know what your favorites are. And if you have any questions for me, ask away!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite Star Wars score is Star Wars. It's a fun and engaging musical work and really makes you imagine you're in space doing incredible things. It also has a narrative that helps it stand on its own that few other scores have accomplished. I don't even need to watch the film - I just listen to the album!

But the album I find myself returning to a lot is the RotJ OST because it's such a wonderful presentation of the score's colourful musical variety.

My favourite Star Wars score is Star Wars. It's a fun and engaging musical work and really makes you imagine you're in space doing incredible things.

But the album I find myself returning to a lot is the RotJ OST because it's such a wonderful presentation of the score's colourful musical variety.

Do you prefer the mixing of the Special Editions or the 4 CD Anthology Set?

Is it true that the sound of the scores gets progressively worse after each re-release?

I have a quick question as well, what are all the concert suites on the Attack of the Clones OST? Surely not just Across the Stars, right?

I feel as if The Meadow Picnic and Anakin and Padme are concert suites in a way, too.

Star Wars. But I was listening to a bit of TESB the other day and it made me want to get back into it, because it did used to be one of my very favourites. I think Star Wars suffers least from feeling 'played out'.

I have a quick question as well, what are all the concert suites on the Attack of the Clones OST? Surely not just Across the Stars, right?

I feel as if The Meadow Picnic and Anakin and Padme are concert suites in a way, too.

AOTC and ROTS only have one concert suite each. TPM has two.

Star Wars. But I was listening to a bit of TESB the other day and it made me want to get back into it, because it did used to be one of my very favourites. I think Star Wars suffers least from feeling 'played out'.

There's something wrong when you can point to a Abbey Road chair creak in the Hoth opening with second marks.

1-Star Wars, because of the various themes (Luke, Princess Leia, The Force, the music for Jawas and Tatooine, Cantina Band, Here they Comes, Throne Room, etc.)

2-ESB, mainly because of the Yoda's Theme and it's Finale & End Credits.

3-Surely the new one, TFA (hey it's new!)

Only Across The Stars is a concert arrangement.

See here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20291

Love 'em all. But I usually find that Star Wars and Empire are my top favorites, perhaps with Empire edging out as the winner. Terrifically diverse score with incredible themes and countless moments of classic Williams ingenuity. That being said, there's nothing in it quite like the feeling of youthful joy I get when listening to Star Wars as a whole, especially when you go from "The Throne Room" into the end credits.

I don't have a well-formed opinion on TFA yet, having only heard it a single time while watching the film. I don't have the OST yet. But I think it may be my least favorite - not because it's a bad score by any stretch of the imagination, but simply because it's not as superb as the competition. My thoughts may change once I've listened to the OST numerous times, bought and ripped the DVD, etc. ;)

1. ESB (100/100)

2. SW (95/100)

3. ROTS (75/100)

4. ROTJ (74/100)

5. AOTC (70/100)

5 (tie:) TPM (70/100)

TFA: I haven't listened to the OST yet! I prefer a more cinematic/lala land style listening experience where the suites are after the finale and the music is otherwise in dramatic order to reveal the true power of JW's structural force.

Ha! I love your "out of 100" ratings karelm! It seems the most convenient way to rate JW scores, doesn't it? :)

I think so because some are very close and just ranking them loses that.

There's something wrong when you can point to a Abbey Road chair creak in the Hoth opening with second marks.

Empire wasn't recorded at Abbey Road, it's an Anvil Studio chair creaking. ?

Each and every one of these 7 scores is a favorite of mine, but as of this moment, here's how I'd rank them. The Force Awakens may eventually swap places with Return of the Jedi.

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. Star Wars

3. Revenge of the Sith

4. Return of the Jedi

5. The Force Awakens

6. The Phantom Menace

7. Attack of the Clones

The Empire Strikes Back is the one for me. The Imperial March never sounded any better. It's Williams' abbreviated Beethoven's Fifth.

For me that track encapsulates the entire film. You can visualize the might of the Empire and specifically Darth Vader. After all the track's secondary title is "Darth Vader's Theme.

When the theme returns in ROTJ it still is associated with Vader but it also takes on the mantle of the Empire itself and subsequently in the prequels has the same evocation.

There are moments in the prequels when it is used specifically in scenes in dealing with or about Anakin/Vader, and even makes an appearance in the Force awakens in a crucial scene of doubt.

The Empire Strikes Back. It's a fantastic emotional roller coaster from start to finish. And if ever there was a score that perfectly tells the story of the picture it accompanies, it's this one.

Out of the John Williams Star Wars scores, I'd probably rank Attack of the Clones last. But I still really like that score. It doesn't always gets the love it deserves, but it's really quite good. A lovely love theme and some great action pieces. I'm still miffed most of The Arena was cut from the film.