The Force Awakens - Complete Score Breakdown & Chronological Order (Film Spoilers Allowed)

Jay

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

3. Rey Meets BB-8 OST cue: This is is so confusing!  Essentially, the first 1:10 of this OST track is used twice in the film: Once for when Rey meets BB8, but then again when R2 powers up and shows the map for our heroes.  However, neither time it exactly matches the OST version (you can tell yourself by comparing FYC version for its second use).  So it's hard to know which scene it was intended for and which was tracked, and where the different music comes from (Inserts?).  The part from 1:10-end of the track doesn't appear in the film at all, further confusing things!

If you are referring to the little instance of the March of the Resistance on the OST track, I believe it is in the film when they arrive at Maz's castle and we see agents of both sides notifying their superiors.  Still a separate cue, either way.  As to your question, I'd guess it goes with the first instance, given the title, just as an alternate.

Sure, but one can still combine the OST and FYC into a listenable program fairly easily since there isn't much alternate material between them.

It's if video games come out releasing bits and bobs from various versions of cues that things will get really complicated....

On 21/12/2015 at 6:51 PM, karelm said:
On 21/12/2015 at 6:51 PM, karelm said:

Some might find this of interest...

John Williams, Composer & Conductor
William Ross, assistant Conductor
Gustavo Dudamel, guest conductor

Violins:
Roger Wilkie, concertmaster.
Tamara Hatwan, asst. concertmaster.
Bruce Dukov
Natalie Leggett
Katia Popov
Tereza Stanislav
Julie Gigante
Helen Nightengale
Eu Me Ahn
Joel Pargman
Serena McKinney
Darius Campo
Irina Voloshina
Ben Powell
Grace Oh
Raffi Rishik
Jacqueline Brand
Phillip Levy
Maia Jasper

Violas:
Brian Dembow (principal)
Shawn Mann (asst. principal)
Andrew Duckles
Rob Brophy
Alma Lisa Fernandez
Carolyn Riley
Michael Nowak
Erik Rinearson
Mat Funes
Darrin McCann

Celli:
Steve Erdody (principal)
Robert DeMaine (asst. principal)
Armen Ksajikian
Cecilia Tsan
Timothy Landauer
Dennis Karmazyn
Laszlo Mezo
John Walz
Kim Scholes
Jacob Braun
Dane Little

Basses:
Nico Abondolo (principal)
Chris Kolgaart (asst. principal)
Drew Dembowski
Ed Meares
Michael Valerio
Steve Dress

Flutes:
Heather Clark (principal)
Jenni Olson
Geri Rotella
Ben Smolen (principal sub.)
Steve Kujala (piccolo sub.)

Oboes:
Jessica Pearlman (principal)
Lara Wickes
Leslie Reed

Clarinets:
Donald Foster (principal)
Stuart Clark
Gary Bovyer
Ralph Williams

Bassoon:
Rose Corrigan
Ken Munday
Damian Montano

French Horns:
Andrew Bain (principal)
Dave Everson (asst. principal)
Steve Becknell
Dylan Skye Hart
Mark Adams
Dan Kelley
Jenny Kim
Ben Jaber

Trumpets:
Jon Lewis (principal)
Barry Perkins
Daniel Rosenboom
David Washburn

Trombones:
Bill Booth (principal)
Alex Iles
Phil Keen
Bill Reichenbach
Stteve Holtman
James Miller

Tubas:
Doug Tornquist
Jim Self

Timpani:
Don Williams

Percussion:
Jerry Williams
Alan Estes
Greg Goodall
Peter Limonick
Judy Chilnik
Steve Schaeffer
Wade Culbreath

Harp:
Joanne Turovsky (1st)
Allison Allport (2nd)

Piano:
Gloria Chen
Randy Kerber
Robert Thies
Alan Steinberger
Mike Lang

Note: the string roster is incomplete.  There were 30 to 34 violins, 12 violas.

Some might find this of interest...

John Williams, Composer & Conductor
William Ross, assistant Conductor
Gustavo Dudamel, guest conductor

Violins:
Roger Wilkie, concertmaster.
Tamara Hatwan, asst. concertmaster.
Bruce Dukov
Natalie Leggett
Katia Popov
Tereza Stanislav
Julie Gigante
Helen Nightengale
Eu Me Ahn
Joel Pargman
Serena McKinney
Darius Campo
Irina Voloshina
Ben Powell
Grace Oh
Raffi Rishik
Jacqueline Brand
Phillip Levy
Maia Jasper

Violas:
Brian Dembow (principal)
Shawn Mann (asst. principal)
Andrew Duckles
Rob Brophy
Alma Lisa Fernandez
Carolyn Riley
Michael Nowak
Erik Rinearson
Mat Funes
Darrin McCann

Celli:
Steve Erdody (principal)
Robert DeMaine (asst. principal)
Armen Ksajikian
Cecilia Tsan
Timothy Landauer
Dennis Karmazyn
Laszlo Mezo
John Walz
Kim Scholes
Jacob Braun
Dane Little

Basses:
Nico Abondolo (principal)
Chris Kolgaart (asst. principal)
Drew Dembowski
Ed Meares
Michael Valerio
Steve Dress

Flutes:
Heather Clark (principal)
Jenni Olson
Geri Rotella
Ben Smolen (principal sub.)
Steve Kujala (piccolo sub.)

Oboes:
Jessica Pearlman (principal)
Lara Wickes
Leslie Reed

Clarinets:
Donald Foster (principal)
Stuart Clark
Gary Bovyer
Ralph Williams

Bassoon:
Rose Corrigan
Ken Munday
Damian Montano

French Horns:
Andrew Bain (principal)
Dave Everson (asst. principal)
Steve Becknell
Dylan Skye Hart
Mark Adams
Dan Kelley
Jenny Kim
Ben Jaber

Trumpets:
Jon Lewis (principal)
Barry Perkins
Daniel Rosenboom
David Washburn

Trombones:
Bill Booth (principal)
Alex Iles
Phil Keen
Bill Reichenbach
Stteve Holtman
James Miller

Tubas:
Doug Tornquist
Jim Self

Timpani:
Don Williams

Percussion:
Jerry Williams
Alan Estes
Greg Goodall
Peter Limonick
Judy Chilnik
Steve Schaeffer
Wade Culbreath

Harp:
Joanne Turovsky (1st)
Allison Allport (2nd)

Piano:
Gloria Chen
Randy Kerber
Robert Thies
Alan Steinberger
Mike Lang

Note: the string roster is incomplete.  There were 30 to 34 violins, 12 violas.

The string line-up was probably 30/14/12/8, which corresponds to nearly all of Williams's recent "big" scores. Intriguing to see 8 horns back again, as with TPM and ROTS. I wonder if he'll return to 6 as with ATOC on Episode VIII, or stick with the larger sound.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Sure, but one can still combine the OST and FYC into a listenable program fairly easily since there isn't much alternate material between them.

Absolutely - I was just commenting on how challenging I think it will be to create any one presentation of the score that is "definitive" as so many cues will have alts for little sections of them....

11 minutes ago, dfenton85 said:

I just read Filmtrack's extentive 6000+ word 5 star review.

He mentions that those agitated strings near the end of the Snoke track return at 1:28 of Torn Apart when Ren kills Han. Wow...I never noticed that before and it is a fantastic musical link between Ren's horrific act and Snoke.

Not only that -

It seems related to this figure (1:05 in Palpatine's Seduction from ep 3).

a very dark side motif.

somone else discovered that and posted it in another thread somewhere, i definitely would never have known.

3 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

If you are referring to the little instance of the March of the Resistance on the OST track, I believe it is in the film when they arrive at Maz's castle and we see agents of both sides notifying their superiors.  Still a separate cue, either way.  

Omg you're absolutely right! Thank you!

Dunno how I missed that one...

1 minute ago, DominicCobb said:

90% sure you can hear the orchestral bit in Snoke (OST) in his second scene. 

Also, I think the first 30 seconds or so of That Girl With the Staff is used for when Rey refuses to sell BB-8.

There a few seconds there, but I do not think that is the scene it was written for.  You hear much more of it when Rey tells Finn her name, her saying her name coinciding with the statement of her theme, right before the Falcon has maintenance issues.  I believe that moment is what intended for.

Just now, Taikomochi said:

There a few seconds there, but I do not think that is the scene it was written for.  You hear much more of it when Rey tells Finn her name, her saying her name coinciding with the statement of her theme, right before the Falcon has maintenance issues.  I believe that moment is what intended for.

I think so too but there's definitely a bit of it in the early scene where she refuses to sell BB-8. I can't say for sure how much off the top of my head but I distinctly remember at least the part that sounds like Luke and Leia (to me at least) that starts at 0:09 is for sure in that scene. It sounded to me like the track played out for a few more seconds but I'm less sure of that.

I saw it for the 2nd time myself tonight and I'm impressed some of you can pick all that out in the theatre. Sometimes hard to tell with dialog and sound effects. I recognized a LOT more in this 2nd viewing (of course, I didn't have either version of the score when I saw it the 1st time). Definitely more enjoyable being familiar with the OST CD and the FYC promo.

Can we have a list that includes all music from both placed in an easy-to-edit order, complete with alternates tacked on at the end? That's kind of what I want to listen to more than cut up everything perfectly chronological (with incomplete cues, it's always jarring). I always tend to listen to it that way until we have a definitive complete/almost complete version that exists for us. I don't mind editing together, but I still want everything (even if, like I said, we need alternates at the end).

36 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

Definitely.

32 minutes ago, DominicCobb said:

I think so too but there's definitely a bit of it in the early scene where she refuses to sell BB-8. I can't say for sure how much off the top of my head but I distinctly remember at least the part that sounds like Luke and Leia (to me at least) that starts at 0:09 is for sure in that scene. It sounded to me like the track played out for a few more seconds but I'm less sure of that.

Sounds like tracking.

9 hours ago, Sharky said:

The string line-up was probably 30/14/12/8, which corresponds to nearly all of Williams's recent "big" scores. Intriguing to see 8 horns back again, as with TPM and ROTS. I wonder if he'll return to 6 as with ATOC on Episode VIII, or stick with the larger sound.

I don't think it was 8 horns.  I think the brass lineup was 6/4/4/2 and the others were subs due to the long duration and pauses in the dates.  Isn't that the Empire Strikes Back and Attack of the Clones line up?

OK main post updated with correct info about OST track 4.

Man, the OST is more jumbled chronological-wise than was first apparent.

On 30.12.2015 at 0:47 AM, Jay said:

OK main post updated with correct info about OST track 4.

Man, the OST is more jumbled chronological-wise than was first apparent.

Yeah it certainly does but at least it makes for a nice listening experience and represents the score on the whole rather well.

I just realized, don't know if this has been discussed, but was the awesome Force statement at 3:14-3:25 of Torn Apart not used anywhere in the film? 

I was looking up a stream of TFA to refresh my memory of where that was and discovered it wasn't in that sequence.

9 hours ago, elvisjones said:

This score more than typical Wiliams seems to have a lot of short cues.

I don't think it is so atypical. In all fairness same goes for e.g.  some of the cues in The Phantom Menace even though many of them might be meant to flow together. Different director, different spotting of music I wager as the main reason.

And there are some substantial pieces like the opening Attack on the Jakku Village, I Can Fly Anything and Follow Me & Falcon sequence (which runs for about 7 minutes), Han and Leia and Torn Apart. The film has a lot of music but it is not wall-to-wall unlike the Prequels.

On 1/7/2016 at 8:07 PM, mrbellamy said:

I just realized, don't know if this has been discussed, but was the awesome Force statement at 3:14-3:25 of Torn Apart not used anywhere in the film? 

I was looking up a stream of TFA to refresh my memory of where that was and discovered it wasn't in that sequence.

Anybody remember?

Isn't it at 3:20 of track 20, unless I'm having a psychotic episode?

Was this not the Force Theme statement replaced by Burning Homestead in the final film?

Oh, my memory of the film has definitely waned then, I need a second viewing. What does the aforementioned Force Theme statement  (3.20 on the FYC) represent in the final film again?

That whole section of the film was pretty overwhelming visually and in the sound mix. Really struggled to isolate the music.

It is when

Spoiler

Rey and Ren grapple with each other, both holding their lightsabers, before Rey beats him down at the end of the fight

It's a fantastic musical moment, but suffers under the sound effects.

Ah hah, well that's that! Disappointing it was mixed so lowly, I don't remember hearing it cinematically at all. :(

What part of the OST was overwritten with the tracked ANH section then? 0:12 to 0:25?

On the OST track "The Ways Of The Force", 0:00-0:45 is Williams' intended music for Kylo Ren attempting to Force-Pull Luke's saber to himself, but Rey being the one to do it instead, and turning it on.  In the final film, ~0:12-0:34 was replaced by the Burning Homestead recording from 1977.

The OST then jumps past the X-Wing stuff to continue into the rest of the Ren/Rey fight from 0:45-end.

The FYC, on the other hand, omits the "Rey Gets The Lightsaber" music entirely, instead opening with the X-Wing music before also continuing into the music for the Rey/Ren fight.

Ah hah! Thanks for clearing that up. I thought the bigger Force Theme statement at the end of the cue was the one replaced, mostly because I had no memory of hearing it in the film! Glad I was wrong, but hopefully the sound mix didn't dial it too low as to be practically inaudible. Those pesky sound mixers! :o

I've begun work on my edit and I'm puzzled by the ending of the FYC's "The Attack in the Jakku Village Part 2." Can anyone confirm that these last 15 seconds (which were clearly edited onto the end of the cue as heard on the OST) were similarly edited into the same spot in the film?

Yes, I can confirm that. The entire track is identical to what's in the film. Those last 15 seconds cover the shuttles returning to the Star Destroyer and Poe being marched through the hangar, ending with that final note playing as Finn enters the center of the frame.  The music then continues immediately in the film.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes, I can confirm that. The entire track is identical to what's in the film. Those last 15 seconds cover the shuttles returning to the Star Destroyer and Poe being marched through the hangar, ending with that final note playing as Finn enters the center of the frame.  The music then continues immediately in the film.

Thank you! :)

What about 6:41-6:49 in the FYC's "Follow Me and The Falcon"? I assume that moment plays the same way in the film, but do we know where it's from? The rest of the sequence is identical between the OST and FYC, other than microedits in both and tracking in the FYC, but am I right in thinking that those 8 seconds aren't heard elsewhere in either album? My guess is that it's tracked from some unreleased cue but I'm curious if anyone else knows.

EDIT: Never mind, it's from " Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle "!

20 minutes ago, Datameister said:

Thank you! :)

What about 6:41-6:49 in the FYC's "Follow Me and The Falcon"? I assume that moment plays the same way in the film, but do we know where it's from? The rest of the sequence is identical between the OST and FYC, other than microedits in both and tracking in the FYC, but am I right in thinking that those 8 seconds aren't heard elsewhere in either album? My guess is that it's tracked from some unreleased cue but I'm curious if anyone else knows.

6:41 - 6:49 is indeed tracked, from a cue that appears later in the film (I heard it twice in theater). I'm not sure which one precisely - quite possibly, it doesn't appear on both the OST album and the FYC promo.

The Force Awakens will get deleted scenes on the Bluray but no extended version.

“There will be deleted scenes, but not an extended version,” Abrams told us after the panel for his upcoming Hulu series 11.22.63 at the Television Critics Association’s press tour in Beverly Hills on Saturday.

We also asked what the longest cut of the film was before he edited it down to two hours and 16 minutes for theatrical release.

“I don’t know what the longest cut was,” Abrams said. “Probably, if it were with credits, close to two hours and 50 minutes was the first cut.”

What are the odds Williams recorded music for many of the deleted scenes, considering the unusual post-production schedule? Something to look forward to, hopefully!

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/09/force-awakens-dvd

On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 3:25 PM, Ricard said:

It works almost perfectly because it's the more chronological of his recent albums. Fortunately he didn't do his typical "listening experience" thing this time.

I wish he had. He knows best.

If you play the album on random, then slide the main titles and end credits to their proper places, and slap the concert themes after the main titles, you get as good an album sequence as John Williams.