The Force Awakens - Complete Score Breakdown & Chronological Order (Film Spoilers Allowed)

Jay

Is it me, or is the March which was replaced from the Attack on Jakku sounds related to the music when Hux mentions the resistance in the restored Parage Grounds sequence, which in turn sounds pretty similar to The Arena from AotC?

(it's most likely me making connections that aren't there, and I'm sorry if someone's suggested this before!)

Yep, I noticed that too. I believe that little motif is actually a theme in the score (because it appears in several other places too). But I'm still flummoxed as to what it might represent. I initially thought it was a B theme for the First Order but now I'm wondering if it's connected to the Resistance, given the rather heroic nature (plus some of its positions in the film). The weird thing then though is why would the Resistance need another theme? 

2 hours ago, Will said:

I initially thought it was a B theme for the First Order but now I'm wondering if it's connected to the Resistance, given the rather heroic nature (plus some of its positions in the film). The weird thing then though is why would the Resistance need another theme? 

If it's the motif I think you're talking about it, it appears as Han and Leia discuss plans in Finn and Po, United on the FYC (1:44). Microedited from the equivalent track on the OST.

44 minutes ago, crumbs said:

If it's the motif I think you're talking about it, it appears as Han and Leia discuss plans in Finn and Po, United on the FYC (1:44). Microedited from the equivalent track on the OST.

No, that one's clearly a First Order (or at least danger) theme. The one we're talking about can be heard here, for example:

And the march version @Bofur01 mentioned can be found here, assuming I'm thinking of the same bit he is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9cEg3TElmWGdUdW8/view

And the parade grounds moment here, at 0:29 (this appearance is surrounded by appearances of the theme you mentioned, Crumbs):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9NXlLWWQxRVQ0WGs/view?pref=2&pli=1

Anyone remember when this 60 sec tv spot for TFA released and we all thought it was new JW music? And then speculated that it was Rey's Theme? Good times. Who knew they were really playing us the music from the final scene of the movie? 

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have a good link for the Lego cue MX_HUBFALCON, aka "You're Han Solo!"?

Disregard, found it! 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Fal said:

First up is the possible alternate to The Jedi Steps:

Unknown Cue 6 (Sorrowful)

I really can't place that cue at all. Possibly a very early draft of his music for Rey's isolated scenes on Jakku? It's very mournful.

It does echo the unreleased cue where Rey cries over Finn in the forest on Starkiller, right before the Falcon/Chewy rescues them. That cue is very short in the final film, perhaps this was an early version which scored a longer cut?

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I really can't place that cue at all. Possibly a very early draft of his music for Rey's isolated scenes on Jakku? It's very mournful.

It does echo the unreleased cue where Rey cries over Finn in the forest on Starkiller, right before the Falcon/Chewy rescues them. That cue is very short in the final film, perhaps this was an early version which scored a longer cut?

I've always liked that little cue btw. Something nicely yearning about it. The strings are deep and rich but still delicate enough for the moment. Solid few seconds of Williams heartbreak.

I'd say I agree with Fal that the beautiful little unknown cue is an alternate "Jedi Steps." It seems to match up pretty well with the scene in terms of timing.

And, man, that pizzicato bit sounds way better now! Really fun. Very unusual, streamlined orchestration for JW (e.g. the awesome low string ostinato). 

The unknown winds sound like a statement of the map theme. Maybe it's from one of the many versions of the opening ("Starry Night"). 

3 hours ago, Fal said:

This link doesn't appear to be working. 

Otherwise, though, thanks so much!!

I'm amazed by how much better the sound quality is on some of these. Plus this is our first time hearing that full alternate "I Can Fly Anything" segment!

10 hours ago, Fal said:

Dammit JJ, what were you thinking? Probably one of the best cues in the score and they didn't use it!

Really makes you wonder what the original version of the film looked like, and whether these "bigger" cues were JW's idea or JJ's. The final score is far more restrained (especially Solo's death).

2 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Makes you wonder if any of these unused ideas could make it into TLJ.

That had occurred to me too. No reason they wouldn't have temped the film with unused TFA music, for starters. The prequels certainly set a precedent with tracking previous scores!

I reckon JW would've insisted on re-recordings though, given the luxurious recording schedule. They had no reason to re-record Main Title but we know he did that.

That action cue is awesome! Williams was really firing on all cylinders when he went for broke in TFA.

Can't help but feel a little disappointed that most of it was jettisoned in favour of a more contemplative, restrained score.

It's fascinating to hear at alternate and unused moments of course and I surely hope they will be officially released one day (didn't JJ Baby said something about the unused music being released at some point?)

However, we knew since day one that JW kept rewriting to accomodate the picture changes up until one month before release. It surely was a daunting challenge considering he's still doing it all by himself with pencil and paper. Someone might say that the score didn't live up to the (terribly high) expectations, but I believe it was a mighty effort from JW in the end. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, that's neat!

Anyways, that's not a true reel/part (slate is the wrong word, that's for the take numbers).  This sheet music is for the live concert, so it conforms to the final edits made to the music for the film, that the musicians have to recreate live.  Originally those three cues ("Main Title", "Starry Night", and "The Invasion of the Village") could have been 1M1, 1M2, and 1M3 for all we know; for the live concerts there's no reason to include that detail, so they just put 1M1 and are done with it.  They are joined together like this because the musicians have to play all that music consecutively before they get to rest.

On 06/11/2017 at 4:32 PM, TownerFan said:

It's fascinating to hear at alternate and unused moments of course and I surely hope they will be officially released one day (didn't JJ Baby said something about the unused music being released at some point?)

However, we knew since day one that JW kept rewriting to accomodate the picture changes up until one month before release. It surely was a daunting challenge considering he's still doing it all by himself with pencil and paper. Someone might say that the score didn't live up to the (terribly high) expectations, but I believe it was a mighty effort from JW in the end. 

There was definitely talk early on about an expanded release.

I'm absolutely certain that it will happen and I doubt very much we'll have to wait more than a few years for it. If I were a betting man I'd feel safe putting a small amount of money on expanded releases soon after the release of Episode 9.

• 3 weeks later...

So... A long time ago, I really fell in love with this TFA Blu-ray doc music:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9ZG41dVRqaVlhLWs/view (Faleel's rip, posted a while back)

There was some debate about whether it was Williams, however.

Now, the reason I'm bringing it up now is because I wonder whether the opening to "Rebellion is Reborn" might sound similar enough that it makes it very likely that the BR music is JW.

I mean, they're not that similar, but I definitely noticed it...

On 23/12/2017 at 12:40 PM, Will said:

So... A long time ago, I really fell in love with this TFA Blu-ray doc music:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9ZG41dVRqaVlhLWs/view (Faleel's rip, posted a while back)

There was some debate about whether it was Williams, however.

Now, the reason I'm bringing it up now is because I wonder whether the opening to "Rebellion is Reborn" might sound similar enough that it makes it very likely that the BR music is JW.

I mean, they're not that similar, but I definitely noticed it...

it's funny that you mention that because I felt the exact same way hearing 'The Rebellion is Reborn' for the first time. I always thought that cue was Williams and that kind of cements it in my mind. I could very easily see it being an alternate for some kind of BB8 or R2 scene.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, yea, we knew that already, which is what he meant by "Another photo of that cue title"

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27124-star-wars-live-to-projection-concerts/&do=findComment&comment=1426601

Are these known slates/cue titles being listed anywhere? I don't see that in the first post and it would be a shame for these to just be forgotten/only known to a select few.

I've seen a few more listed as being seen in two featurettes (I've not been able to actually check these, though):

1M1A (Free Version) (Opening / Starry Night)

1M1 (take 756)

Opening

6M50 R v2 "Han & Leia Reunion" with flute

Rey's Theme (10/7/15 longer version)

Theoretically if you were positioned properly (with binoculars) you could note down all the cue titles by watching the conductor's video screen at the TFA performances.

2 hours ago, CGCJ said:

I've seen a few more listed as being seen in two featurettes (I've not been able to actually check these, though):

1M1A (Free Version) (Opening / Starry Night)

1M1 (take 756)

Opening

6M50 R v2 "Han & Leia Reunion" with flute

Rey's Theme (10/7/15 longer version)

Yeah, those are all the ones I know of. 

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Theoretically if you were positioned properly (with binoculars) you could note down all the cue titles by watching the conductor's video screen at the TFA performances.

Yeah I might consider doing that if I get to go. :lol: