The Force Awakens - Complete Score Breakdown & Chronological Order (Film Spoilers Allowed)

Jay

Did anyone check the recycling dumpster out the back alley of Sony? Some underpaid Disney intern probably threw all the sheet music out.

22 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I have the complete sheet music, and I'm willing to trade it for iTunes gift cards. Anyone interested? I go first.

I am I have $15 Walmart and miremore

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, new to this forum. Can anyone tell me where this cue comes from at 0:50 from the Force Awakens Japanese trailer? It's not on the official soundtrack nor is it an old track from previous Star Wars films. Perhaps just a trailer track?

3 hours ago, Smosef said:

Hi all, new to this forum. Can anyone tell me where this cue comes from at 0:50 from the Force Awakens Japanese trailer? It's not on the official soundtrack nor is it an old track from previous Star Wars films. Perhaps just a trailer track?

I could be wrong, but I think that's from Passion of the Christ or at least it sounds similar.

Edit: It isn't taken from Passion, but the melody is the same.

https://youtu.be/ANXeE-H4Ak8?t=1m59s

7 hours ago, Smosef said:

Whatever it is, John Williams had nothing to do with it

So, I think everything around 1:30 on of That Girl with the Staff might either be intended for Rey's vision, or tracked in.

22 minutes ago, Michael said:

The lack of interest for this is rather surprising.

It's almost certainly unreleased/deleted TFA music, but it's nothing remarkable. Probably an alternate from an early session for the opening sequence, but it's mixed so quietly you can't easily place it.

Seems to be related to March of the Resistance.

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Probably an alternate from an early session for the opening sequence

This.

When I first heard it, I immediately thought of the music that accompanies the arrival of the First Order during that sequence.

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It's almost certainly unreleased/deleted TFA music, but it's nothing remarkable.

But you just remarked on it... ;)

Just now, BloodBoal said:

This.

When I first heard it, I immediately thought of the music that accompanies the arrival of the First Order during that sequence.

Yeah, judging from most behind-the-scenes documentaries, the music in the docos usually correlates with music which scored that scene in the film.

If Williams recorded alternates for the opener (and I wouldn't be surprised; the first and last reels would've been more scrutinised than others) they'd certainly make use of them here. After all, only 5 minutes of score used in the final film doesn't spread over a documentary which might explore that scene for three times as long.

Lord of the Rings documentaries are a good example of this.

31 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

OH MY GOD! THIS MUSIC IS FUCKIN' AWESOME! BEST MUSIC EVAH!!!! PUMP IT UP, JOHNNY!!!!! YOU DA BOMB!!!! IZ DA MUSIC STAR WARS BOMBA MUSICA!!!

post-31053-thank-you-gif-Zach-Galifianak

Found an alternate of Han and Leia in Secrets of The Force Awakens, basically it is Leia's theme with horn instead of Flute and Solo and the Princess with Woodwinds instead of strings.

Found a really cool alternate of something.. Han's Death? or Rey Vs. Kylo?

Clean ending for Jedi Steps!

I don't have the audio file open in front of me right now sorry.

The Big alternate is 1:00:39 of Secrets of the Force Awakens

Just now, Mr. Big said:

Can you describe it?

It starts out like a mix of The Resistance with the opening of On The Inside from the FYC, then it goes big and dramatic with lots of brass and strings, then it quiets down and either goes into an string portion of the cue, or a seperate cue, then a dark Piano and string bit, then dissonant brass (perhaps Han's death?) then really dramatic brass and cymbal Force Theme with Timpani.

There seems to be a playful pizzicato variation of the Action Motif from Follow Me and The Falcon in Crafting Creatures.

ILM featurette has the Trombone (?) Torn Apart alt that Mr. Big mentioned.

ILM featurette has a big variant of the music around 1:40 of Finn and Poe, United.

I'll go out on a limb and guess that Han's death was probably scored 2 or 3 completely different ways before the filmmakers settled on the film version. Hopefully there's a huge, operatic, bombastic alternate out there! :)

Just now, crumbs said:

I'll go out on a limb and guess that Han's death was probably scored 2 or 3 completely different ways before the filmmakers settled on the film version. Hopefully there's a huge, operatic, bombastic alternate out there! :)

Yeah, The "Chewie's Revenge" sequence could have just as easily been scored with solemn dirge music as opposed to the action music that made it into the film and album.  

In the latter video, I believe the few seconds after 1:09 are in the film version of Torn Apart as heard on the FYC, so I'd guess the latter half or so of that track is an alternate for Torn Apart.

The opening of the Big unused cue seems like it would fit with Han's walk towards Kylo on the bridge, stopping dramatically before he screams "Ben!" but they probably decided it was more climatic with just silence.

27 minutes ago, Michael said:

The opening of the Big unused cue seems like it would fit with Han's walk towards Kylo on the bridge.

That would mean that it replaced some of One The Inside.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

The opening part sounds like the four-note First Order motif.  

Reminds me of the end of the FYC cue Finn and Poe, Reunited and the opening of the FYC On the Inside.

Legacy of the Dark Side (Alternate)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9NEt2VmpfUTRZTTA/view?usp=sharing

Leia's theme on the Horn sounds absolutely lovely, much more fitting for the age and change of the character. Also for some reason I like the woodwind version of Han and the Princess much better than the film version, it sounds more classical somehow.

7 hours ago, Faleel said:

There is zero doubt in my mind this is an alternate for Han's Death, surely the scene above all others that would've had alternates recorded. Killing Han Solo was always going to be tough to pull off and they probably didn't know how it would play until the whole film was assembled; in JJ's position I would've asked Williams for several different musical approaches to his death as well.

In musical storytelling terms, it's a masterclass. The Force Theme tragically trying to form on brass but almost having the life sucked out of it by the counterpoint. Incapable of completing its full bars as the darkness of Kylo Ren overwhelms the light. What a comedy of riches for JJ to have Williams writing this sort of music but able to leave it on the studio floor.

Very curious now if The Starkiller had a less emotional alternate as well; could easily have been scored with a more tense, action-oriented cue.

that Han's Death alternate cue is absolutely gorgeous. I believe that rising motif at the start plays during the Attack on Jakku Village on the OST. I feel like the Starkiller music shouldn't have been tracked into that moment, the music there really drives home the tragedy more with the straining Force theme and its not as muted. that sort of music serves a melancholic scene like the firing of Starkiller base but not something as significant as the death of Han.

So the inserts in this score had inserts. Heck, by the sounds of things, the inserts for the inserts probably had inserts too. It's Incertception.

3 hours ago, ChewyBomber said:

Hey, I don't know if it has been done already but I "isolated" some unreleased music from the film, it's available here: 

Thanks! "Preparing For Assault/Bring Him Home" and "You Need A Pilot" are real gems. "Group Enters Base" is also great. Many of those cues you "isolated" were ones I didn't really notice when I watched the film so thanks for bringing them to my attention.

BTW I've been noticing some repeating musical ideas throughout some of those cues you "isolated" as well as the alternates from the documentaries, ideas that before I either hadn't heard/noticed at all or thought were isolated to one point in the score and I now realize happen more than once (motifs?). If I have time later I will try to post some examples. 

5 hours ago, ChewyBomber said:

Hey, I don't know if it has been done already but I "isolated" some unreleased music from the film.

Would it be possible for you to isolate the cue "Landing At Lightspeed" (the one where the Falcon lands on Starkiller Base, bursting through the trees)?

22 hours ago, Mr. Big said:

Woah

Indeed. That's a powerhouse of a cue (or cues?)

1 hour ago, Bill said:

BTW I've been noticing some repeating musical ideas throughout some of those cues you "isolated" as well as the alternates from the documentaries, ideas that before I either hadn't heard/noticed at all or thought were isolated to one point in the score and I now realize happen more than once (motifs?). If I have time later I will try to post some examples. 

Here are some examples of places where I heard musical ideas multiple times in the score. Some of these ideas might be motifs and in others cases there might not be any thematic link. Unless otherwise noted, the timestamps and titles refer to the YouTube videos posted by ChewyBomber. 

2:30-end of "Bring Him Home" and :05-:38 of "Group Enters Base" share the same melody. 

:07-:20 of "You Need A Pilot" has a musical idea that sounds similar to what plays in the film at the moment Ren kills Han and the string stuff heard on the OST track "Snoke" (this is one I think is almost certainly coincidental because I can't imagine what the thematic link could be from "You Need A Pilot" to those two other cues)

:20-:27 of "Preparing For Assault" and :17-:20, :24-:27, and :50-:53 of the "BIG unknown Unused Cue/Alternate" (that "BIG alternate" as posted by Faleel) share a melody. 

I believe the march music at the beginning of the "Star Wars Force Awakens Documentary Clip: Poe Comes Back" as posted earlier in this thread and :28-:35 or so in the "BIG unknown Unused Cue/Alternate" as posted by Faleel share the same musical idea (and I think there is a very similar passage somewhere in the Jakku Village Attack sequence; I can't remember exactly where though). 

I'm looking forward to hearing the thoughts of my fellow JW fans on which of these, if any, seem like motifs (and if so, what might they represent?) and which do not. 

You can hear the Finn/Action Motif in the pre-Rebel Fanfare portion of Landing at Lightspeed cue.

Also the film and OST versions of Escape of the Millennium Falcon are the same, the OST is just microedited.