Ranking JW's 21st century scores

Alex

On 2/4/2016 at 6:46 PM, hornist said:

Nooooooo!!!!! The Book Thief is one of his best scores, but that you knew;)

ij4

They all can't be among his best scores.

that makes the word best meaningless.

"The Book Thief" is a functional score and that's about it, although the film didn't really allow Williams to unleash glorious flowing themes and stunningly complex action cues. I do enjoy the suite though. That's why I'm really looking forward to "The BFG". Something that isn't Star Wars (I did love TFA though) or a historical drama.

I agree that it isn't necessarily anything special, but I'd love to hear hornist tell us what he sees in it, since obviously he feels quite strongly, and as a musician must have good reason.

I agree regarding THE BOOK THIEF. The film is maudlin Oscar-bait (didn't receive any, though, did it?), and Williams' score is functional. Which is weird, since it was HE who wanted to do it, based on his love for the book. One would think there was a deeper well of inspiration there.

But hey -- even functional Williams is better than a LOT of stuff out there. It's a pleasant album, when all is said and done.

He may have not seen the film before signing on to it. Also, there have been a fair share of these smaller scores ('Accidental Tourist', 'Stanley and Iris', 'Stepmom', 'Presumed Innocent' for instance) that had pretty themes but weren't exactly setting the world on fire as a whole so maybe expectations defied us here.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

He may have not seen the film before signing on to it. Also, there have been a fair share of these smaller scores ('Accidental Tourist', 'Stanley and Iris', 'Stepmom', 'Presumed Innocent' for instance) that had pretty themes but weren't exactly setting the world on fire as a whole so maybe expectations defied us here.

Maybe. But I adore all of those "smaller" scores you mention (PRESUMED INNOCENT less so, but still with a more pronounced presence and identity -- maybe due to the many variations of the main theme)

Nobody forces you to un-adore them. But with their often endlessly stretched piano lines and general boring pleasantness they don't exactly make a case for the maestro's biggest talent (which is the big symphony orchestra).

I think Williams' talents stretch way beyond the big symphony orchestra, although that is one of his major strengths. In fact, one could argue that his jazz talents, for example, are on the same level as his symphonic writing.

They are but i was talking about his approach to chamber-sized film scoring. I highly doubt that Williams would dare to expose, say, a concertgoer to a piece as monotonous and variation-less as 'Accidental Tourist' (hence the satisfying 5-minute suite). Colleague Elmer Bernstein was much more interesting to listen to in his many chamber-sized scores around the same time (though fired from the movies half of the time!). After 1994, he did few movies in that idiom but there were several excellent parts for small instrumental group in  i. e. ROSEWOOD or MEMOIRS.

Hard to speculate in such things. I would certainly welcome a concert treatment of those 'small' Williams scores. I think what I love so much about them could be easily transcribed to an interesting suite format of some kind (there's a potenial 'guitar suite/piece' in STEPMOM, for example). But I doubt it's ever going to happen.

51 minutes ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

The Book Thief is to hornist what Always is to me.

I used to REALLY dislike ALWAYS, but it has grown considerably on me in later years (as my general music taste has changed), even that seemingly aimless "Heaven" track. Today, I would say I vastly prefer ALWAYS over THE BOOK THIEF.

File it under 'endearing quirkiness'. I mean, 'Always' is just of so little consequence one wouldn't even think of sticking a strong label like 'dislike' on it. I quite like the one long cue but you know...

I like E.T. and Elliot's enthusiasm for the score! I know all about championing scores and styles that aren't well-liked by a majority of film score fans. From his username, though, I would think E.T. was his favourite score?

Oh man, that's a lot of scores to rank. Although Book Thief is not one of JW's best modern scores, it does have some incredibly beautiful moments. When I have the soundtrack playing in the background, there are times I'm completely surprised by how beautiful and delicate the score is.

In context of this thread i'd rather listen to the trumpet concerto. A marvellous piece and not hampered by lame movie conventions:

http://site-323590.bcvp0rtal.com/detail/videos/living-composers/video/4717172146001/john-williams-trumpet-concerto?autoStart=true

• 2 months later...

Revenge of the Sith
Lincoln
Memoirs of a Geisha
The Prisoner of Azkaban
The Adventures of Tintin
The Force Awakens
The Patriot
The Sorcerer's Stone

Minority Report
Munich
Attack of the Clones
The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
The Chamber of Secrets

War Horse
Catch Me If You Can
The Book Thief

I've never listened to War of the Worlds, AI, or The Terminal.

Not sure why those three have been singled out, but that needs to be rectified!  Something worth hearing in all of them, although, admittedly, I have not listened to War of the Worlds in over 5 years, and it's obvious at this point that A.I. is something of an acquired taste (for the record, one of my favorites).  The Terminal is great, and even for someone who may not like the score start to finish, there are still a handful of terrific tracks on there, especially the ones that involve the love theme.

War of the Worlds is a very interesting score from JW. Some of the cues do carry an odd, creepy, alien soundscape while others are more like his typical 2000s era energetic action music. The little bit of thematic material is not particularly strong but I'm glad the score exists. We'll probably never get another score like it from JW and that's reason enough for me to find it a pretty interesting listen.

2 hours ago, Bellosh said:

I'm really surprised that War Horse is not ranked that high on many of these lists.

Me too. By far his best work in the 2010s, and I doubt he's going to match it in the remaining 4 years of the decade.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Me too. By far his best work in the 2010s, and I doubt he's going to match it in the remaining 4 years of the decade.

The more I listen to it, the more it grows on me. I still would argue that Tintin and TFA are superior, but all his post 2010 work has been pretty outstanding

7 hours ago, Thor said:

I think Warhorse is fantastic, but I have a hunch he is going to exceed it within two months time. 

The Force Awakens

Memoirs of a Geisha

The Sorcerer's Stone

The Adventures of Tintin

The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

The Terminal

The Chamber of Secrets

The Prisoner of Azkaban

A. I.

Catch Me If You Can

Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones

War Of The Worlds

The Patriot

Lincoln

Minority Report

Munich

War Horse

The Book Thief

Just now, Tom said:

I agree. I guess I was speaking to the pastoral scores.

Ah, ok.  Are we sure The BFG will be pastoral though?  I'd like it to be pastoral but I'm getting more of a "Harry Potter" vibe from the trailers.

Probably not pastoral through and through, but the flute has me thinking magic/pastoral mix for the Sophie moments.  But, I could be way off. 

On 16 May 2016 at 0:41 PM, hornist said:

With that logic, lets say The Book Thief, Lincoln and BFG are the most beautiful noise I ever heard.

That's kinda what I meant, Horny. JW at his worst is better than some composers at their very best. Any JW is better than no JW at all, but those two listed by me are the acme of his 2000 and beyond output.

Just a cotton-pickin' moment (cough, splutter) You've heard "BFG"?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a very tough choice. :o

For me, the tracks I like are more important to my liking of the soundtrack than the soundtrack itself.  The whole soundtrack being terrific is an added bonus.

My favorite tracks, in no particular order, are:

-hedwig's theme

-the face of voldemort 

-leaving hogwarts

-harry's wondrous world

-across the stars

-fawkes the phoenix

-buckbeak's flight

-aunt marge's waltz

-rey's theme

-kylo ren's motif (not really a full track)

-jedi steps & finale

Yes, I haven't listened to all of the soundtracks from the 2000s, so my choices are a little limited.

What soundtracks or tracks does anyone think I would like based on these tracks?

Looks like you've heard Harry Potter 1-3 & TFA already, so I would suggest Tintin and Memoirs of a Geisha next

"The Mecha World" from AI is an absolutely outstanding cue. In fact the whole of AI is a hidden gem from JW's post 2000 work.