The Force Awakens 2CD Expanded Score coming Q1 2016?

Amer

7 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

Except most Star Wars fans love the prequel scores.

You'd figure that even a half-competent exec with half a brain would know that if any movie is going to sell it's fucking Star Wars.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Then in 30 years we'll get the unused alternates in a Matessino-produced 3CD set :P

True fans won't rest until we get the 80 second first teaser music!

If this movie becomes the biggest selling movie of all time (it's almost guaranteed to be at least second, it'll get over a billion by the end of the week) then they would be absolutely foolish not to capitalize on releasing an expanded score next year.

Didn't the sessions leak for that though?

And regardless of what I think of Horner's regurgitated score, it was still foolish to not release an official expanded.  Everyone would have picked it up anyway.

I very much hope that there will be an expanded release, I mean, we've gotten one for all of Giacchino's Star Treks which is surprising, but great. I know they're two different studios, but I hope Disney doesn't overlook this opportunity, and provides us with the film's complete full score (not necessarily all the unused music, because that would have to be some 3 or 4 disc set..), along with all the concert arrangements. It would be the best way to release this in my opinion. And yes, everything you could possibly want for Avatar is indeed 'out there'. It's crazy the same has not occurred for specific films, sagas, etc.

On 12/23/2015 at 1:21 AM, Koray Savas said:

Avatar actually had a deluxe edition soundtrack after the OST, though it only had something like 4 extra cues.

On 12/23/2015 at 1:31 AM, Taikomochi said:

And they were all synth demos. :pukeface:

Yeah, so I hope The Force Awakens Deluxe soundtrack would not be similar to Avatar's, even though I love that score so much.

And let's pray it won't be like TPM's Ultimate Edition, right?

15 hours ago, Jay said:

Even if the 2CD set doesn't have all the unused original versions of cues, if it simply has the final version of each cue in complete form with no edits, from the beginning of the movie to the end, followed by the four concert arrangements, that'd be a great 2CD set.

Then in 30 years we'll get the unused alternates in a Matessino-produced 3CD set :P

Hey that set would be enough until Mike M. did his magic. :)

8 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It's just another case of Williams being lazy.

That hack!

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

An Ultimate Edition of TFA would not be so bad because the score isn't hacked to bits to the extent the Prequels were.

It would still suck to lose the chance of getting everything as written. And you know it. Please, no UE-style debacle.

This FYC already is like the Ultimate Edition of TPM, just not complete. But it's exactly what's heard in the film, unchanged

As bad as the "UE" was (and boy I remember we all were so pumped to get it then threw an absolute hissy fit temper tantrum about it being almost an isolated score), it's still nowhere near as bad as... well... NOTHING. Like we got for the other two Prequels. If it not for video games, it'd be woefully pathetic. Especially Sith.

The TPM UE was a blessing because the sound quality was so good and it had so much music that hadn't turned up in games yet.  But Lucas had edited the score in the final cut of the film so much, it was just painful to listen to in parts.

A similar release for TFA wouldn't be that painful, but of course we'd prefer them to hire a producer who will go through the untouched session tracks, and not take anything directly from the film's audio track.

I'll agree that the TPM UE had great sound and a wealth of gorgeous previously unreleased material.

But from a producer's standpoint, it was an absolute fuck-up. I always cringe when I see people going "well, I'd settle for another UE-style release just to get more music..." If they're going to put out an expanded soundtrack that'll likely cost about $30, I'd like it to be done properly. Especially if you consider that every botched attempt at an expanded release means it's unlikely we'll get a proper release within the next decade or so. And especially if you consider how unusual expanded Star Wars releases have become. I don't know what Disney's strategy is going to be, but Sony has practically ignored the UE, coasted on the OST's for the prequel trilogies and has been repackaging the RCA/Victor releases since 2004.

It's time to do the next expansion properly!

I wonder if the current 2CD rumour is just a confusion based on the upcoming LP release - I believe there's a 2LP album coming out, right?

But...

Even before I saw Pope's post and the comments (and this thread, which I only read just now), I've considered that a sooner rather than later expansion for TFA might be more likely than for most other JW or SW scores. Consider Giacchino's Trek scores, which have had timely expansions on Varese of all labels. In case Abrams was in any capacity involved in making this happen, he might also encourage a TFA expansion. And while I don't think there's any chance of Intrada handling this (Disney will surely want to do it on their own), their relationship with Disney and Matessino's relationship with Williams might just help making it real. (And if it does well, it might even help eventual expansions/remasters of the other 6 scores down the road).

Hi Guys, Sorry been busy this past week. Im trying to find the post on facebook. Its either been deleted or I possibly read it on some other Musicians page. But It was definitely where I read it. Let me find it and get back to you...

UPDATE: here it is: 

Michael Trig There is a full score 2 CD set For The Force Awakens coming in the first quarter of 2016. That I know for a fact. And no, I can't tell you how I know, else the person giving me that info won't tell me anymore. Now based on ONLY my opinion, I don't think there were any Expanded versions of Attack Of The Clones or Revenge Of The Sith because of the fan outcry over not liking the movies. No matter how much we soundtrack/score enthusiasts love our full score collections, some companies won't put that kind of money behind expanded releases for films that are so widely hated by the very fans that would make up their sales demographic.

Found the post: But it was posted elsewhere on Intrada Soundtrack Club facebook page. Here is the scoop: As I said it earlier its not confirmed. Since there were many postings on the cd that period of time,I thought it was Conrad Popes .But its not. Still we can ássume' if this is legitimate or not depending whose source this insider guys is? 

5 minutes ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

TPM UE doesn't sound muddy like the OST, but it's dynamically compressed.

Are you sure about that? I find it's puncher and of course far less reverby than the OST. It almost reminds me of the sound quality of Ifukube's 1990s Godzilla scores from Toshiba/Futureland, and those are my go-to reference discs.

Well exactly, he wouldn't say he's forbidden from talking about it unless he's signed a contract forbidding him from discussing it! Put two and two together.

As for the prequels, Disney won't wait until Sony's contract expires to start working on it. They'd be getting those prepped in advance to allow for a release the week Sony's ownership finishes. The recording sessions are owned and stored at Lucasfilm, after all.

You are right. Is not that they can't work with the material. They just cannot do a commercial release until Sony's contract expires. I'm sure new releases are in the works, at least on the first stages.

According to Facebook that Michael Trig guy only lives a 3 hour drive from me. Perhaps I'll pay him a visit and extract the info from his skull like Kylo Ren.

And fail like Kylo Ren did. :P

5 hours ago, Chris ChrusherComix said:

According to Facebook that Michael Trig guy only lives a 3 hour drive from me. Perhaps I'll pay him a visit and extract the info from his skull like Kylo Ren.

And fail like Kylo Ren did. :P

You can always go back to the basics!

image_2fc196dc.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1560%

• 1 month later...

Was the FSM user "jfallon" related to this rumor?  Because he posted this there yesterday:

"Ashamed to admit my source was a Best Buy rep. When he searched for the Force Awakens album in the store last month he saw on his computer that there was another 2cd Awakens release set for Jan."

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=96000&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=17&r=471#bottom