Is 2015 the best year ever as far as JW releases go?

Josh500

We've had good years before, sure, but...

I mean, come on!!! It's getting ridiculous.

The Force Awakens

A.I. Complete

Jaws Complete

Jaws 2 Complete 

Home Alone Complete 

Close Encounters OS Rereleased

Tom Sawyer Complete 

Lost in Space 

1941 Complete Reissue

The Long Goodbye 

Interesting question. Guess it depends what people covet more: complete releases of his best scores or OST releases of brand new scores  (in which case 2005 looks pretty damn unbeatable with Sith, WOTW, MOAG and Munich).

I'm inclined to think most people here would prefer another year in which JW produced 4 brand new scores than, say, a complete Harry Potter set.

But, in any event, those days are behind him.

You forgot the LLL 1941 reissue (and a couple other minor things) :) But yes, this has been a pretty incredible year for us Williams fans. The best, though? I really don't know.

You forgot Lost In Space!

Also 1941 and The Long Goodbye expanded editions were re-issued this year.

And since you mentioned the straight OST reissue if Close Encounters, well the original OSTs to Home Alone, ET, Jaws, and Jaws 2 were also reissued this year.

So......... yes!

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Interesting question. Guess it depends what people covet more, complete releases of his best scores or OST releases of brand new scores  (in which case 2005 looks pretty damn unbeatable with Sith, WOTW, MOAG and Munich).

I prefer OSTs of brand new scores, for the most part. For me the experience of hearing brand new Williams themes usually trumps that of hearing previously unreleased versions of old Williams themes (themes that we've already heard many times). 

No, I don't think so. Maybe if you like expanded releases, but otherwise, the year has been pretty meager, Williams-wise. Really only one interesting thing for me, and that's TFA (and even that was a bit disappointing). But a couple of concert pieces, let's not forget those.

TOM SAWYER was good, though. That deserved a release with more of Williams' original material.

I knew I forgot some... :D OP updated.

Sure, I think I prefer 2005 and 2002 and possibly 1993 too, but a New Star Wars score AND A.I. Complete? These 2 alone make this year one of the very best!

It's certainly one of the best in terms of material release.  The quality of TFA alone is enough to make it a stellar year, but you throw in Jaws in beautiful complete and remastered sound?  The much coveted Jaws 2, and my personal favorite A.I. as a 3CD set?  Goodness mercy.

Did any expanded or complete releases come out in 2005? Think that would tip the scales IMHO. Four new scores all so varying and rich in nature, is pretty hard to top.

Not disagreeing that this year has been incredible and AI expanded could be my favorite soundtrack release ever. 

• 2 years later...

Well, has 2015 been beaten in your opinion?

2015:

NEW The Force Awakens

EXPANDED A.I. - Artificial Intelligence

EXPANDED Home Alone

EXPANDED Jaws

EXPANDED Jaws 2

2016:

NEW The BFG

EXPANDED Jurassic Park

EXPANDED The Lost World

2017:

NEW The Last Jedi

NEW The Post

EXPANDED Stanley & Iris

EXPANDED E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial

EXPANDED Close Encounters of the Third Kind

On 24/12/2015 at 12:08 AM, crumbs said:

Oh. :(

Well, fingers crossed for Lost World and Potter expanded! 

I was half correct! Should I make another prediction about future expansions?

5 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

2017:

NEW The Last Jedi

NEW The Post

EXPANDED Stanley & Iris

EXPANDED E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial

EXPANDED Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Last year really was fantastic for us. Even 2018 is going well with a massive expansion of TLJ music and another new theme in the Star Wars universe.

I have to reiterate what I said in 2015. If you like expansions, it might be good, but otherwise it's a rather meager year. THE POST was great, and the premiere release of PETE'N'TILLE a delightful surprise. But otherwise, not that much interesting to me. I think if I were to pick a favourite year, it would be a year that saw the premiere of several great Williams titles (films and concert works). I haven't quite gone through his career for that particular purpose yet.

His most busy year, 1966, certainly stands as a milestone, even if it was meager in terms of releases per se.

I guess it depends on how you define it. If it's purely by the release of previously unreleased/unheard John Williams music, then I don't think 2002 or 2005 can be topped.

Combined, I think the latter 4 scores would be longer in duration than the 4 scores in 2002?

Just now, Richard said:

Both 2002, and 2005 weren't holidays, either, with four scores in each year.

@Thor, what made '66 so busy?

FIVE feature films (even if he may have begun work on some of these in '65), premiere of his symphony and a couple of handfuls of TV episodes.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Both 2002, and 2005 weren't holidays, either, with four scores in each year.

Don't forget 1997!

For me 2016 wins, because of TLW. Nothing else is relevant. The 2017 expansions are all cool, but they're all just closing chapters and didn't bring a ton of unreleased music. 2015 was awesome, because of AI.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

How often can one person reuse the same twelve notes?

Using each note only once, and without different values, 12! - 1 = 479,001,599 times.