The Episode 8 speculation thread. (Spoilers for The Force Awakens)

Based upon what we have seen in Ep 7, it might be fun to speculate what will happen next.

Luke and Rey

While I think Luke will end up training her, it will certainly not happen straight away. He ran away after his pupils turned to the Dark Side. And his comes this girl with apparently very high Force sensitivity (who he may or may not know).

He will be very reluctant to train her, will possibly resent her even being there. He will feel that Han's death is because of his failure as a teacher. Rey will probably use that to convince him to either start training her, or to come back to the known universe.

One definite difference between Rey and the Luke from Star Wars is that at no point in TFA she shows any interest or willingness to become a Jedi Knight. She barely seems to be ware that she is Force sensitive thoughout most of the movie, and even less of an idea as to what that might mean. (the film actually doesnt explain in any way why it is Rey and not anyone else who goes to the Jedi steps.)

Finn and Poe

Hard to say really. Some new mission? Some new treat? I really don't have a clue. Could be anything. Hopefully something original.

Kylo Ren

The completion of his training. Hunting for the girl with strong Force powers who nearly beaten him.

It will be interesting to see how much time has passed between the finale and the start of Episode VIII.  I want to see the initial interactions between Luke and Rey, but for the sake of film pacing, my guess would be that some time will have passed between TFA and VIII.  Maybe that initial training period will be more of a book/comic thing.

I think my theory on R2 explains why it was Rey who went to Luke. I think it will be explained that Luke intended R2 to only give them the map when Rey is present, which is why he didn't give them the map midway through because Rey wasn't there. Luke intended her to come to him. But she had to show she was willing and able, which she did through her finding the lightsaber and discovering her power. Rey is now worthy.

Has anyone thought of a potential title? 

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Dark Jedi Knight Rises.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

So you are going on the theory that Luke knows Rey?

Yes. I think he has been reaching to her through the force. Hence her having thoughts and dreams of an island in an ocean where she eventually found Luke, and seeing Luke too in her lightsaber vision.

Possible. I wonder if it's not actually The Force itself though. Working to bring Rey and Luke together rather then Luke being an active participant at this time.

That would explain the concept of the "awakening".

Abrams mentioned in a recent interview with EW why R2 didn't wake up right away, for story reasons and then in-universe reasons.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-abrams-answers-burning-question-about-r2-d2-star-wars-force-awakens

The novelization tells a different tale.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-11-biggest-differences-between-the-book-and-movie-v-1749329046

Either way, neither of those two things actually were part of the onscreen telling, so Ep VIII could retcon that.

True. I think Ep.8 will go back and explain the missing pieces before moving on. I think they'll show full scenes from Rey's vision. Like perhaps Luke will say how Ren destroyed it all and that Knights of Ren in the rain flash will show more and Luke's hand on R2 telling him to keep the map safe, and Rey being abandoned as a child etc. I want Rey to be like a reincarnation of the prophecy. Just a no one who the force has chosen. She is another chosen one to bring balance etc.

9 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

That was Lucas' mistake not to show some of the more interesting stuff!

I'm not convinced that this would count as "interesting stuff," especially if it takes Rey out of the action for a substantial part of the beginning of the movie.  Training stuff worked well in Empire as a breather in the middle of the film, but imagine all of the Dagobah scenes taking place before the Battle of Hoth, asteroid chase, etc. 

It's all idle speculation until we see the movie, of course.  They could work that into the beginning in a structurally sound way.

I reckon Anakin will appear to Rey or Kylo. Somebody speculated that if Anakin appears before Kylo, he won't be Anakin, but Snoke performing a strong mind-trick on Kylo. ("Show me again the power of the Dark Side").

Rey's origins will be explained (I reckon she's Luke's daughter). There will definitely be a duel between Rey and Kylo again.

Whatever is left of the New Republic's military forces after the destruction of Hosnian Prime will assemble and the Second Galactic Civil War (tentative title) will commence. We should see some space battles.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Hayden Christensen will return! Yay!

That actually is a rumour doing the rounds at the moment, that he is in the US training for an appearance "of some sort" in Episode VIII.

3 hours ago, Gistech said:

That actually is a rumour doing the rounds at the moment, that he is in the US training for an appearance "of some sort" in Episode VIII.

Maybe Snoke shows Ren the security holograms of Anakin going batshit crazy. 

I think that the EU will have some use to predict future films.

In the EU, Solo's daughter, is in love with an imperial pilot. Maybe Poe dameron will be Rey's love interest. Sorry Ffinn...

If they continue the trendof previous films... bu the least 2-3 years will pass between ep7 and 8. Ren will be already trained or in the last steps of training, same like what happened in ROTJ. Out of nowhere Luke was already almost a Jedi Knight.

Big news here, folks. The opening for the next film has already been leaked. (Major spoiler warning):

As the yellow words of the opening crawl vanish into the starfield, the camera descends through space. . . .

. . . and into the atmosphere of a planet. Snow-covered mountain peaks stretch into the distance. The camera continues downward, panning in slow circles as it moves through rocky crags blanketed in white. Voices can be heard echoing from a distance, the words not entirely clear. A massive, dark structure is revealed below, and the shot turns toward it as it grows closer, larger, until finally the POV reaches it's gleaming metal surface . . . then passes directly through, down through layers of steel, wires, and piping, before emerging above a narrow catwalk spanning a circular chasm.

Two figures stand near its center. One, a young man robed in black, says, "I need you to help me do something." The other, an aged, scruffy-looking man, says, "Anything." Suddenly, a sizzling, chaotic beam of red ignites and passes through the older man's midsection. He grimaces, then reaches up to touch the young man's face. A Wookie standing on a walkway above throws his head back and howls in anger and grief. The blade of light vanishes as instantly as it appeared. The older man sways . . . then topples off into the abyss.

The camera races after him, following him as he tumbles downward into the depths. He's still alive somehow, clutching his abdomen. Something moves just below him. His blaster pistol, having fallen out of its holster, is spinning in the air nearby. He reaches out and takes it. As he passes deeper and deeper, the light from below grows brighter. He passes structures seething with energy that jut from the sides of the chasm. On a hunch, he points his blaster and begins to fire. The red bolts pierce the towers. Flashes of heat and blinding light burst in their wake. As they recede into the air above him, several buckle, twist, and explode. Others he hasn't shot at begin to detonate as well. He's done it. He's started a chain reaction. . . .

The view cuts to a long shot in an enormous, domed room. The tiny figure of Han's body emerges from the emptiness above, falling slowly toward the reactor in the center. Flashes and fire begin to burst from the surrounding walls as the entire structure begins to self-destruct. Succumbing at last, Han's eyes close as he disappears into the flood of white light eminating from the gigantic core--

--and Rey flinches hard as she wakes up on the ground near the Jedi Temple. Just a dream. Or perhaps . . . a vision? Could it have been Han who caused the destruction of the Starkiller. . . ?

Okay, that's not really the leaked opening for Ep. VIII. (I was jess kiddin'). Nothing more than a harmless bit of derivative fun. But try playing that sequence out in your mind's eye while listening to "Glamdring." Just try it. I did, and got goosebumps the size of golf balls. . . .

1 hour ago, Uni said:

Big news here, folks. The opening for the next film has already been leaked. (Major spoiler warning):

As the yellow words of the opening crawl vanish into the starfield, the camera descends through space. . . .

. . . and into the atmosphere of a planet. Snow-covered mountain peaks stretch into the distance. The camera continues downward, panning in slow circles as it moves through rocky crags blanketed in white. Voices can be heard echoing from a distance, the words not entirely clear. A massive, dark structure is revealed below, and the shot turns toward it as it grows closer, larger, until finally the POV reaches it's gleaming metal surface . . . then passes directly through, down through layers of steel, wires, and piping, before emerging above a narrow catwalk spanning a circular chasm.

Two figures stand near its center. One, a young man robed in black, says, "I need you to help me do something." The other, an aged, scruffy-looking man, says, "Anything." Suddenly, a sizzling, chaotic beam of red ignites and passes through the older man's midsection. He grimaces, then reaches up to touch the young man's face. A Wookie standing on a walkway above throws his head back and howls in anger and grief. The blade of light vanishes as instantly as it appeared. The older man sways . . . then topples off into the abyss.

The camera races after him, following him as he tumbles downward into the depths. He's still alive somehow, clutching his abdomen. Something moves just below him. His blaster pistol, having fallen out of its holster, is spinning in the air nearby. He reaches out and takes it. As he passes deeper and deeper, the light from below grows brighter. He passes structures seething with energy that jut from the sides of the chasm. On a hunch, he points his blaster and begins to fire. The red bolts pierce the towers. Flashes of heat and blinding light burst in their wake. As they recede into the air above him, several buckle, twist, and explode. Others he hasn't shot at begin to detonate as well. He's done it. He's started a chain reaction. . . .

The view cuts to a long shot in an enormous, domed room. The tiny figure of Han's body emerges from the emptiness above, falling slowly toward the reactor in the center. Flashes and fire begin to burst from the surrounding walls as the entire structure begins to self-destruct. Succumbing at last, Han's eyes close as he disappears into the flood of white light eminating from the gigantic core--

--and Rey flinches hard as she wakes up on the ground near the Jedi Temple. Just a dream. Or perhaps . . . a vision? Could it have been Han who caused the destruction of the Starkiller. . . ?

Just add a burning Rancor falling down with Han and fighting him, and you're good to go!

What's of most interest to me is how much time will have passed between Episodes VII & VIII. I think most people are operating under the assumption that, given how TFA ends, VIII will pick up right away. Which I suppose makes sense from a story standpoint, but would certainly be inconsistent with the lengthy gaps between Episodes in the previous trilogies.

Yes, I can see a scenario that picks up almost immediately, with Rey's training, etc. I could also see a jump of several months (if not more) where Rey is already well into her training.

I'm also more or less leaning towards Rey being Luke's kid. Oh and I think of Yoda's race, Maz Kanata is.

Rey arrives at the top of the mountain, suddenly makes a somersault high in the air (we hear the sound of a lightsaber energizing) and attacks Luke.  We are surprised how well Rey can fight against the legendary Jedi. But after a spectacular duel, force jumping from one mountain to another (rivalling even with the best Bond opening scenes), Rey lies down on the ground with the tip of Luke's lightsaber close to her throat. This is when Lukes finally starts to speak: "I see you haven't forgotten your training, my beloved daughter."

Even though the movie has just begun, the audience is gobsmacked and holds up its number: 10/10 

Alex

Rey walks to the top of the maintain. Luke doesn't say a word. He just stands there and stares. It's making Rey nervous. She starts to sweat and says: "Master Luke, with your approval, I'm here to complete my training." Luke doesn't respond and examines Rey's face as if he's looking for something. Suddenly the old and wise Jedi speaks his first words: "Please follow me."  When they finally arrive at Luke's hut, the hooded master opens the door and says: "Rey, say hello to my daughter Rey!" In the middle of the room stands a girl wearing the same clothes as Rey. The camera zooms in, it's Keira Knightley (we hear the Theme Of The Force)! Both girls give each other a menacing stare and energize their lightsaber at the same time ...

The audience finally understands why, at the end of Episode 7, Luke just stood there and stared. Some people can't contain themselves and shout "God, this is the best Star Wars movie yet". 

Alex