The Force Awakens For Your Consideration (FYC) Album

Jay

2 hours ago, karelm said:

We aren't the target audience for the OST. 99% of the listeners who put this album at number four of iTunes don't care for every  note being presented. We are the conesiours who buy up the 3000 limited edition with all music preserved.

While it's true that the complete score for TFA is appealing to me, I usually don't prefer expanded/complete versions of scores. TFA OST is a great listening experience.

On December 25, 2015 at 9:35 PM, Jay said:

Nah it's 0:00-0:45 then all of the FYC

Yeah you're right. I was listening and realized that 0:45-1:07 section comes after the X-Wing Scherzo bit on the FYC. Still, I don't think in the film it goes directly from 0:45 to the X-Wing bit. There's either an unreleased portion or tracked section in-between.

Thanks for all the comparison info!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I just added a FAQ to the main post and copied all the most important information to it including my quick no-edits playlist, my chronological OST/FYC order, custom cover art, and link to my spreadsheet.

Enjoy!

Truly excellent work Jason! :) Many thanks!

Just wondering: are we positive that OST "Snoke" is a concert arrangement? I feel like it would fit Snoke's second scene pretty well in a chronological edit, even if the music doesn't quite match. Am I remembering correctly that that scene took place between "Han and Leia" and "The Bombing Run"? I know somebody (Jay?) posted a speculative complete cue list, but I can't find it

Great work, Jason! I'm really pleased with the F.A.Q. in the main post, such an easy guide to any enthusiast regardless of their expertise in the field. Thank you so much! :lol:

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

Stefan I'm sorry but I have no idea what you're talking about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sepp_Blatter

9 minutes ago, Henry Buck said:

Just wondering: are we positive that OST "Snoke" is a concert arrangement? I feel like it would fit Snoke's second scene pretty well in a chronological edit, even if the music doesn't quite match. Am I remembering correctly that that scene took place between "Han and Leia" and "The Bombing Run"? I know somebody (Jay?) posted a speculative complete cue list, but I can't find it

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25913-the-force-awakens-complete-score-breakdown-chronological-order-film-spoilers-allowed/

Henry no, I'm not positive about "Snoke".  I am working on a revamped Complete Score Breakdown and when I get to that area of the film, I'll compare it to the OST track all over again.  I definitely remember my first pass through the film thinking the OST track matched the early Snoke scene and not the second.

As I've posted somewhere (maybe in this thread, maybe in another), its possible the OST Snoke track isn't a technical "concert arrangement" per se, but more of a "bed" of music that could be placed under any Snoke scenes (IE, perhaps the timing of the Snoke scenes weren't known during score), or perhaps its a "wild" take of a film cue that was recorded just for the album.  Or it could be an early version of a Snoke scene that got revamped later.  We don't TRULY know anything about any of the score without sheet music, its all just speculation.

14 hours ago, Henry Buck said:

I was wondering this as well, because it's not a typical full-blown "Concert arrangement". It's unremarkable, yet dark and ominous, as if it is underscore for one of Snoke's small scenes. If it is a full concert arrangement, then Snoke's theme may me the most unremarkable ever. At least for a main bad guy. Then again, Emperor's Theme didn't come out until ROTJ, and the ominous underscore during his Empire scene was abandoned in favor of it.

Also, in trying to make my version combining the best of both, is the Spreadsheet everything or are there differences not represented when you follow that? For example, do we have minor edits to get the best of both worlds or "alternates" in cases of too many edits for most of us casual layman editors to attempt?

The Emperor's scene in Empire was athematic as well, so I suspect Snoke's theme is being held off until VIII.

I'd rather each film have a small amount of quality new themes than forcing Williams to map out an entire trilogy's worth before the first film is even released. That way he has more time to write and perfect each theme and reveal it only when the character deserves it.

21 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The Emperor's scene in Empire was athematic as well, so I suspect Snoke's theme is being held off until VIII.

I'd rather each film have a small amount of quality new themes than forcing Williams to map out an entire trilogy's worth before the first film is even released. That way he has more time to write and perfect each theme and reveal it only when the character deserves it.

I agree 100%. That's why I think that the possibility of it being one of Snoke's other scenes (possibly an unused alternate?) is strong. 

Does anybody remember where his other scenes were in the chronological order? I've only seen the movie once and before I had either version of the score. I'd put it in as one of those other scenes.

22 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Yeah you're right. I was listening and realized that 0:45-1:07 section comes after the X-Wing Scherzo bit on the FYC. Still, I don't think in the film it goes directly from 0:45 to the X-Wing bit. There's either an unreleased portion or tracked section in-between.

Saw the film again and this is definitely the case. After 0:45 the film cuts from Rey vs. Ren to the X-Wings and there's a piece that I couldn't put my finger to (sounds like mostly strings, kind of like Ways of the Force at 2:19 but don't know if that's actually it) and then when Poe goes into the trench the Scherzo finally comes in.

17 hours ago, Henry Buck said:

I'm pretty sure the OST Snoke is used in his second scene. If it's the same recoding on the OST, it's truncated in the film, but I definitely noticed some of that ominous chanting and more importantly the string thing that starts at 1:23 is for certain in that scene which is telling. 

Don't remember for sure but I think the second scene with Snoke comes right after he and Rey have the mind duel (or whatever you want to call it). Which, yes, takes before The Bombing Run. I can't remember the complete order of scenes when it comes to the intercutting of Rey/Ren and the Resistance crew, but I think there's a good deal of unreleased stuff in that portion, between Finn and Poe, United and The Bombing Run. Han and Leia is a combination of a couple different cues - Han and Leia meet up on Takodona through Poe and Finn meet up, then Han and Leia talk about Ben which happens a good deal later. What's missing in-between is all the other stuff at the Resistance base (the map room, R2, forming the plan to attack Starkiller) and everything with Rey that in that portion (I don't know for sure how much of this stuff is actually backed with music though). After Han and Leia but before the Bombing Run is the Falcon landing on Starkiller and anything else that was scored up till the shields going down and the X-Wings arriving at Starkiller. 

So in 'Finn and Poe, United' is that Finn's Theme at 0:42 or just random stuff from Williams?

And does BB-8 actually have a theme. I hear innocent little moment here and there and of course, but is there a specific melodic idea for him?

And some of the rhythms of 'The Bombing Run' remind me of 'The Battle of Hoth' stuff, specifically the march at 0:00 and 1:00 in 'BOH Part 2.'

Can someone help me figure out what the hell 'On The Inside' (FYC) From 1:00 - 1:25 reminds me of? haha. It's driving me crazy. I think it's from Episode 2, but it could be 3. It sounds like it fits a scene perhaps with Yoda and Windu or on Kamino or something. I can't pin it down.

7 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Can someone help me figure out what the hell 'On The Inside' (FYC) From 1:00 - 1:25 reminds me of? haha. It's driving me crazy. I think it's from Episode 2, but it could be 3. It sounds like it fits a scene perhaps with Yoda and Windu or on Kamino or something. I can't pin it down.

Makes me think of Harry Potter scores from the same era.

10 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

So in 'Finn and Poe, United' is that Finn's Theme at 0:42 or just random stuff from Williams?

I saw the film for the first time yesterday and I am pretty sure that moment of the music (:42) corresponds to Poe and BB8 seeing each other and reuniting.

20 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Reminds me of the cue that plays when Yoda senses Anakin slaughtering the Tusken raiders in Attack of the Clones.

The Tusken Camp and The Homestead 3:02 - 3:25

1 hour ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Reminds me of the cue that plays when Yoda senses Anakin slaughtering the Tusken raiders in Attack of the Clones.

The Tusken Camp and The Homestead 3:02 - 3:25

Yes! That's it, thanks. 

It appears there is a section at the end of 'Follow Me' on the FYC that is in fact a tracked section from 1.59 - 2.09 of the same cue, It occurs right before the segue into 'The Falcon'.

On 12/27/2015 at 7:09 AM, leeallen01 said:

It reminds you of Abandoned in the Woods from A.I. (at 0:34) too.

On 12/23/2015 at 2:49 PM, Jay said:

1. OST 06 Rey's Theme (3:11)
  2. OST 16 March of the Resistance (2:35)
  3. OST 17 Snoke (2:03)
  4. OST 21 Scherzo for X-Wings (2:32)

5. FYC 01 The Attack on the Jakku Village Part 1 (5:27)
  6. FYC 02 The Attack on the Jakku Village Part 2 (1:53)
  7. OST 02 The Scavenger (3:39)
  8. FYC 05 I Can Fly Anything (4:09)
  9. FYC 06 Finn’s Trek (1:35)
  10. FYC 07 Follow Me and The Falcon (7:09)
  11. OST 08 That Girl with the Staff (1:58)
  12. OST 09 The Rathtars! (4:05)
  13. FYC 09 Snoke (2:07)
  14. FYC 10 You Got A Name? (1:32)
  15. OST 10 Finn's Confession (2:08)
  16. OST 11 Maz's Counsel (3:07)
  17. FYC 12 The Starkiller (1:52)
  18. FYC 13 Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle (2:15)
  19. FYC 14 The Resistance (1:35)
  20. OST 14 The Abduction (2:25)
  21. OST 15 Han and Leia (4:41)
  22. FYC 17 The Bombing Run (2:07)
  23. FYC 18 On The Inside (2:54)
  24. FYC 19 Torn Apart (4:24)
  25. OST 20 The Ways of the Force (3:15)
  26. FYC 21 The Journey Home (2:18)
  27. FYC 22 Farewell and The Trip (3:49)
  28. FYC 23 The Jedi Steps and Finale (9:58)

TOTAL TIME - 1:30:43

Some notes:

• I like the concert arrangements first but you could certainly put them after instead

I've been listening to this playlist nonstop this past week and I've found something that works tremendously with the concert arrangements: putting The March of the Resistance after Ray Meets BB-8 and before I Can Fly Anything. It helps the flow and it makes the March more familiar, and therefore sound more effective, when it returns in The Resistance. If you put it right when all the themes are getting introduced, it doesn't affect the flow terribly and it becomes much more integrated into the score. Just a little suggestion.

I think I've found a theme that could be for The First Order. Or perhaps just for their new Star Destroyer (like when he gave the Deathstar a Motif). 

That moment as the Star Destroyer covers the planet in shadow in the opening shot, in 'The Attack on the Jakku Village Part 1' at 0:16, is reprised again in 'Snoke' right at the beginning.

It makes sense that Williams would base the opening notes of the score off one of his key new ideas/motifs. Doesn't seem to be developed much though, perhaps a bit like Boba Fett's "theme" in ESB.

I think the two places I mentioned are specific shots of the new Star Destroyer. The first one of course is, but the second I can't remember where it happened in the film. Though it does sounds like an obvious natural transitional shot of the Destroyer. When I see the film again, I'll make note. It most likely is a Deathstar type motif for use whenever the film flips over to a scene involving Ren and the Order.

I've made a lovely expanded edit of The Force Awakens, which should be as complete as possible given the available material. I used the spreadsheet guide here to help. 

I've tried to keep the presentation as true to Williams' intentions as I could imagine. Most instances of nasty edits or looping that occur in places on both the FYC and OST editions have been fixed. This edit also features clean intros and outros, which I have mocked up where needed. 

Where alternate takes of the same material between the FYC/OST occur - I have chosen the take that I personally prefer - and based on the opinions I've gathered from a few others.

I've also slightly mastered the FYC elements to give the mix more presence, and match the OST. Obviously the 160 kbps MP3 source isn't perfect, but still sounds good - and will sound even better when/if the lossless source appears.

It makes for a decent and coherent listen. Here's the tracklist:

01 Main Title and The Attack on the Jakku Village (6:53)
02 Kill Them All (1:54)
03 The Scavenger (2:28)
04 Lunchtime (1:22)
05 Rey Meets BB-8 (1:31)
06 I Can Fly Anything (4:16)
07 Finn's Trek (1:34)
08 Follow Me and The Falcon (7:07)
09 That Girl with the Staff (1:59)
10 The Rathtars! (4:06)
11 Snoke (2:08)
12 Arrival at Takodana (0:40)
13 You Got A Name? (1:32)
14 Maz Examines Finn (1:28)
15 I'm No Hero (1:05)
16 Maz and Rey (1:48)
17 The Starkiller (1:52)
18 Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle (2:15)
19 The Resistance (1:33)
20 The Abduction (2:25)
21 Han and Leia and Finn and Poe, United (4:41)
22 The Bombing Run (2:05)
23 On The Inside (2:54)
24 Torn Apart (4:19)
25 The Ways of the Force (4:45)
26 Farewell and The Trip (4:56)
27 The Jedi Steps and Finale (8:52)
28 Rey's Theme (3:11)
29 March of the Resistance (2:36)
30 Snoke (2:03)
31 Scherzo for X-Wings (2:32)
Total duration: 1:32:49

I've updated my "editing required" chronological FYC + OST playlist in the main post which factors in another revisit of the film.

So you can check it out there, or check out my spreadsheet, which is also updated:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rDuRXT-67ETwF2cy4lNkgp5AV_QcIDivxUwCLtLOGfg/pubhtml

Williams has definetly got his game on here.

IMO 'The Bombing Run' is as wonderful and exciting as anything Williams wrote for 'The Last Battle' in A New Hope. There may even be a little nod to the launch from Yavin sequence in there.

I haven't had this much fun listening to a score in ages.

Academy rules. They must be presented with an arrangement that includes only music heard in the final cut of the film, no concert arrangements, alternates, or unused music.

I wonder why they didn't include the main titles.  Perhaps to appease the academy rules regarding sequel scores?  Either way, I feel like that'd be an important inclusion in generating hype among voters.

I knew the hour it was listed, and was going to 'technically' try and get it for all of us, but that probably won't be happening, the bid will skyrocket. Ah well, maybe I'll be lucky and have another chance down the road. Good luck to anyone bidding on it, though.