The Force Awakens For Your Consideration (FYC) Album

Jay

2 hours ago, Jay said:
14 minutes ago, Lockdown said:

The one cue that I wanted the most was the little Star Wars jingle at the very end of the Finale, and now we have it :)

That was always on the OST. It is literally the last thing you hear.

I'm gonna stick with the OST version of the Finale track. The FYC may be longer but that extra music can be found in the March concert version. The OST version is just so perfect I don't feel the need to change it.

5 minutes ago, king mark said:

but that chunk of March of Reesistance is in  the concert version right?

Yes, that's literally  what I just said.

Listening to Torn Apart I can already tells some big differences in editing.  Listened to the first couple of minutes and I can tell:

OST 0:38 - 0:58 is not on FYC

OST 1:18 - 1:26 is a repeat of the little phrase starting @ 1:15 that isn't on FYC

FYC 0:50 - 1:07 is not on OST

Still combing through it!

20 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

Listening to Torn Apart I can already tells some big differences in editing.  Listened to the first couple of minutes and I can tell:

OST 0:38 - 0:58 is not on FYC

OST 1:18 - 1:26 is a repeat of the little phrase starting @ 1:15 that isn't on FYC

FYC 0:50 - 1:07 is not on OST

Still combing through it!

OST 1:26 - 1:32, little statement not on FYC

FYC 2:27 - 2:33 not on OST

OST 2:58 - 3:06 not on FYC

OST 3:14 - 3:26 not on FYC

FYC 2:50 - 2:58 not on OST

FYC 3:23 - 3:48 not on OST

4:01 on both tracks are different takes or different mixes.

Apparently Disney has put up the "full"(?) score to the movie here.

The format isn't ideal - you have to manually click thru each track from the beginning to get to where you want from what I can tell - but it's a start. I haven't listened to the entire thing, but there is definitely material here that is not on the OST and vice versa (the Main Title and concert suites are missing, for example). I've only seen the film once, so I have no idea if everything heard in the film is here.

Ohh! The FYC version of The Abduction ends differently at 1:10, with more powerful low brass on the final statements of Rey's Theme! Yes! :D Always thought the album track was lacking some impact compared to what I heard in the film.

Not sure if it's an actual alternate take or just a different mix. But damn, I love it.

8 hours ago, aviazn said:

Ohh! The FYC version of The Abduction ends differently at 1:10, with more powerful low brass on the final statements of Rey's Theme! Yes! :D Always thought the album track was lacking some impact compared to what I heard in the film.

Not sure if it's an actual alternate take or just a different mix. But damn, I love it.

cool, I'll use this version in my edit

11 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Wonder if anyone's opinion about Follow Me/The Falcon has changed now that they can hear it as one cue.

Funny, I saw this post last night right around when I was thinking of coming in and posting something similar.

Basically: I LOVE having these two cues combined here!  There's a drive and momentum that carries through when listened together (which is what Williams intended anyway).  Especially "The Falcon" part, by the time you get to the big action part of that you're just so invested in what's going on!

All this momentum is lost on the OST where Williams breaks it up with a slow, unrelated concert arrangement in between.  I dunno what he was thinking there.

The additional tracks are such a welcome addition and really help to glue together the overall musical vision of the story.

The Bombing Run is awesome and very reminiscent of the OT and Yavin at times, good stuff indeed :)

We also got really lucky with the OST - one of the best representations of a JW score. We could have had another KOTCS situation.

...and of course the timing of the movie's release relative to awards season meant the FYC was always going to be a short wait, but within a week of the OST and with so many coveted cues was fantastic. If only it had the Falcon crash landing, there would be literally nothing else I would need from the music as heard in the movie.

Unfortuately, this fortuitous timing won't be repeated again. The BFG, Episode 8 and Episode 9 will be released mid-year.

What do you guys think of the SOUND QUALITY difference between the two releases?

I listened to hte whole FYC while driving in the car last night, and I thought it had less "punch" than the OST master.  Of course, that could simply be due to the 160kbps quality.

I'd guess the FYC represents the raw sessions in their film mix (/edit), while the OST could have additional mastering (reverb, etc) done to it....

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

What do you guys think of the SOUND QUALITY difference between the two releases?

I think the FYC sounds surprisingly good given that it's 160kbps.

I've said before that I think the OST sounds amazing but there's little details that I'm picking up on the FYC that I've not picked up on in the official release. I suppose the additional mastering might have smothered some of these out. Love to hear it in better quality.

Pressed CDs would have to have been mailed to academy members for that to happen.  And we have no clue in the world if that's happened or not yet.  Or if it even will!

Yep, the OST is mastered while the FYC audio is straight from the session mix and un-tinkered-with.

Unfortunately being only 160kbps we lose so much quality sticking to primarily FYC material.

We need a lossless CD rip!

Oh you know the FYC will still have bits and bobs that wouldn't be on an official expansion.  Clean openings and endings for cues that are combined into one track there, for example.

I wonder why Disney didn't have a game developed for the film?  It's odd that Battlefront is the only new SW game out now.