The Force Awakens For Your Consideration (FYC) Album

Jay

I too vaguely recall the TPM one showing up in a game with a clean ending at some point.

Anyway, you should be able to edit the OST Main Title into the FYC Jakku track; You don't even have do it right after the main title ends, you just need to do it before the first album microedit

Ah.

I've actually been really enjoying listening to the score without the main title at all, honestly.  I think its pretty cool we got a clean opening for the first cue in the film via the FYC.  That's pretty rare for a SW score!

11 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

We got very lucky with that FYC. We already have more than half of the score!

Yup.  And once we get it in lossless it will be even better.

And if we get a 2CD expanded score next year, holy cow!

I'm with Jay for the Main Title as well. I like a track break at the end of it too....  mean I've listened to it so many times since 1978 or '79 or so that I usually skip it when listening to any SW score. However, I noted this one truly sounds different both as the film started and the OST. Between the smaller orchestra and/or the mix or something. The whole score, I noted, had a different sound between this and the LSO SW recordings.

The thing that strikes me most and why I haven't begun a personal edit yet is the sound quality difference. It's quite noticeable between the two sources. I want to sit down and micro-edit, but what if a higher quality source hits?

(What a dilemma to happen less than a week after the movie and album drops, huh? )

So thank you for the "easy mode" play list. However, do we yet have a definitive micro-edit playlist yet? I figure if I'm going to take the time to edit, I want to do it definitively.

Having listened to the FYC, there was really no excuse for splitting Follow Me and The Falcon on the OST.

The biggest benefit for me with the combined track is that the rebel fanfare at 2:55 no longer feels out of place and tacked on because the music continues its momentum with another quote of the fanfare at 3:19 and again at 4:11. It feels part of a single cohesive piece of music.

On the OST, that fanfare in Follow Me is at the end of the track, the cue quietens and ends, we then get Rey's concert theme, before finally returning to The Falcon to hear the payoff of the fanfare again.

Splitting them was a very bizarre choice.

9 minutes ago, dfenton85 said:

The biggest benefit for me with the combined track is that the rebel fanfare at 2:55 no longer feels out of place and tacked on because the music continues its momentum with another quote of the fanfare at 3:19 and again at 4:11. It feels part of a single cohesive piece of music.

YES!

On the OST, that fanfare in Follow Me is at the end of the track, the cue quietens and ends, we then get Rey's concert theme, before finally returning to The Falcon to hear the payoff of the fanfare again.

Splitting them was a very bizarre choice.

Yup, agreed.

It would have been a great opportunity to have a long action track on an JW OST again, like The Chase Through Coruscant, Star Wars and The Revenge of the Sith, T Rex Rescue and Finale, Escape from the Basket, etc.  Maybe JW doesn't like doing long action tracks anymore; He did cut down The Jungle Chase, for example.

Why You Can’t Hum Any of the Tunes From John Williams' 'Star Wars' Soundtrack for ‘The Force Awakens’

I'll just drop this here. 

https://www.inverse.com/article/9553-why-you-can-t-hum-any-of-the-tunes-from-john-williams-star-wars-soundtrack-for-the-force-awakens

So happy to have this FYC music for now! 

And thanks, Jay for the "no-editing-required" playlist. Listening to it now!

I'm not sure how to edit the FYC / OST version of The Ways of the Force to result in the complete cue, can someone break it down for me so I could understand it easier?

Jay, in your chronological edit, where would R2 shows the map go? Why was it omitted from your list? Just curious.

Finn's Trek is another fantastic track and I get a really strong SW and Empire vibe from this one.

I haven't seen the film yet so I don't know what's happening on screen (although perhaps the name is a clue! ha) but the opening 4 note motif is so similar and sounds so similar to Solo and the Princess (Ab, G, F) .....Finn's Trek (Ab, G, E, F), the only difference being the added half step to get to the 'F'.

Whether or not this has any direct relation to what is happening onscreen, I'll have to wait and see.

Or maybe Williams is just setting up the theme and planting the first seeds.

No prob man, they just jumped out at me as being the same notes ...albeit a little stretched out and the 'extra' note.

It probably helps that the intro to Solo and the Princess is one of my favourite musical moments in the history of everything, ha :D

Steb there's be no reason for Finn's Trek to relate to the Han and Leia theme. In the movie it's Finn walking through Jakku desert after a crash landing then finding a civilization.

The lower bit rate aside, I personally like the sound of the FYC tracks. Seems crisper and clearer than the OST, even if it's less polished and smooth. Overall, I'm enjoying listening to FYC start-to-finish more than the OST. To each his/her own?

Well I suppose it depends on whether you're used to hearing an orchestra mixed and mastered on an album, or live, which is an interesting aspect of orchestral film music.  Should we value the magic of live sound less because the "final form" of the music is inevitably recorded, and so accept any alterations made?

I am going to point out that around the point that Follow Me and The Falcon combine, there is wierd crossfade/layering going on

I am going to point out that around the point that Follow Me and The Falcon combine, there is wierd crossfade/layering going on

9 hours ago, Jay said:

OK, I've put a simple comparison up in Spreadsheet form....

Album Track 10 ("Finn's Confession") is a little more complicated than it appears in the current incarnation of your spreadsheet. From 1:17-end actually corresponds to the FYC Track 10 ("You Got A Name?") from 0:45-end.

On December 22, 2015 at 1:17 PM, king mark said:

The Abduction is definitely better on the FYC

Really? But it misses out on the awesome version of Kylo's secondary theme that you hear in the first half of the OST Abduction. What's the OST missing? I did a quick listen and it sounds to me like the FYC is just the second half of the OST.

23 hours ago, Lockdown said:

I'm not sure how to edit the FYC / OST version of The Ways of the Force to result in the complete cue, can someone break it down for me so I could understand it easier?

Pretty sure it's OST 0:00-1:07, then all of the FYC. That's how I edited it anyway (with the first note of FYC starting at the same time as the the last note of the OST - sounds pretty good).

I also tried to edit in Burning Homestead to get a track that resembled the film version but there is no good way to put that in (the movie hid the shite edits with sound effects).

Is it just me or is the Snoke track on the FYC album mixed oddly? I can't really make out the chorus articulation on the FYC album but on the CD release the vocals are very strong and distinct you can actually hear them pronouncing the sanskrit words. 

21 minutes ago, DominicCobb said:

Really? But it misses out on the awesome version of Kylo's secondary theme that you hear in the first half of the OST Abduction. What's the OST missing? I did a quick listen and it sounds to me like the FYC is just the second half of the OST.

The ending of Rey's theme is much stronger in the FYC. It is a different take.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but at 3:55 ish, in the FYC track Follow Me and The Falcon, there's a small segment that's unreleased.

47 minutes ago, dfenton85 said:

The ending of Rey's theme is much stronger in the FYC. It is a different take.

Is the concert version of Rey's theme on the FYC?

Wow... see all this stuff must be straightened out before I try an edit. LOL, I'd get so frustrated to make an edit and then miss stuff or just finish and BOOM a higher bitrate promo surfaces. Keep up the collective great work, guys! :)

And about the sound quality... to me the low bitrate mp3s muffle the fidelity to the point of sounding like I put cotton in my ears, which is why I'm not crazy about them and holding out for higher bitrate versions. They sound good for the bitrate, but still we lose a lot of information. Meanwhile, I felt like the CD was mixed a little flatter than some (and it also sounded flat in the movie theatre), but at least it's clear.

Many CDs are mixed to basically peg out as much as possible without clipping (like KM mentioned above), but at least it sounds very nice on my home theatre. Seems like not as dynamic though.

All I've done with this is include the 'Attack Part 2' cue, and switched I Can Fly Anything with the FYC to get the extra music in the opening.

The rest of the additional material doesn't really do much for me.

I will say though, that the best rendition/variation of Rey's theme has to be near the end of Maz's Counsel. I'm not sure why people are going crazy over the one at the end of Bombing Run.

Around this time tomorrow I'll finally have the CD in my hands :) I had hoped to hold off listening until now, but I think we all know how likely that was to succeed...

6 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Like someone said , the ending with the trombones is better on the FYC

And I edited in the missing beginning of the track from  the OST

7 hours ago, John Takis said:

Album Track 10 ("Finn's Confession") is a little more complicated than it appears in the current incarnation of your spreadsheet. From 1:17-end actually corresponds to the FYC Track 10 ("You Got A Name?") from 0:45-end.

Ooh thanks, I'll check that out!

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

All I've done with this is include the 'Attack Part 2' cue, and switched I Can Fly Anything with the FYC to get the extra music in the opening.

But The Attack on the Jakku Village part 2 is on the OST... Well most of it is in track 1. So if you just include it after the OST track, you'll be repeating all that music again...

I've updated my spreadsheet to include the correct information about OST track 10

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rDuRXT-67ETwF2cy4lNkgp5AV_QcIDivxUwCLtLOGfg/pubhtml

Why WIlliams edited out the best part of "You Got A Name?" for the OST version is beyond me... thank god for the FYC!

Also, this means you have two choices to make in a "no editing required" playlist

If you prefer the music for Han and Rey's talk and can live without the music for the Falcon arriving on Maz's planet, you can do this:

14. FYC 10 You Got A Name? (1:32)
15. FYC 11 I'm No Hero
16. OST 11 Maz's Counsel (3:07)

(This is my preference and is now reflected in post #2)

But if you prefer the music for the Falcon arriving and can live without the Han/Rey talk, do this:

14. OST 10 Finn's Confession (2:08)
15. OST 11 Maz's Counsel (3:07)

If you stick to my originally posted combo playlist, you'll have repeated music (because FYC 11 0:45-end = OST 10 1:17-end)

22 hours ago, Faleel said:

So you think we should crossfade the two OST tracks together and add back in some unreleased passages from the FYC rather than use the whole FYC track?

20 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Pretty sure it's OST 0:00-1:07, then all of the FYC. That's how I edited it anyway (with the first note of FYC starting at the same time as the the last note of the OST - sounds pretty good).

Nah it's 0:00-0:45 then all of the FYC

I'm sorry but I've been going through these tracks more closely now and often the unreleased music sounds exactly the same as the OST. It doesn't really seem like there's much actual new music? Maybe I'm confused.

True. I hear the differences but since we only had the OST for a couple days before we got this, I hadn't memorized it yet and the new music is harder to pick out to me than a score I have memorized more. So I appreciate that some of these guys got it down to the note.

I tried putting the 1st track in a WAV editor and got exhausted by the daunting task. Talk about micro-edits. Wow.

Is anybody here planning on doing a full micro-edit? Or is everyone doing partial selection ones?

Okay, I have some questions about these,  first, what is a microedit and how do you know if or when a track has been microedited? I am not a music guy,  can't read it nor play an instrument (not for lack of trying mind you).  So yhis is a bit foreign to me. 

Next,  will anyone be willing to share a complete edited together OST/FYC soundtrack once one is put together? 

It's when Williams cuts out little 4 or 5 seconds of music in random places to create a better listening experience on album. For example, in the film there might be sections of sustained strings for 10 seconds over dialogue, but this doesn't translate to album well so he just cuts sections like this in half or removes them entirely.

Unfortunately there are some egregious and infuriating examples of microedits in his OSTs that actually remove incredible cue highlights for no explicable reason (Desert Chase from Raiders, Anakin's Dark Deeds from ROTS, Rescuing Sarah from The Lost World.)

I believe in the world of writing, it can be called truncated? Sometimes many may go unnoticed until you get the whole piece and note the missing parts. Often unimportant, sometimes you can't believe it was taken out.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

The deleted section of Rescuing Sarah is probably one of the most infamous microedits and the most coveted unreleased moment in that score.

This.

That bit alone would make a complete release of The Lost World an instant purchase. 

9 hours ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

Williams is particularly ruthless with his music when presenting on album.

We aren't the target audience for the OST. 99% of the listeners who put this album at number four of iTunes don't care for every  note being presented. We are the conesiours who buy up the 3000 limited edition with all music preserved.

5 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

This.

That bit alone would make a complete release of The Lost World an instant purchase. 

Is there a place to hear this? Not familiar with Lost World at all...

9 hours ago, armorb said:

Is there a place to hear this? Not familiar with Lost World at all...

Only in the movie. It's a break in the heavy percussion from the rest of the track, featuring a quick string section for the arrival of the two T-Rexes. 

It's right at the start of this clip: