So...anybody else miss the politics of the prequels? (*TFA spoilers*)

indy4

While numerous aspects of the prequel trilogy were poorly executed, I've always thought the ideas behind the films were interesting, and in particular the political struggles.  Both the political commentary (IE Chancellor Palpatine being granted emergency powers in the face of war), but also the glimpse into the bureacracy of the Galactic Senate (IE Chancellor Valorum's inability to cut through the bureacracy and resolve the Trade Federations' conflict with Naboo). 

I recognize that these political debates are not really very OT-ish, but I still find them interesting (perhaps because I'm a political junkie).  Anybody else with me?  

I'd have preferred a clearer political framework. I was confused the first time I watched the movie, but the second time I realized there is enough information (main title crawl, some dialogue and General Hux's Hitlerian speech) to know basically what is going on.

The destruction of Hosnian Prime and the other planets of that system is the part that needed a little bit of elaboration, in my opinion. Looking so much like Coruscant, I really thought they could have managed to name at least once what planet it really was. And the movie was done with it pretty quickly, and doesn't give us the chance to realise that the legitimate government that supports the Resistance, with the senate and central planets of the Republic, is completely wiped away, and the general inestability that would bring..

I had no objection, in concept, to the politics in the prequels and learning more about the Republic, Senate, their relationship with the Jedi Council etc.  In some ways the story (at least the one Lucas wanted to tell) demanded it. My issue is with the ham fisted, clunky and vapid way it was all handled. 

One thing i noted while cringing about the 'personal' way the opening crawl is written (i think it was the words 'finding Luke' instead of 'finding the lost Jedi master/lost Jedi', 'Finding Skywalker' which stood out the most, I noticed that the prequels AND the original film crawls were more politics-war driven, that describe what is happening in the galaxy. (and for that much more insightful). ESB, ROTJ and TFA became more personal and less galactic wide in their contents.

I haven't seen the new Star Wars movie, so I can't compare.

Does it happen to have twirking in it, for wider appeal?

I did hear that it has an almost invincible woman in it, easily taking out highly trained men, for wider appeal.

I didn't mind the politics of the prequels, though I agree with NIck66 that the 'way' in which it was handled was a bit mismanaged.

For example, pushing what looks like a U.N Resolution onto the audience during the opening roll was a bit silly.

The worst part of the prequel politics was the barely-veiled criticism of a certain president in Revenge of the Sith. Not saying I agree or disagree with what was implied - I know, I'm not allowed - just saying that the execution came across as incredibly conceited and broke the fourth wall for me. Lucas isn't as smart as he thinks he is.

19 minutes ago, Michael said:

The problem with the prequels politics is that Lucas vision of it, esentially, is the one of a really wealthy man.

Hmmm interesting.  Care to elaborate?

14 hours ago, indy4 said:

While numerous aspects of the prequel trilogy were poorly executed, I've always thought the ideas behind the films were interesting, and in particular the political struggles.  Both the political commentary (IE Chancellor Palpatine being granted emergency powers in the face of war), but also the glimpse into the bureacracy of the Galactic Senate (IE Chancellor Valorum's inability to cut through the bureacracy and resolve the Trade Federations' conflict with Naboo). 

I recognize that these political debates are not really very OT-ish, but I still find them interesting (perhaps because I'm a political junkie).  Anybody else with me?  

Nope, who cares. 

7 hours ago, indy4 said:

Hmmm interesting.  Care to elaborate?

I mean that Lucas' been out of the real world for so long, that he completely forgot how politics work. He views politics as rich guys do, in terms of people talking endlessly, not so much in terms of people taking action and starting up a revolution or something of the sort. That might have been more interesting for what's still an escapist movie. I don't know what was Lucas thinking, honestly.

That's what I'm saying, it doesn't make for an interesting movie.

And sure, that's how politics *should* work -and it's probably how they work in first world countries, but here and in a lot of third-world countries it's much more violent than sitting down and talking things out.

That may be a half-sentence in the opening crawl but the last thing TFA does or wants is to engage political discussion. It does not present anything except opposing forces that are made clearly distinguishable by look and design. No ambivalence at all.

I will reveal here exclusively that i didn't give a shit and 3D hugely annoys me and the mates. In fact, for germans there always will be only Harrison Ford's dubbing voice.

(

I was actually glad the film left the political situation alone beyond naming the opposing camps and their affiliations in regards of the Republic.

TFA needed to make clear that the Republic started to fracture during debates about quantitative easing. And that proposed defense cut-backs led the First Order to separate themselves from Republic control.

I love the scene where Palpatine becomes the Emperor. It was certainly helped not only by Williams' score, but also McDiarmid's awesomely over the top acting, a breath of fresh air after two movies of boring monotone performances. See, there, the politics weren't really complicated. It was a supervillain running amok with power and just having a fucking field day.