How Mutt's Theme should have sounded like?

Muad'Dib

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days, but it also dawned on me how The Adventures of Mutt isn't really Mutt's theme per se. At least from what I can remember, it's only heard (in the film) during the swordfight and in the ending credits, so I believe it's something Williams only wrote for the swordfight scene and then he or Spielberg thought it could be his theme, as well as that late adittion of the father/son variation of the Raiders march.

But still, I think most of us agree it really doesn't fit the character and maybe even the film. It's an excellent piece, with lots of virtuoso and exciting writing -hell, I was listening to it yesterday and I got all excited- but not really fit for an Indiana Jones movie. 

So I was thinking what piece from Williams repertoire could have sounded similar to a proper theme for Mutt? In my mind, if Williams had ever written an individual theme for Han -something western inspired perhaps- it would have sounded something similar to that I like to think. But I don't know what that would be from the existing Williams pieces.

Any suggestions?

Yes, we've known that for years now; It's not a character theme, its a concert piece based heavily on a film cue, like "The Forest Battle" from Return of the Jedi.

In fact Williams' original name for the piece on the sheet music is "The Swashbuckler", and it was only titled "The Adventures of Mutt" on the album.

The fact that there's something called "The Adventures of Mutt" always reminds me of just how wrong that whole enterprise was.

I have a separate, small shelf where I put the Prequel Trilogy, Alien 3 & 4, Matrix 2 & 3 and Crystal Skull Blu-Rays, segregated safely from their counterparts. 

Right now I'm going back and forth on whether to move The Hobbit films there.

Ultimately, the Hobbit movies ended up being more bad than good.  But they had potential to be worthy followups, PJ just lost his mind and changed too much once principal photography was over

It's more of a rhytmic motif than a theme, IMO. Ideally, it should have been a bit more outrovert, with a more defined melody line. Something a la the "Lost Boys" theme from HOOK or something.

The Adventures of Mutt is clearly inferior to Rey's Theme. I haven't had the interest to revisit the former in years, yet I could recite it in my head.

I actually find the cue mindnumbingly irritating and grotesquely out of place in an Indiana Jones film, just like the myriad of out-of-place rubbish in the film itself.