The Official Oscar Winning Director Christopher Nolan Church Thread

crocodile

Welcome brothers Nolanites!

Our lord and celluloid saviour is making his tenth feature film. It's called Dunkirk and will be shot in both IMAX 65 mm and 65 mm. It might star Tom Hardy and Kenneth Branagh.

Rejoice! :)

Karol

I'm excited to see him tackling a new genre. Hope he can do it justice.

And one of Hans' greatest scores is Thin Red Line... so, yeah, this could be good.

Karol

Sounds more interesting to me than him doing another fantasy / sci-fi movie.  Hope its good!

There's no way anyone but Zimmer scores this, right?

I'm interested to see if it'll be a straight war epic or something more intimate set against that backdrop.

Zimmer is almost certain, unless he wants to rekindle things with Julyan?

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

Well, they say it's an "action thriller" so...

Karol

Aye.  Well regardless it's exciting to have more genre diversity in his filmography, as you and Jay said.  Would be quite disappointing if we didn't get to watch him go into new territory.

2 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I'm interested to see if it'll be a straight war epic or something more intimate set against that backdrop.

Zimmer is almost certain, unless he wants to rekindle things with Julyan?

Perhaps Nolan, upon listening to The Force Awakens had a change a heart and decided to make Williams his new musical collaborator.  

That would yield a likely uninteresting and rehashed Williams score that we simply don't need, at the expense of something new from any other composer.  To be fair, I wonder if Zimmer will similarly tread too closely to The Thin Red Line territory if the film is anywhere in that ballpark.  If it is, maybe Julyan or a new composer would be prudent.

Interesting! Colour me intrigued. Seriously glad that he's exploring a different genre.

As for Zimmer, it could be interesting, but I fear it will veer to close to his TRL-adagio style war scores of the late 90s, early 2000s.

2 hours ago, KK. said:

Interesting! Colour me intrigued. Seriously glad that he's exploring a different genre.

As for Zimmer, it could be interesting, but I fear it will veer to close to his TRL-adagio style war scores of the late 90s, early 2000s.

Better that than Man of Steel or The Dark Knight Rises.

• 2 weeks later...

Good chance for the latter, like the last time around.  

At this point if there's anyone he's going to put in the time and effort to do a serious job on his own for, it's Nolan.

• 1 month later...

Finally a Nolan movie I really fancy. 

On 28/12/2015 at 8:29 PM, crocodile said:

Welcome brothers Nolanites!

Our lord and celluloid saviour is making his tenth feature film. It's called Dunkirk and will be shot in both IMAX 65 mm and 65 mm. It might star Tom Hardy and Kenneth Branagh.

Rejoice! :)

Karol

Finally another Nolan movie I really fancy. Dunkirk is a fantastic story, and I've often wished somebody would make it again. I'll see this. 

• 1 month later...

In Nolan We Trust.

Just a few other updates for those who care; Aneurin Barnard, Fionn Whitehead, and Jack Lowden are in talks, not confirmed yet - the latter two seem to be complete unknowns.  That was Nolan's stated intention, unknown teen "leads," in quotes since apparently it's more of an ensemble picture.  Hardy, Rylance, and Branagh are of course on board too. 

And here's an interesting tidbit.

So there we were in The Butchers Arms in Sonning Common, a fantastic pub that describes itself as ‘a local boozer that welcomes dogs and has bring-your-own-vinyl evenings just outside Henley, they’ve got a river don’t you know?, with Jane’s dad Edward and another fine Dunkirk veteran called George, whose wit is as clever and as quick as a wily poacher, to meet with a film researcher to talk about their experiences during the evacuation from the beaches of Dunkirk ahead of a forthcoming film. Introductions made we then spent an hour or so listening to someone called Chris and his researcher chatting to Edward and George on camera. After Dunkirk Edward ended up in North Africa whilst George returned to the European theatre where he was later captured having taken a short cut back to his division. It was actually most enlightening especially the way both of them avoided the finer details of the scenes on the beach and their actual escape. Dunkirk lasted from 27th May until 4th June with around 340,000 British and French troops being rescued. Chris’s researcher explained that although it was to be a screenplay they wanted to try and ensure that the portrayal of the Dunkirk Evacuation was as honestly and realistically portrayed as possible. To this end they were interviewing the few remaining veterans to get their stories and have enlisted the help the Association of Dunkirk Little Ships aided by their Commodore, Ian Gilbert. Each year they organise the Annual Veterans Cruise on the second Sunday in September between Hampton Court and Weybridge to which we get the honour of taking Edward. Afterwards we had a very interesting chat about Churchill’s ‘Fight them on the beaches’ speech given on the 4th May to the British people which they had listened to time and again and remains one of the cleverest and carefully composed speech ever given by a politician. Pleasantries exchanged we headed back, I dropped Edward off and headed to the Swan for a swifty. Our Pete called in and asked how the meeting had gone and what was it about. I explained that we had met someone called Chris Nolan whereupon he went completely blabber. “Dad, he is the director of loads of great stuff, like he is only the director of Batman Begins and Dark Knight!” Pete the Plank obliged by looking him up on his wipwap phone only to discover, to Pete’s now complete frustration that I had clearly not a clue, that the proposed film of Dunkirk was not only to be produced by Mr Nolan but would be directed by him and was going to star Tom Hardy, Mark Rylance and Kenneth Branagh. “Is Tom Hardy actually going to play Granddad?” spluttered Pete. I told him yes and made him buy me an ESB. Well the film is due for release on 21st July 2017 with filming set to start in May and Chris Nolan, even now I know who he is, was a pleasure to meet.

4-edward-butchers.jpg

http://www.easyballoons.co.uk/2016/03/06/news-06-03-16/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

SPR was a great War picture but it was an average film overall. It features a mediocre William's score and a syrupy ending

Dunkirk was a major defeat but a true story, how fictionalized it becomes remains to be seen. SPR was a piece of fiction, a reworking of other event for the contrivance of this story. 

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Strangely enough SPR is kinda rewatchable.

I was looking through my pile of movies I want to slim down for my inevitable move, and that was the easiest to decide to part with.