The Official Oscar Winning Director Christopher Nolan Church Thread

crocodile

11 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The most interesting thing about Nolan and his movies is their continued success and popularity.

Lol this is sort of true. The fervor is weirdly fascinating.

I'm not really a devotee but I always gotta give it up for directors with a global fanbase that will follow them anywhere. It doesn't happen that often, he's doing something right.

8 of his films are listed on IMDb's top 250, with The Dark Knight at #4.

Having just one film in the IMDb top 250 is pretty special but to have 8 listed is remarkable. He may very well be the most popular director alive.

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Lol this is sort of true. The fervor is weirdly fascinating.

I'm not really a devotee but I always gotta give it up for directors with a global fanbase that will follow them anywhere. It doesn't happen that often, he's doing something right.

That's not what I meant lol. I wouldn't say popularity and success are signs or merit. They are just interesting on their own.

12 hours ago, John said:

8 of his films are listed on IMDb's "Top 250", with The Dark Knight at #4, just behind The Shawshank Redemption, The Godfather, and The Godfather Part II.

Having just one film in the IMDb top 250 is pretty special but to have 8 listed is remarkable. He may very well be the most popular director alive.

The Dark Knight Rises has no business being on that list (along with a few other films) but I can’t argue with the inclusion of his films of seen. I’d definitely put Dunkirk ahead of TDKR.

I don’t but I am trying to make my way through the list and see films I haven’t already seen. It’s a good exercise as I have an awful habit of rewatching films I’ve seen a thousand times rather than watching old films that I haven’t seen yet.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The church is crowded these days. Reverend crocs and Monsignor TGP will be delighted!

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

People are lost! The DC Cinematic Universe is failing. They look for guidance.

tumblr_p34m2rtlGp1rlheeoo2_r1_540.gif

Karol

18 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

People are lost! The DC Cinematic Universe is failing. They look for guidance.

But ... Civil War is breaking all records. It looks like the people are contented ... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, crocodile said:

If by "restoration" you mean "digital restoration" then no. I'm looking forward to seeing it later this year.

Karol

It is not a restoration, that is actually the whole point of it. It's a print copied of the original camera negative that has been left otherwise untouched.

I don't what what the point is of that, but I do know that that's the point.

I get what you mean. But then, I don't really know what the film is supposed ti look like. I've only seen it on DVD and Blu-ray which, I believe, were on the 1990's restoration. Who knows how accurate that one was. It's all black nagic anyway, if you ask ne. In either case, I'll see Nolan's version in September and for that opportunity I'm very thankful.

Karol

Kubrick oversaw the '90s restoration, and this new edition doesn't take into account and correct any possible degradation or decolouring as far as I understand.

So you have two versions. One developed traditionally and one remastered digitally. I really don't see the problem.

Karol

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Kubrick oversaw the '90s restoration, and this new edition doesn't take into account and correct any possible degradation or decolouring as far as I understand.

Exactly!

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

It wasn't restored back then either. Merely digitally remastered.

Under Kubrick's supervision!

25 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

That doesn't really mean much. If Kubrick had his way, he would have changed the stargate sequence as he felt it felt dated by the late 1990's. But he died and it never happened. It's probably best to keep director's as far as possible from improving their work!

Karol

And all the Kubrick masterpieces will be now urine-yellow as originally intended. ;)

I'm about to start this book today, by the way:

IMG_20180610_153421113.jpg

Karol

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Exactly!

Was it really? It could have been an old-time collaborator ... what's his name ...

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

So is Kubrick now part of the Nolan gospel?! 

+

47 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I'm about to start this book today, by the way:

IMG_20180610_153421113.jpg

I guess this answers my question.

59 minutes ago, crocodile said:

That doesn't really mean much. If Kubrick had his way, he would have changed the stargate sequence as he felt it felt dated by the late 1990's. But he died and it never happened. It's probably best to keep director's as far as possible from improving their work!

Karol

The technology wasn't yet advanced enough to create what he imagined. 

23 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Was it really? It could have been an old-time collaborator ... what's his name ...

+

I guess this answers my question.

Try FILMING THE FUTURE, by Piers Bizony.

23 hours ago, Stefancos said:

"My God—it's full of stars!"

It's odd that Bowman never said that, in 2001.

7 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

There needed to be a 1997 special edition with newly enhanced visual effects, THX and digital sound. And a few new surprises.

If you've only seen it on a 4:3 Sony Trinitron, you haven't seen it at all.

See it again. For the first time.

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

That was more a sequel to Clarke's 2001 rather than Kubrick's.

It is the sequel to Kubrick's 2001: ASO based on Clarke's 2010: Odyssey Two

Yes. For the second Clarke took some aspects from Kubrick's film rather than his own novel. (For example Saturn being charged to Jupiter). 

The film 2010 feels like it draws from both. Visually from Kubrick, but the characters from Clarke. (Scheider's Heywood Floyd being a totally different character than then the bureaucrat in the 60's film).

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The film 2010 feels like it draws from both. Visually from Kubrick, but the characters from Clarke. 

It looked more like Scott's Alien (1979) than anything else. 

968full-2010_-the-year-we-make-contact-s

Peter Hyams was very much influenced by Alien, not only 2010 makes that clear but also Outland. In fact, he thinks Alien is the best science fiction movie ever made.