The Official Thread for the Church of Oscar-winning Director and (soon to be) Sir Christopher Nolan

crocodile

59 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Its certainly not documentary-like in how the shots are composed.

And yet the whole approach is far more like a documentary than Braveheart, Titanic or Gladiator. That was also the point. 

56 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

It IS historical. I say it is. But it is historical fiction. Using history as a backdrop.

Watch the movie again. The backdrop (Operation Dynamo) IS the movie. 

14 minutes ago, KK said:

Indeed. Dunkirk screams thriller far more than it does documentary. 

Not to my eyes. I hardly see Dunkirk as a thriller. Then again, I also realize that docus can be fantastic thrillers. I thought the docu that I saw about Apollo 13 was way more tense than the movie with Tom Hanks. 

22 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Watch the movie again. The backdrop (Operation Dynamo) IS the movie. 

I would not even subject my enemies to that again.

But jokes aside, you are talking in circles now. I don't know what point you are trying to make anymore. As if being a 'historical' movie is a badge of merit as opposed to 'historical fiction' or something. I think this is past the point of usefulness.

38 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

As if being a 'historical' movie is a badge of merit as opposed to 'historical fiction' or something. I think this is past the point of usefulness.

Where do you get that from? 

38 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I would not even subject my enemies to that again.

Too bad, maybe you would have seen that the historical event isn't merely used as a backdrop in Dunkirk, like with Titanic (to which you compared it to). But, yeah, you seem to hate the film and so you don't like it when it's called a historical movie. You prefer to call it fiction. So who is putting one thing above the other here? To me, they are all historical movies (see post above).

16 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Where do you get that from? 

Too bad, maybe you would have seen that, unlike with Titanic, the historical event isn't merely the backdrop in Dunkirk. But, yeah, you seem to hate the film and so you don't like it when it's called a historical movie. You prefer to call it fiction. So who is putting one thing above the other here? To me, they are all historical movies (see post above).

Jeez same thing where are you getting this from?

I would call movies I love fiction and movies I hate historical, if they were that. To me they are adjectives not judgements.

What is this discussion even about anymore?

Well, someone can always show me a list of movies that are true historical and not fiction. In other words, a list that excludes Dunkirk because that was all made up stuff. 

:biglaugh:

1 hour ago, toothless said:

Dunkirk is - with Gravity and The Revenant - what I call experiences. Great movies the first time you watch them as long as it’s in a good theater. But the way they are built upon spectacle and twist make them pretty unwatchable later. At least that’s what I think. But they are good movies !

If movies become unwatchable after you've seen them once, they can't be good movies, in my book. But I think you're right that Dunkirk is meant to be experienced as if the viewer is given an opportunity to go along on the mission, hence the docu approach. Together with the people in the movie, we never see the whole picture. We see their 'limited' view. I partly went along with it, but at the same time, there was a distance between me and what was happening on the screen. I always felt safe, relaxed, and yet I was kind of fascinated by the approach.

1 hour ago, toothless said:

Dunkirk is - with Gravity and The Revenant - what I call experiences. Great movies the first time you watch them as long as it’s in a good theater. But the way they are built upon spectacle and twist make them pretty unwatchable later. At least that’s what I think. But they are good movies !

I tend to enjoy most Nolan films more with repeat viewings. Especially Dunkirk. I didn't love it the first time but it gets better every time (despite some flaws).

Karol

9 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I tend to enjoy most Nolan films more with repeat viewings. Especially Dunkirk. I didn't love it the first time but it gets better every time (despite some flaws).

Karol

I only have seen it once. So why does it get better each time you watch it?

22 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

So why does it get better each time you watch it?

maxresdefault.jpg

You don't know? YOU DON'T KNOW?!

11 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

maxresdefault.jpg

You don't know? YOU DON'T KNOW?!

It just does. Happens with every single one of his films. Not sure why.

Karol

43 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It just does. Happens with every single one of his films. Not sure why.

Karol

giphy.gif

How can he not know?!

• 1 month later...

Nolan: The Tenet is like the Titanic, but then in space. It's going to be huge, man.

Dieter Stark: Zzzzzz ... Wait what?!

5 hours ago, Richard said:

Nolan's new film could come with silver baubles, and The Queen doing the cha-cha-cha, dressed only in a  pink tutu, and I still wouldn't watch it.

Why not?

Karol

14 hours ago, Stefancos said:

You want to see her thrown off the balcony at Windsor castle and torn to shreds by the rioters.

Not quite.

14 hours ago, The Original said:

She seems like a sweet old lady!

She is. It's the other lot of freeloaders

that I can't stand.

On 7/1/2019 at 6:45 AM, Richard said:

Because I don't want to see The Queen doing the cha-cha-cha, dressed only in a pink tutu.

You need to accept Nolan into your heart, Richard.

FF2uBFZ.jpg

Karol

The Lord has been sighted whilst creating a new chapter of The Book:

His ways are beyond our understanding ...