crocodile

The Official Christopher Nolan Church Thread

Next Christopher Nolan film to open in July 2020.

Warner Bros. announced Friday that Nolan's next film will open in Imax on July 17, 2020.

The project is described as an event film, but nothing else is known about Nolan’s latest venture. The writer-director has a propensity for secrecy, writing his scripts away from any prying eyes. Furthermore, he is of such a stature that he can attract the actors he wants, package his project with thespians and then present it to a studio with what amounts to a simple yes or no question: Are you in or are you out?

The filmmaker is coming off of the World War II film Dunkirk, which won three Academy Awards and earned the filmmaker his first best director Oscar nomination. The Warner Bros. film grossed $526.9 globally.

10 hours ago, John said:

I wonder what genre Nolan will tackle next. He seems to be going the Kubrick route, and experimenting within different genres.

Working different genres is experimental and like Kubrick?

Spielberg has done almost every single genre. So has Richard Donner. Were they trying to be like Kubrick?

32 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Maybe he thought it was a pulpy genre.

Maybe. But than, so was science fiction when he rolled out A Space Odyssey...

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Spielberg has done almost every single genre. So has Richard Donner. Were they trying to be like Kubrick?

Yeah, that's true of many directors when you stack up their filmography, particularly if its quite voluminous. Especially since most films are of a composite genre of some sort or another.

It is, however, considerably more rare to see filmmakers dip into both the comedy and drama pools. Kubrick is noteworthy for doing so with Strangelove. I can't for the life of me picture Christopher Nolan doing a comedy.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Working different genres is experimental and like Kubrick?

You know what I meant!

17 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Yes. If you think how different Interstellar is to Dunkirk. One takes place x years in the future. The other during WWII. One takes place in deep space. The other in Dunkerque.

Nolan knows only one genre - cross-cutting.