Jump to content
crocodile

The Official Christopher Nolan Church Thread

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Richard said:

This "Dunkirk" trailer shows us nothing, and tells us nothing. It is redundant and moribund, relying on hyperbole, and reputation-like the director's other work. It is the cinematic equivalent of vomit. Avoid

 

Heretic! You shall burn for this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a teaser for a movie that is still shooting and a year away from release. But it does convey the "race against time" feeling that his movie will probably have. I thought it was a very good teaser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a masterful teaser. In Nolan's case they're almost always more compelling than the final product. Like an eloquent haiku, it suggests to the viewer in an impressionistic manner. It doesn't guide your hand and lecture you to the floor with truisms and dry plot machinery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll need to give him one thing. He knows how to market his product. There's always the same pattern. First, he gives you something vague to ponder on for a couple of months, Then he gives you a tad more. And then even more. It's almost as he's performing an "inception" on our brains. The three-trailers always give you the film's vibe and tone... but are also vague enough and don't give much away. The imagery used can be very misleading. I love this.

 

Karol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Richard said:

This "Dunkirk" trailer shows us nothing, and tells us nothing. It is redundant and moribund, relying on hyperbole, and reputation-like the director's other work. It is the cinematic equivalent of vomit. Avoid

 

Perhaps his next film will be about the truth of 9/11.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 11, 2016 at 11:58 AM, crocodile said:

You'll need to give him one thing. He knows how to market his product. There's always the same pattern. First, he gives you something vague to ponder on for a couple of months, Then he gives you a tad more. And then even more. It's almost as he's performing an "inception" on our brains. The three-trailers always give you the film's vibe and tone... but are also vague enough and don't give much away. The imagery used can be very misleading. I love this.

 

Karol

Interstellar showed way too much. Glad I didn't watch them until after I  saw the film. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Why is this film considered to be so good, again? Just curious.

 

The Big Lebowski is a 60s radical odyssey, a contemporary social satire and feel-good buddy movie rolled into one, and it's the Coens' finest hour. Yes, it's better than Fargo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

I have no idea how to really answer that sort of question. I assume you're not a fan?

I watched it in its entirety just recently. Thought it was ok. Not sure I see the appeal. Feels bit self-indulgent, to be honest. But that might be because it has such a reputation and I expected to be blown away by its wit.

 

But I see Paul Thomas Anderson was inspired by it when making Inherent Voice. Or maybe that was Thomas Pynchon?

 

Karol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 15, 2016 at 7:37 PM, Sharkus Malarkus said:

 

The Big Lebowski is a 60s radical odyssey, a contemporary social satire and feel-good buddy movie rolled into one, and it's the Coens' finest hour. Yes, it's better than Fargo.

Nah, Fargo is better. And No Country is better than both!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/08/2016 at 1:38 PM, crocodile said:

Did you get to see Inherent Vice, Rich?

 

Karol

 

Yes, I did. I liked it, but I prefer  "TBL".

 

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Nah, Fargo is better. And No Country is better than both!

 

You are entering a world of pain, Koray, a WORLD of pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16.8.2016 at 7:54 AM, crocodile said:

I watched it in its entirety just recently. Thought it was ok. Not sure I see the appeal.

 

Young people just have de-learned getting high and binge-watching TBL. The whole open air cinema seasons 1998 - 2001 in Berlin were just that and nobody who was there ever would want to part with the memories!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Sharkus Malarkus said:

 

No Country is one of my least favorite Coens, though that's probably because I think Cormac McCarthy is a morally bankrupt hack. 

 

Forget McCarthy. There's some impressive moviemaking going on here, especially during its first hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sharkus Malarkus said:

 

No Country is one of my least favorite Coens, though that's probably because I think Cormac McCarthy is a morally bankrupt hack. 

McCarthy can be pretentious, but I love their adaptation. The performances, the dry humor, the cinematography, the absence of music, the attention to visual details. Wonderfully rewarding film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Forget McCarthy. There's some impressive moviemaking going on here, especially during its first hour.

 

Don't get me wrong. It's an extremely well-made thriller. It just all starts with the script/source material for me, from the ground up. If the foundation's not there, it doesn't matter how good the dressing is. To paraphrase Don Seigel, a good script poorly directed can still make a decent film, but a bad script that's well directed will always be heap of crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×