The Official Thread for the Church of Oscar-winning Director and (soon to be) Sir Christopher Nolan

crocodile

I'm trying to get interested for this. Nolan is great. My favourite film of his being The Prestige, but I don't think even Nolan will be able to match the technical and emotional artistry of the Atonement scene. A constantly moving, uncut 5 minute shot, wonderfully conveying the long wait of all the soldiers, flawlessly executed and hard-hitting. I doubt Nolan can reach those heights, but I hope he can.

I don't really "know" Nolan, but this films looks very, very intriguing (due to my immense fascination with history). 

Very haunting trailer. 

Oh, and didn't realize Rylance was in this! 

However, I'm not sure if I'll see it. It may be a little too gory for me. :(

• 2 months later...

Which is why this genre is what he needs right now. Free of Nolan's temptation to get wrangled in plot machinations! This could be the Nolan film to restore the faith of the non-believers.

Perhaps it is time to pass on new teachings. A new testament may be near for the Church!

7 hours ago, KK said:

Which is why this genre is what he needs right now. Free of Nolan's temptation to get wrangled in plot machinations! This could be the Nolan film to restore the faith of the non-believers.

If my prediction is correct, and Nolan did make a movie that stretches Spielberg's Omaha Beach for the entirety of its running time, then it would explain why there is so little dialogue.

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Hmm, the soldiers are fighting on the beach. We see a lot of limbs flying around. But what does it really mean?

We can decide for ourselves what it means! Like with 2001: ASO!

Nolan is the new Kubrick! Cinema is saved!

• 4 weeks later...

While I'm not massively excited about Dunkirk (and that also having something to do with my general dislike of big historical epics and their usual lack of merit) what Our Lord Saviour says about his film in this interview sounds kind of encouraging, from the cinematic point of view anyway... and potentially even for his non-fans.

Karol

No, I just not a big believer when it comes to historical epics. I always find that fiction is more honest than factual films. These alwas end up lyiing in the end... one way or another.

Karol

On 08/03/2017 at 8:57 AM, Alexcremers said:

Hmm, the soldiers are fighting on the beach. We see a lot of limbs flying around. But what does it really mean?

It means he tried to rip-off Kubrick, and now he's trying to rip-off Spielberg.

... how fast it moves ... - Nolan

Sigh ...

Though the ADHD folks will love to hear it. No need for them to push the FF button.

As am I, or at least cautiously optimistic.

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

No, I just not a big believer when it comes to historical epics. I always find that fiction is more honest than factual films. These alwas end up lyiing in the end... one way or another.

Karol

Does the genre matter so much? With auteur artists/directors, it always ends up being how the story is told. 

4 hours ago, KK said:

As am I, or at least cautiously optimistic.

Does the genre matter so much? With auteur artists/directors, it always ends up being how the story is told. 

Not if the main focus is story and pace. :rimshot:

• 1 month later...

Not a great trailer. But very much looking forward to the film.

I will almost certainly be seeing this, since it's PG-13 (not a big fan of gore) and I'm a history nut. Looks very intriguing. 

Admired?  We'll see.  I'm interested in how much he seems to be aware of a need to move away from cumbersome dialogue, to go nearly silent.  I'm hoping for a well executed, taught, somewhat stirring war thriller, which isn't something we have in abundance.

Anyone else gets a Spielberg feeling when watching the trailer? We need to bring Ryan home ...

the-martian.png

Ryan? No, my name is Mark!

• 1 month later...