What to expect from Episode VIII's Score?

Unlucky Bastard

On 2/26/2017 at 7:01 AM, crumbs said:

There will almost certainly be pick-ups in October. It's probably already penciled in.

It looks like some pickups were already completed last fall (http://movieweb.com/star-wars-8-reshoots-happening-carrie-fisher/ it seems likely that this is when Lupita Nyong'o filmed her scenes or did her ADR or what have you) and that some reshoots are scheduled to take place next month (March 2017) in Scotland (http://screenrant.com/star-wars-8-reshoots/). Definitely could be more as well, though I'm not sure they'll be scheduled as late as October. It looks like The Last Jedi will not rely on them as much as Rogue One and TFA, of course. :) 

That's my favorite track on the CD I think, though the one right after it is equally amazing

Sure! And pretty much for the very same reasons.

If you think about it, it's pretty amusing to hear the same composer going back to 40-years old material and trying to make it sound fresh and genuine once again.

I think its like "The Jedi Steps and Finale" is a great cue following by a brilliant suite of themes, while "Farewell and the Trip" is a great film cue throughout.  While suites of themes can be spectacular, I tend to favor music actually written to picture, which is what could make it the favorite track for me

On 2/23/2017 at 8:25 PM, DarthDementous said:

can we merge this thread with the 'John Williams begins recording Episode VII in Los Angeles' one, since it seems like the comments and overall constraints of the discussion are the same - would just make it easier to follow when news actually does come out.

On 2/23/2017 at 10:13 PM, Jay said:

No.

On 2/24/2017 at 3:18 AM, DarthDementous said:

why? what's different between this thread and the other one.

New Star Wars scores by Williams are the biggest discussion this forum ever sees.  There's no reason to cram every angle of discussion about a new one into a single mega thread.  

If some new, actual news about the score comes out, one should start a new thread about that news, instead of piggybacking on the existing, speculation based threads.

On 2/21/2017 at 5:35 AM, crumbs said:

It's a work that reflects his stature and experience, without an inch of cynicism or the seeming ease of the bombastic writing he traditionally revels in with this series (see March of the Resistance).

I've been thinking about that phrasing quite a bit over the past couple days. For the longest time, I couldn't quite put into words why I liked Rey's theme quite as much as I did, or even why I liked it more so than other great Star Wars themes, even when they seemingly seemed equal to me at the surface level, but I think you just put it into words for me. It's that distinct lack of a sardonic or derisive underbite to the theme that, as you said, does seem to dominate the musical vernacular of the films that really makes it stand out. I didn't really realize that that was what it was specifically that did it for me until I came across your post. Thanks for putting into words what I could not.  Hats Off Salute animated emoticon

On 3/1/2017 at 5:01 PM, Jay said:

New Star Wars scores by Williams are the biggest discussion this forum ever sees.  There's no reason to cram every angle of discussion about a new one into a single mega thread.  

Are you sure we don't need a The Last Jedi subforum?

I saw somebody post this rumor from "Making Star Wars" about what Rey gets up to on the island with Luke, obviously speculation but I kinda hope this one's true for the musical potential and just because it sounds fucking weird and cool.

One of the more interesting mysteries of Star Wars: Episode VIII is what exactly takes place on Ahch-To. Before Rey arrived at the end of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Luke Skywalker was not alone, but rather sharing the island of Ahch-To with some surprising inhabitants, as we will see in Star Wars: Episode VIII.

The featured creatures of Ahch-To have befriended Luke Skywalker during his residency as a Jedi recluse. Rumor has it the creatures have razor sharp teeth and are a mixture of the terrifying and the adorable. They’re sort of like a bird mixed with a Gremlin. Those that have seen the tiny puppets on set are overjoyed by their presence in the film.

The other rumor worth noting is that the creature that personally has screen time with Skywalker sees himself as a “protector of the island(s) on Ahch-To.” Luke Skywalker has permission to be there while Rey does not. Rey has a sequence on Ahch-To where she fights a rather large sea monster. It has been suggested but not confirmed that Rey’s besting of the sea monster grants her permission to be at the sacred location. However, the sequences could be totally unrelated.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JohnSolo said:

I've seen that certain theme referred to on multiple sites as "The Separatist March", "The Separatist Theme", or "Count Dooku's Theme", which would be fitting, since he's the leader of the Separatists. The theme appears not only in the arena scene, but also during multiple battle scenes in ROTS, as well as the scene in which Anakin leads the clone troopers to the Jedi temple.

I think all of those ROTS appearances are tracked from AOTC, though. 

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

As far as I can remember, the theme only appeared twice in ROTS, and that is for the shot revealing Kashyyk and for the scene you mentioned (Anakin leading the clone troopers), and as Will said, both of those statements are tracked from The Arena, so we go back to the idea of it being music for the monsters, not the Separatists.

Yes sadly the Trade Federation March was entirely abandoned in AotC after its single appearance where it was rather curiously placed in terms of subtext. The arena march was obviously meant to be a one-off "monster battle music" in a gladiatorial style which reminded me of the Rancor music of RotJ quite a bit in style even if JW gave the sequence a bit more formal march form in AotC. It is ironic that it went unused in the film itself and found a new life as this militaristic new march in RotS when Lucas tracked it in for two scenes.

I don't think an ambitious freelance cellist making sure her credits are up to date means there will be cello solos, just that Williams is indeed including cellos in his string section.

Going off iMDB, it seems Williams conducted and orchestrated the score himself. No credit for Bill Ross, nor leaks that he handled some sessions.

The original report said sessions would wrap between March/April so they should be finishing the score soon.

*Never mind, turns out the old report I cited related to Leia's role in TLJ has since been revealed to be false.*

On 3/31/2017 at 9:10 PM, crumbs said:

Going off iMDB, it seems Williams conducted and orchestrated the score himself. No credit for Bill Ross, nor leaks that he handled some sessions.

The original report said sessions would wrap between March/April so they should be finishing the score soon.

That would be pretty impressive if it turned out Williams had no assistance with the orchestration or conducting on this score.

So exciting to think that they could possibly be done by the end of the month....hopefully they ask Johnson something about the score at the Star Wars Celebration panel coming up. I believe the one for TFA was when we got the first comments from Abrams, but I don't think they had even started recording yet so it was just a little aside about it being surreal to work with Williams. Would be sweet if we got some insight into the music itself.

23 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I want the end credits suite to include a grand performance of "Princess Leia's Theme" in tribute to Carrie Fisher. You know the film itself will be dedicated to her.

Dedicate the film to her, but do not mess with the musical narrative.  The new themes deserve their full place in the end credits. 

Considering the film will feature the last appearance (possibly/probably death) of Princess Leia, I think the musical narrative can survive an end credits reprise of her theme. The new material will get its due regardless.

She already got a (fairly unearned) reprise in III.  I don't need another two minutes from the most prime eight minutes of a new SW soundtrack of the same thing.