What to expect from Episode VIII's Score?

Unlucky Bastard

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

The three concert suites for the PT are among the least interesting stuff JW has written for those films!

I would disagree with that claim for TPM, though it did feel like Williams lost interest in concert suites for the next two.  The material was there, at least for RotS (Anakin's betrayal, dark deeds, grevious), for a longer suite. 

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Oh, to see the look on Richard Marquand's face if Williams played him that on the piano in his office when previewing the score.

Doesn't sound that different from a modern Williams action cue...

;)

• 1 month later...

TLJ feels darker and more brooding than TFA. I think the writing will head into darker territory ala Across the Stars, The Jedi Steps and Anakin's Betrayal, complete with subtle choral accompaniment. That's basically my favourite mode of Williams music.

Moreso than 'first film themes' like Anakin's Theme or Rey's Theme which lean towards optimism and hope more than despair.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

TLJ feels darker and more brooding than TFA. I think the writing will head into darker territory ala Across the Stars, The Jedi Steps and Anakin's Betrayal, complete with subtle choral accompaniment. That's basically my favourite mode of Williams music.

Moreso than 'first film themes' like Anakin's Theme or Rey's Theme which lean towards optimism and hope more than despair.

Oh hang on, I'll be in the Unpopular Opinions thread about this.

So there was a Star Wars Music and Sound panel at Comic Con with Conrad Pope as one of the panelist. I couldn't find much of it online. Anyone know if it will be posted online or anything? Conrad usually has great insight into JW's music and process.

I've been wondering what the "headliner theme(s)" for this score will be for (in other words, the new themes that will play in the end credit suite).  Will it be a new character theme, a duel and/or battle theme, a love theme, a hate theme, something else?  

I reckon there'll be a new theme for Rey (tied to her training with Luke) and a quirky love theme for Finn and Rose, minimum.

I guess it wouldn't be a surprise if we got a full blown militaristic First Order theme, based around Kylo Ren's motif (now he's becoming a full blown villain).

42 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I wonder if he'll write something new for Snoke or just stick with the male choir drone. Guess it depends what his role is.

Judging by the Lego minifigure's

Spoiler

open chest area and golden robes, perhaps we'll get something a bit more flamboyant and florid.  Almost like a lovers' theme but with a dark edge and sung by a male/low female choir.

51 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I reckon there'll be a new theme for Rey (tied to her training with Luke) and a quirky love theme for Finn and Rose, minimum.

I guess it wouldn't be a surprise if we got a full blown militaristic First Order theme, based around Kylo Ren's motif (now he's becoming a full blown villain).

The first seems like a given to me.  A Finn/Rose theme might happen but Rian mentioned something about there not being any prominent love story in the film (perhaps a friendship theme?).

I'd love it if the film had more soloists. Cello? Guitar? I know that's not really Star Wars-ian but he keeps reinventing the sound of the series so why not?

I can picture something medieval for the Croatian planet, maybe more harpischords. That stuff was fun in AOTC!

I'm really very optimistic. Firstly there is not that illness issue, secondly I trust in the composer developing the scope and the themes, so that Episode 7 is more or less like a basis of the new score. Oh, and I expect it to be darker. Who does not?

It's gonna be legen- wait for it

I honestly don't know what to expect from this score, beyond "it will sound like Star Wars!".  I do think that those desiring a more prequelesque sound will be disappointed.  

13 hours ago, karelm said:

Hey, that's our panel!  haha.  The full topic is music and sound effects from the original movie. You guys might enjoy this picture I took when David Cripps (principal horn of LSO original trilogy) first met Conrad Pope (orchestrator prequel trilogy).  Mr. Cripps was my Comic-con roommate and Mr. Pope was my teacher/mentor.  600 people attended the panel with another 1,200 people in line who couldn't get in.  It was also amazing to hear the sound design team talk of their initial experiences.

Neat!

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:21 AM, mrbellamy said:

And something besides the Force theme to end the film....please.

A mournful rendition of Luke's theme as the camera pans over his funeral? 

12 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Where are the leaks about this score? Why haven't we heard anything!? This isn't fair!!

Leaks only serve to dilute the impact of the score's legitimate release.  

To heck with leaks!  I'm waiting for fake leaks a la Episode VII!  Or maybe this score will feature an operatic cantilena and a swing number, and that guy from 2015 will be vindicated after all.  ("They were just recording stuff for VIII a couple years early!")

1 hour ago, DarthDementous said:

can't wait to to hear more of John William's Jizz.

The music is so alive, so vital and real, I can practically smell John's Jizz.

Former Tucson Symphony Orchestra lead cellist Xiaodan Zheng added to the scoring page on IMDb. Didn't work on TFA but is a regular on film scores.

Surely confirmation of extended cello solos in the new theme Rey of Light? There's no other plausible explanation.

11 hours ago, Will said:

I had a dream last night that it was December and the OST had just leaked. Was very disappointed when I woke up. Gosh, Christmas seems so far away... :(

Were you able to listen to it (in your dream) ?

I'd love it if the score was interspersed with lots of solo performances of themes, in the vein of Lincoln, Munich, Azkaban and Geisha. I know it's not really Star Wars to have lots of soloists but somehow Johnson's approach for this film seems ripe for such writing.

I think the isolation of Luke and Rey will be a musical goldmine for Williams.