Your Top Ten Star Wars themes...

Josh500

I always imagined that Han Solo and the Princess would work really well in a jazz setting (I could imagine a pianist or saxophonist playing it as a solo). But I had something more upbeat in mind than that video, something more like 152-156 bpm, with the whole bass and hi-hat thing, and with the tom-toms and offbeat crash cymbal coming in at around 0:46 in the concert version. But (clearly from the description above) I'm no jazzist so I wouldn't know how to go about arranging the whole thing. Anybody know what I'm getting at or am I just talking a load of crap?

9 hours ago, loert said:

I always imagined that Han Solo and the Princess would work really well in a jazz setting (I could imagine a pianist or saxophonist playing it as a solo). But I had something more upbeat in mind than that video, something more like 152-156 bpm, with the whole bass and hi-hat thing, and with the tom-toms and offbeat crash cymbal coming in at around 0:46 in the concert version. But (clearly from the description above) I'm no jazzist so I wouldn't know how to go about arranging the whole thing. Anybody know what I'm getting at or am I just talking a load of crap?

Do you mean something like this, but based on Han Solo and the Princess, angel baby?

3 hours ago, Score said:

Do you mean something like this, but based on Han Solo and the Princess, angel baby?

YES! But a little slower, and less crazy. :D

7 hours ago, loert said:

YES! But a little slower, and less crazy. :D

A piano solo analogous to the one kicking in at 2:31 might indeed be a bit too much for Han and Leia.

14 minutes ago, Score said:

A piano solo analogous to the one kicking in at 2:31 might indeed be a bit too much for Han and Leia.

Yeah. Only a bit though.

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason the Imperial March, at least in its album arrangement (I'm not familiar enough with the score so maybe there are some other cooler performances) hasn't really clicked with me (except in the AOTC finale). I hear people raving about it all the time but I've never been able to really enjoy it. And actually Yoda's theme and the love theme have never truly clicked either. Actually, that has happened at least a few times with JW: where I'm not a huge fan of some of the themes but there are many really cool smaller moments. Another example of this is TPM. I absolutely adore the score but I'm not a huge fan of Anakin's theme or DOTF. 

2 hours ago, Will said:

For some reason the Imperial March, at least in its album arrangement (I'm not familiar enough with the score so maybe there are some other cooler performances) hasn't really clicked with me (except in the AOTC finale). I hear people raving about it all the time but I've never been able to really enjoy it. And actually Yoda's theme and the love theme have never truly clicked either. Actually, that has happened at least a few times with JW: where I'm not a huge fan of some of the themes but there are many really cool smaller moments. Another example of this is TPM. I absolutely adore the score but I'm not a huge fan of Anakin's theme or DOTF. 

That's odd. That is probably the worst statement of the theme in the series for me. Really should not have been there that early. 

3 hours ago, Will said:

I have to say I agree with Will on a lot of this. I do like Anakin's theme and the Love theme though.

9 hours ago, Will said:

If the first 50 seconds of "The Asteroid Field" don't make that AOTC moment sound like crap then...I dunno, I just dunno.

9 hours ago, Will said:

When you say that you don't like a theme, you mean that you don't like the concert arrangement, or really the theme itself? They are two very different concepts, and while I generally like all of JW's themes, I am not a huge fan of many of his concert arrangements, in other words I prefer the way he uses the themes in the film scores to the way he presents them to the audiences in concerts or in dedicated CD tracks (although Imperial March, DOTF and Anakin's theme are among my favourite concert arrangements - Anakin's theme should have been a bit longer, though).

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

If the first 50 seconds of "The Asteroid Field" don't make that AOTC moment sound like crap then...I dunno, I just dunno.

@Red

What I really like about the AOTC moment is not so much the theme itself but rather the awesome fanfare:

4 hours ago, Score said:

When you say that you don't like a theme, you mean that you don't like the concert arrangement, or really the theme itself? They are two very different concepts, and while I generally like all of JW's themes, I am not a huge fan of many of his concert arrangements, in other words I prefer the way he uses the themes in the film scores to the way he presents them to the audiences in concerts or in dedicated CD tracks (although Imperial March, DOTF and Anakin's theme are among my favourite concert arrangements - Anakin's theme should have been a bit longer, though).

I guess I'm mostly judging on the concert arrangements, since that's what I'd tend to listen to the most, although in the case of TPM I have heard the complete score recently, and with TESB I've seen the whole film recently. 

In the case of the Imperial March, what I can definitively say is that there was never a time when I wanted to repeatedly listen to it. In the case of, for example, the Superman concert arrangement and the Jurassic Park album arrangement, I would listen to those themes repeatedly when I first discovered them. I was completely in love with them. That never happened with the Imperial March, despite the fact that many seem to think it's on the same level as the Superman and JP main themes. Just a matter of personal taste, I guess. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/7/2016 at 0:35 PM, Sandor said:

Seriously..? Wow.

Sorry, I should have said ".....Ben's theme WILL have a resolution, but it hasn't been written yet......."

• 6 months later...

1)  Force theme

2)  Luke's theme

3)  Qui-Gon's theme (idiot Lucas not wanting the theme at all, otherwise we would likely have a concert version)

4)  Rey's theme

5)  Yoda's theme

6)  Imperial March

7)  Little people

8) Han Solo and princess

9) Leia's theme

10) Across the stars

Well, I am going from memory here, but basically Williams had a definite theme for Qui-Gon (which you still hear during the jedi arrival at Theed, the first Qui-Gon/Maul fight, and Qui-Gon's death), but Lucas decided against a full theme for him.  So, Williams decreased its role in the movie and never gave it a concert version.