Heroes & Aliens concert

Omen II

The Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra will be performing an interesting looking programme of music from space films at a number of venues in the south of England in February and March.  I thought this was worthy of a new thread as it is a very good orchestra and there is a lot of John Williams music scheduled, including some stuff that does not get programmed very often such as War of the Worlds and the theme from Lost In Space (which season I cannot tell you).

Heroes & Aliens

There will be concerts in Exeter, Poole, Portsmouth, Brighton and Bristol.  Pete Harrison, who knows his way around a John Williams score, conducts.

:john:

J Williams Star Wars - Main Title, Horner Apollo 13, Goldsmith Star Trek: Nemesis - End Titles, J Williams E.T Suite, Giacchino Star Trek XI - Hella Bar Talk/Enterprising Young Men, Giacchino Star Trek into the Darkness: London Calling, Rabin Armageddon, J Williams Across the Stars (Love Theme from Star Wars Attack of the Clones), 

J Williams Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Horner Avatar - War, Goldsmith Alien, Horner Aliens, Phillips Battlestar Galactica, Grainer/Gold Dr Who Theme, J Williams War of the Worlds, J Williams Lost in Space, J Williams Superman

Superb programme! I'm envious of those who can go.

LOST IN SPACE theme in concert! That can't have happened very often, if ever. I wish Williams himself included things like that in his concerts.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, karelm said:

Looks perfect for me.  Is anyone here planning to attend and report back?

I will be going to the one in Brighton, so will be sure to report back, alien abduction notwithstanding.

:john: + :jerry: + :james: = :D

Just now, Omen II said:

I will be going to the one in Brighton, so will be sure to report back, alien abduction notwithstanding.

:john: + :jerry: + :james: = :D

That's great.  They don't broadcast or release these online or anything do they?  Do you know what the music is from the concert trailer?   Sort of sounds like Goldenthal Alien 3 but it isn't that.

2 hours ago, karelm said:

That's great.  They don't broadcast or release these online or anything do they?  Do you know what the music is from the concert trailer?   Sort of sounds like Goldenthal Alien 3 but it isn't that.

It's not unusual for Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra concerts to be broadcast on BBC Radio 3, but that in itself probably rules out more "populist" fare such as this.  However, I will let you know if I hear anything.

I can't place the music from the trailer either - it's bugging me!

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Omen II said:

I'm on the train back from Brighton.  They played both versions of the Lost In Space theme with one of the cues for the robot as a sort of bridge.  I liked!

??

Whoa! Fantastic. I would have loved to hear that. Was this broadcast or filmed in any way?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Whoa! Fantastic. I would have loved to hear that. Was this broadcast or filmed in any way?

I took a couple of sneaky photos but sadly I do not think the concert was recorded.  The Lost In Space suite was very fun to hear in concert and seemed largely faithful to the originals, a synthesiser substituting well for the electro-theremin that dominates the season one main title.  There was then a brief section of underscore that I recognised but could not quite place (it may have been part of Smith's Entrance or one of the cues for the robot) before segueing to the season three main title.  The famous horn figures in this part sounded to me as if they had been transcribed incorrectly, as the timing sounded different from the original - it was not a mistake by the horn section, as there were six of them and they all played in unison.  Unfortunately one of the brass players played the very last note wrong which was very noticeable, but otherwise it was a very welcome inclusion of a rarely heard Williams gem and was warmly received by the audience.

The full programme was as follows (I may have misremembered the exact sequence):

Star Wars - Main Title (Williams)

Lost In Space - Suite (Williams)

Apollo 13 - Main Title (Horner)

Alien - End Title (Goldsmith)

Star Trek - Hella Bar Talk / Enterprising Young Men (Giacchino)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Suite (Williams)

Star Trek: Nemesis - End Titles (Goldsmith)

INTERVAL (during which Omen II had a 'New Forest Gateau' ice cream - very nice)

Battlestar Galactica - Theme (Phillips)

Attack of the Clones - Across the Stars (Williams)

Armageddon - Theme (Rabin)

E.T. - Adventures on Earth (Williams)

Dr Who - Theme (Grainer / Gold)

ENCORE

Superman - March (Williams)

There were a couple of pieces that were dropped (perhaps due to time constraints?) including John Williams's War of the Worlds, which would have been good to hear.