Batman v Superman versus Captain America v Iron Man

Which "face off" film are you more looking forward to?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which "face off" film are you more looking forward to?

• Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice
    • Captain America: Civil War
    • Neither. The whole idea of heroes battling each other is contrived.

This year it will be Batman versus Superman, and Iron Man against the Captain. So DC against DC, Marvel against Marvel, but ultimately Marvel against DC....

Two films which seem to centre around beloved heroes in conflict with each other. Alien versus Predator but with Superheroes.

My vote goes to Batman versus Superman. I have no idea why they should fight. And it seems clear that Supes would clip the bats wing in seconds. But there are the two oldest and most enduring superheroes. So there definitely is a sense of occasion here.

Cap versus Stark seems like second tier entertainment in comparison.

I'm much more of a Lucasfilm person than a comic book film person. I've enjoyed some of the batman films but I've never cared for Marvel. I have zero interest in batman vs superman.

I'm looking forward to The BFG this summer.

I'm more looking forward to Civil War than Dawn of Justice. But not for the hero vs hero stuff, more the other continuing storylines in this universe ; the end of the Peggy Carter arc, Bucky and Cap reuniting, aftermath of Ultron, how the various Avengers deal with their differing opinions on the new political stuff, etc.

43 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

Neither.  I wish superhero films would just die out already.   

eventually it will. I think BO numbers will start reflecting that this year.  However if they continue to make good quality films....

Hans Zimmer, eh? Who's scoring this new Cap movie, Hugh Jackman again?

This reminds me, there was a time in my life when I'd buy any Elfman score without question. He used to be that good. But the other day I saw Avengers 2 in the soundtrack section at JB Hi-Fi, saw the pricetag of about $40, put it down and never looked at it again.

Beats me why some score CDs like Cap 1 and Thor were like $17 in Australia, but Avengers 2 is like some overpriced import.

I think Affleck looks good in the role when he's not in a goofy robot suit, but that's judging strictly from what little we've seen in the trailers. I'm mostly just interested in seeing that take on Batman. It may be a mistake that a new interpretation of the character is part of an ensemble movie with a million other DC Comics characters, but who knows how it'll turn out.

I could care less about Marvel.

11 hours ago, Indianagirl said:

I'm much more of a Lucasfilm person than a comic book film person. I've enjoyed some of the batman films but I've never cared for Marvel. 

Indiana Jones if often described as a comic book character.

670813_zpsqdk54mge.jpg

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Man Of Steel was mired by its script, which insisted of explaining almost everything in painstaking detail. I call it "Nolan's disease".

Maybe. But notice how Nolan himself distanced himself from this film. At first, they were using his name heavily to get this thing going. But the closer they got to release, he seemed to have disappeared completely from publicity materials. I can understand he's been working on TDKR, but it was noticeable to me.

Karol

To be honest, from the beginning Nolan has said  "We have set it up (story, concept) but  everything else is totally in the hands of Zack." Zack merely tried to give what the studio was asking for, which is never the right way of doing things, BTW.

Recently Henry Cavill has said, we don't care what people say, we will continue with the style of the first one. 

• 4 months later...

Well I'm going to go out and see both these films tonight...... wish me luck!

X-Men isn't playing in the USA yet, crocs.

So because of the way the showings were, I'm seeing Batman first. Entered the theater 8 minutes before scheduled start time, and I'm the only one here!

Wow, Batman v Superman was terrible. What a depressing slog to sit through.  The film is not any fun and somehow feels too long and too short at the same time.

It was way too dark, way too violent, and way too loud with a seriously terrible score that often featured loud pounding drums in scenes that probably didn't even need score at all.

The best part of the film was easily Gal Gadot, she was completely terrific in every scene she was in :up:

Jermeny Irons was totally wasted in this.  Affleck was alright I guess, but I never felt like he was playing any Batman or Bruce Wayne I knew. It's like a totally different portrayal so it was practically like a new character and not a continuation of such an established role.

Best scene was easily Amy Adams in the bath tub. Hubba hubba! You don't see that in a Marvel movie!

Speaking of Marvel movies, Cap 3 trailers are starting now.. I wonder how many of them will be the same .

Wow there are way more people in this theater, heading towards totally full. Bat v Supes eventually got like 12 people in the theater 

Well that wasn't bad, not as good as Winter Soldier because it was just battles and discussion, no mystery solving or game changing.

Spider-Man was great, Black Panther ain't bad. Vision is too powerful, I think he'll be killed off in Avengers 3.

Another completely forgettable score but at least it never made the film worse like BvSs.

I miss Nick Fury and SHIELD stuff too.

Cap making out with Peggys niece was kinda odd.

How is she an aunt anyway, her only brother from the show was dead in the 40s.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Cap making out with Peggys aunt was kinda odd.

How is she an aunt anyway, her only brother from the show was dead in the 40s.

Did he time travel? Peggy's aunt would be long gone.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Wow, Batman v Superman was terrible. What a depressing slog to sit through.  The film is not any fun and somehow feels too long and too short at the same time.

It was way too dark, way too violent, and way too loud with a seriously terrible score that often featured loud pounding drums in scenes that probably didn't even need score at all.

The best part of the film was easily Gal Gadot, she was completely terrific in every scene she was in :up:

Jermeny Irons was totally wasted in this.  Affleck was alright I guess, but I never felt like he was playing any Batman or Bruce Wayne I knew. It's like a totally different portrayal so it was practically like a new character and not a continuation of such an established role.

Best scene was easily Amy Adams in the bath tub. Hubba hubba! You don't see that in a Marvel movie!

Speaking of Marvel movies, Cap 3 trailers are starting now.. I wonder how many of them will be the same .

Wow there are way more people in this theater, heading towards totally full. Bat v Supes eventually got like 12 people in the theater 

Idiot!

The most profound issue with both these films is that the concept behind them is too much a gimmick and the plot too artificial because of that.

Both films spend a lot of time and dialogue on why the heroes are going up against each other, but in both cases it involves manipulations of an outside party, rather then any real difference in views or beliefs that would justify such a clash.

Especially with Civil War it feels like the guys all having a sit down together and actually talk things though would have avoided a lot.

BvS is a bit too heavyhanded for it's own good. And the plot is very clunky (no surprise since its both a reboot, a sequel and a set up movie)

Civil War is actually a bit too lightweight for it's own good. Up until the very end none of the heroes seem to want to actually hurt each other. So they are all sorta pulling their punches. No one dies and even Rhodes gets injured because of friendly fire.

Jason is right that Vision is too powerful for this particular conflict, which is probably why he was largely sidelined during the big battle. It's also a possible reason why thor and Hulk arent in this.

Both films are entertaining, if flawed. Structurally Civil War is better, but it's largely an inconsequential film. Mostly a set up for Avengers 3.

BvS is more important to it's franchise, and it's a more ambitious film, though more flawed then the more polished Civil War.

I would give a slight edge to BvS over Civil War.

BvS has a more flawed script than Civil War does.

It borders somewhere between stupid and really stupid.

Ambitious perhaps. But that ambition apparently fell flat before the movie even started shooting.

Couldn't have thought of a slightly more sensible reason for the titular fight to occur and finish?

And for Superman to "die" from kryptonyte poisoning despite there being two very clear alternatives?

Dark, gritty, not at all fun, seemingly ambitious, supposedly realistic and in the end SO DUMB!

That's "modern movie syndrome" right there.

Those type of movies truly couldn't end soon enough for me.

If you know you have a movie that isn't too be taken seriously, there is quite a lot of silly stuff I can forgive.

Not when you pretend it is a serious and "important" movie when if really totally isn't.

That just makes it even more stupid then a movie that knows itself to be stupid.

Because everybody wanted to see for themselves if it was truly as bad as it's made out to be?

That might almost be considered a clever marketing strategy.

By that reasoning, the next Ghostbusters might do surprisingly well too.