88th Annual Academy Awards Discussion (2016 Oscars for 2015 films)

Jay

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

I liked 'Beasts of No Nation' but in the end, it felt like it should have had much bigger emotional impact considering the subject matter (teenage african mercenaries, the lost boys of the black continent, so to speak). It may sound facetious but this movie could've dealt with a bit more Spielberg manipulation (and a more focused storyline).

Just to specify, by "they", I literally meant everyone.

Every year, you're going to get complaints about the lack of racial diversity or lack of gay people represented, etc etc. Last year, David Oyelowo's snub made more sense. But with all the fuss, I'm curious to know which major players the Academy has missed this year? Aren't these nominations pretty similar to all the other award bodies? But since its the Oscars, they'll get the flack.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It's easy to use this kind of excuses when your movie sucks!

Carol is a very good film!

5 minutes ago, KK. said:

Every year, you're going to get complaints about the lack of racial diversity or lack of gay people represented, etc etc. Last year, David Oyelowo's snub made more sense. But with all the fuss, I'm curious to know which major players the Academy has missed this year? Aren't these nominations pretty similar to all the other award bodies? But since its the Oscars, they'll get the flack.

Racist!

3 hours ago, KK. said:

This reflects more the overall amount released that contains something (non-whites, rainbow folk, etc and women) both behind the camera and in the story (meaning a very small amount of movies in total) than the attitudes of the Oscars. The Oscars are the same a usual (self-promotion as evaluated by mostly older white men), so the good ones that have those things and that happen to good might fall through the cracks just like the ones that don't have those things and also happen to be good.

Exactly! The media paints it like the Oscars are a bunch of racists and homophobes for neglecting such films, but there has to be more of that in the industry to begin with. And I'm sure someone will link here a long list of films with all those things that were neglected this year. But like any other film, to get Oscar attention requires a lot of heavy campaigning during awards season, and its simply a competitive market. So as you say, the lack of diversity is more a question of how hard it is for such films to get to the spotlight rather than the faults of the Academy.

To clarify, I'm hardly saying the Academy is faultless, they have plenty of things to fix up there. But they aren't the real problem. And each year, the failure to see that seems more silly and misguided to me.

Yeah, the main problem is managing to get people beyond the default behind the camera (against studio and distributor backlash), and managing to greenlight movies with elements beyond that default (against the same thing). Loads and loads of different hurdles for that.

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

The fact that Straight Outta Compton wasn't nominated for Best Picture just goes to show the Academy is a bunch of fucking racists.

You mean it's an actual movie? I thought it was just a meme.

Straight Outta Compton was decent but not great.  I am not surprised it wasn't nominated.  That said, much better than some shitty past nominees.  The Blind Side and The Imitation Game come to mind.

20 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

The fact that Straight Outta Compton wasn't nominated for Best Picture just goes to show the Academy is a bunch of fucking racists.

Yeah, it should be nominated for best score too!  So much better than the crap that is.  Just a bunch of boring orchestras written by old white men!  

• 1 month later...

I'll be watching the ceremony tonight; Anyone else?

I wish I had had time to see more nominees.....

I saw Mad Max, The Martian, Bridge of Spies, Carol, Spotlight, TFA, Room, Ex Machina, Inside Out, and Joy.

I didn't see The Revenant, The Big  Short, The Danish Girl, Brooklyn, The Hateful Eight, Sicario, Steve Jobs, Trumbo, 45 Years, Creed, Cinderella or Straight Outta Compton...

I've only managed to see Mad Max, Ex Machina and inside Out.

Mostly because of the several month delay between DVD release and rental availability.

The whole racism thing feels to me like Jada Pinkett Smith (who the hell is she, apart from Will Smith's wife?) throwing a hissy fit that Will wasn't nominated, and wrapping it up in a racism issue to make it PC for everyone to agree.

The whole "racism" thing was started by a group of very noisy celebrities, who were later dismissed by some more level-headed ones. Too bad by that time social media was already too taken with the headline.

And I've seen about all the major nominees except Straight Outta Compton I guess.

But...but...I saw Creed and Beasts of No Nation!! That's gotta count for something right?

In the end, Idris Elba's snub is the only one worth fussing about. He was fantastic.

43 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Sure... A movie about a black man who needs the help of a superior white man to learn how to fight, 

A superior white man who beat the black man's daddy in the ring after taking him the distance the year prior, but needed his help to beat another superior black man later. 

Haven't seen Trumbo, Danish Girl, Ex Machina, or Straight Outta Compton from the major categories. I'll see Ex Machina at some point, might get around to Compton and Trumbo, no real interest in Danish Girl.

I like that for once there's not really a 100% obvious choice for Best Picture at this point. Seems like it'll probably go to The Revenant what with DiCaprio and Inarritu probably winning, but The Big Short or Spotlight could still spoil it.

2 hours ago, KK. said:

In the end, Idris Elba's snub is the only one worth fussing about. He was fantastic.

And that's probably more down to Netflix prejudice than a race thing...

Yep.  If Netflix had put it in theaters 3 months before its netflix debut it might have been a different story.