John Williams Receives 50th Oscar Nomination for 'The Force Awakens'

Ricard

Yeah, I caught the livestream too.

Even if this wasn't a particular Williams favourite of mine, I was soooo rooting for him to get his 50th! What a milestone!

Also looking forward to the photo of Williams and Morricone together (if the Italian makes the trip). Lucky Johann Johannsson, Thomas Newman and Carter Burwell to be able to stand with such film music royalty.

Does anyone remember a photo with Morricone & Williams, taken some time during the 80s or early 90s at an ASCAP or BMI event or something? If you know where I can find it, let me know.

48 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, I caught the livestream too.

Even if this wasn't a particular Williams favourite of mine, I was soooo rooting for him to get his 50th! What a milestone!

Only the second person after Walt Disney to get that many. Of most-nominated living people, Woody Allen is next in line with 24.

I will say, plenty can change in a month and a half, so I wouldn't count Williams out, and I wouldn't be exactly certain about Morricone, even if he is currently the favorite.  I remember this time last year, it seemed like most were expecting Theory of Everything to win, then Desplat, the perennial nominee-but-ignoree snatched it away.

Not that I expect Williams to win, but nothing is certain.

7 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:
7 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

And also what is this crap about Walt Disney being nominated MORE times than John WIlliams?

For what? Williams is a composer-Walt Disney is an *entity*.

I wondered about this too. I'm guessing that when Disney received all those nominations that the rules and categories differed from their current form. The rules may have been that the studio head received the nomination on behalf of the artists (such as the animation team) involved in creating the studio's movie. 

23 minutes ago, That_Bloke said:

Oh the irony should Newman win :-/ 

23 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

JWFan will explode!

If this does happen, I'd just like to go on record to say I called it here.

25 minutes ago, Romão said:

Morricone is the clear favorite, but I think JW is next in line

Agree, I think it is between them and Carter Burwell (Carol's score is the typical kind of thing they would go for, and the movie did get acting and screenplay notices). Morricone will probably end up taking it in the end, but it's really not a stretch to think the majority would pick Star Wars' music out of this group.

1 minute ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

If this does happen, I'd just like to go on record to say I called it here.

Nah. Morricone's got this in the bag.

It's a good list of scores though. All fine stuff!

Amazing. 50 Oscar nominations. That's a record I think will be very hard for anyone to break.

But my best guess is Ennio Morricone will receive the award, his first real Oscar for The Hateful Eight. He's 87, that's probably his last chance for getting it.

(I'm rooting for Thomas Newman too, he's deserved it so much for years.)

Still: congratulations to Maestro Williams on being nominated for the 50th time for an Oscar.

This is probably the first time in a while that I'm okay with him simply being nominated without any chance of actually winning.  That number 50 is a cool milestone and I'm thrilled that it came with Star Wars.  It's a nice encapsulation of one of the best careers in the history of film.

I'm pretty sure everyone on the board is more or less rooting early for The BFG to be a more serious contender for him to take home another trophy.

2 hours ago, Romão said:

Morricone is the clear favorite, but I think JW is next in line

Johann Johansson will surely win this year. The exotic name rule dictates it.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Holkenborg was snubbed!

Who?!!!

1 hour ago, KK. said:

Sicario is a fine score, and much more deserving of its nomination than Theory of Everything.

But it still probably shouldn't be up here.  I can think of several more deserving scores.  

2 hours ago, Brian99_1 said:

Wow 50 nominations that's more than impressive

Most impressive?

Yeah it shouldn't. But the Oscars rarely nominate the 5 "best" of the year. As the Oscars go, this is a pretty decent list.