John Williams Receives 50th Oscar Nomination for 'The Force Awakens'

Ricard

Morricone is a fantastic composer but TH8 is hardly a great score. This situation is like when Scorsese won for The Departed. Not even close to his best work but a very good late in life work that was awarded an Oscar in case he never got another chance. 

5 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I just don't hear the masterful originality you speak of. It sounds like something anyone could do.

Clearly these are falling on deaf ears...

4 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

They put the Composers closer to the stage because the only two that were ever going to win are both octogenarians that don't want to walk 30 miles to get the award. 

Ha, that would have been funny if the Wagner ride of the Valkyries end speech music began before they made it to the stage.

Are you referring to the vids I posted Sharky?

They're basically L'inferno Bianco and Raggi di Solle Montagna.

10 hours ago, KK. said:

Clearly these are falling on deaf ears...

These pieces are supposed to impress me? They're repetitively simple and sound like he just asked the Orchestra to tune up and he'll record it.

I think it is time for Williams to stop trying and have his scores consist of tuning noises. Gets you the awards apparently.

Just now, Incanus said:

I think it is time for Williams to stop trying and have his scores consist of tuning noises. Gets you the awards apparently.

Nostalgia got Morricone the award.

4 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Nostalgia got Morricone the award.

It is the vote of the majority that got him the Oscar whatever the reasons behind it. But I demand a recount!

I am still sad Carol didn't even win a pity Oscar for the best music.

No, it is good music. I heard that the film presentation leaves a lot to be desired so it makes it puzzling. But I can't fault the writing.

Karol

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

No, it is good music. I heard that the film presentation leaves a lot to be desired so it makes it puzzling. But I can't fault the writing.

Karol

I wasn't bowled over by the Hateful Eight album to be honest. While it sounds functional and undoubtedly ramps up the tension and atmosphere I found it a bit uninteresting on its own. I have not seen the film so I have no idea how it works with the picture.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

That is unquestionably true.

I'd say guilt!

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

That is unquestionably true.

It is a bit sad, cause he's already won a nostalgia Oscar.

I was talking about The Hateful Eight, BloodBoal. I love Morricone's suspense scores, he's a master on the level of Herrmann when it comes to that.

Karol

Williams won the Oscar for Star Wars. Therefore the guilt factor doesn't apply. And the nostalgia factor isn't as strong when we've had 7 Star Wars scores released over the last 39 years.

3 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Williams won the Oscar for Star Wars. Therefore the guilt factor doesn't apply. And the nostalgia factor isn't as strong when we've had 7 Star Wars scores released over the last 39 years.

Guilt of the Academy members for not awarding Morricone an Oscar for his music, just his life work. Obviously!

One reason is that he hasn't done that many American films to get nominated but also he has been snubbed several times when has been up for the Oscar in the past. This is making up for all those times this great maestro hasn't won one.

And Johnny already has 5 they think. He doesn't need one extra. The nominations are his reward, the most nominated person alive and with record for a single person (no Mr. Disney you really don't count) and that is the way the Academy honors him. So alas no Oscar again this year.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Oh, my...

200_s.gif

And for the record I am not too upset about this. Morricone's win was a foregone conclusion and I think he deserved one, perhaps not for this score, but he definitely deserved one. So I am happy he got it.

4 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Guilt of the Academy members for not awarding Morricone an Oscar for his music, just his life work. Obviously!

One reason is that he hasn't done that many American films to get nominated but also he has been snubbed several times when has been up for the Oscar in the past. This is making up for all those times this great maestro hasn't won one.

And Johnny already has 5 they think. He doesn't need one extra. The nominations are his reward, the most nominated person alive and with record for a single person (no Mr. Disney you really don't count) and that is the way the Academy honors him. So alas no Oscar again this year.

Agreed. Ennio's Oscar was certainly in part nostalgia, part "the story" (veteran Western composer returns to his roots etc) and part because he had not been properly recognized by the Academy throughout his career (the fact that he had already won the honorary Oscar kind of proves his irrelevant that award actually is)

While with Williams there was certainly a similar amount of nostalgia when it comes to returning to Star Wars, with 5 Oscars and 50 nominations under his belt he certainly is NOT unrecognized.

People react like I've murdered Morricone's entire family when I say I'm not a fan of his Hateful Eight score. I haven't once insulted him personally, nor would I ever. I acknowledge and appreciate his talent and the incredible contribution he has made to music. I enjoy some of his work, but I'm not going to cry and go weak at the knees for his latest work, just because of his status and skill. If I don't like something, I don't like it.

Let's face it, neither of the two really deserved an Oscar for those particular scores. They're contributions are great, way above the competition. But these are not The Mission, Jaws, Sergio Leone trilogy or Schindler's List. Whenever John Williams won an award (unless you count Fiddler), it was always for something really iconic and landmark. I'm not sure that The Force Awakens, as great as it is, reaches that status. So I'm absolutely not bothered by what happened. At least it wasn't Carol. A nice, but completely unremarkable score.

Karol

12 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

People react like I've murdered Morricone's entire family when I say I'm not a fan of his Hateful Eight score. I haven't once insulted him personally, nor would I ever. I acknowledge and appreciate his talent and the incredible contribution he has made to music. I enjoy some of his work, but I'm not going to cry and go weak at the knees for his latest work, just because of his status and skill. If I don't like something, I don't like it.

This has nothing to do with you not liking the score, rather some claims you made regarding the score and the composer.

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Let's face it, neither of the two really deserved an Oscar for those particular scores. They're contributions are great, way above the competition. But these are not The Mission, Jaws, Sergio Leone trilogy or Schindler's List.

I've heard variations of this opinion countless time and they seem to indicate a profound misunderstanding about what winning an Oscar is about.

TFA and Hatefull Eight were not competing against better scores these composers had written years previously. That isnt the point. They were valued against the other scores of that particular year. It's completely irrelevant that Jaws or The Mission are better scores.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

This has nothing to do with you not liking the score, rather some claims you made regarding the score and the composer.

Very true. And interestingly Leeallen will react aggressively when a person gives his opinion about the music of his beloved Giacchino.

An interesting, but fairly hypocritical new member, I guess.

7 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I'd be interested to know these claims I made of Morricone.

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I've heard variations of this opinion countless time and they seem to indicate a profound misunderstanding about what winning an Oscar is about.

TFA and Hatefull Eight were not competing against better scores these composers had written years previously. That isnt the point. They were valued against the other scores of that particular year. It's completely irrelevant that Jaws or The Mission are better scores.

I never said that. I just meant that I find neither of them particularly unique or award-worthy.

I try to look at Best Score category from a broader perspective. And I'm not talking about comparing it to previous decades. It's just how the score is put together, how it's presented in the film. It's not only about what is the best music as such. In a way, Giacchino's work on Jupiter Ascending was more deserving, for instance, because it was a very unusual way to compose a score for a film, one that could be a great model for future blockbusters and serve this artform well. I'm not saying it was terrific music, better than Morrricone's or Williams', but it felt like it brought something to the table (in terms of big movies) that could actually enrich the artform. That is one example. I know you'll disagree, and that's fine.

(And yes, Koray, I know Zimmer and Morricone worked like that before. But it felt bit different for a more conventional composer like Giacchino to do this)

Karol

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

And interestingly Leeallen will react aggressively when a person gives his opinion about the music of his beloved Giacchino.

An interesting, but fairly hypocritical new member, I guess.

I'm hypocritical because I defend scores I like and not scores I don't like... I think perhaps a dictionary would benefit you.

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I never said that. I just meant that I find neither of them particularly unique or award-worthy.

One could probably say the same for many of the nominated scores of the last decade. In the larger perspective of Hollywood history very few recent soundtracks would be worthy of awards. But since it's detrimental to simply say that "this years crop of scores didnt measure up, so there will be no Oscar given" another batch was found to be "worthy enough"....

20 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

No offense to Morricone, because he clearly has had an incredible career and you could see the emotion in his speech, but I find his Hateful Eight score graining, repetitive and averagely standard. I don't see the brilliance in it at all unfortunately. I haven't seen the film, so I'm guessing it may be one of those that works perfectly with the film, but as a listening experience, it doesn't do anything for me at all.

This statement is a fair one, but luckily listening enjoyment of film score independent of its film is secondary anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

This statement is a fair one, but luckily listening enjoyment of film score independent of its film is secondary anyway. 

Of course. I haven't seen the film, so cannot judge its effectiveness in its intended format, but the music itself doesn't impress me. 

On Monday, February 29, 2016 at 10:30 AM, leeallen01 said:

No offense to Morricone, because he clearly has had an incredible career and you could see the emotion in his speech, but I find his Hateful Eight score graining, repetitive and averagely standard. I don't see the brilliance in it at all unfortunately. I haven't seen the film, so I'm guessing it may be one of those that works perfectly with the film, but as a listening experience, it doesn't do anything for me at all.

It was a pretty good, but not great, score in a pretty good, but not great, movie.  Since Williams had no shot of winning anyway, I have no problem with this Morricone win, at least compared to the others on offer.