JURASSIC PARK - Live to Projection Concerts

Jay

That's really neat. Our orchestra is looking into those, but they're expensive as we would need to hire many extras to play any of them. We're only a "classical" size orchestra, so we would need to hire a lot of extra people. One can dream though. 

Not a fan of these film concerts in general, but this I might consider if I have the opportunity. My favourite film score of all time, and one of my favourite films of all time. When you've seen it 50-60 times, it's refreshing with a new way to view it.

Home Alone has a lot of unscored sections too, but that concert totally worked.  Of course it helps that most of the unscored sections have source music.

1 hour ago, scallenger said:

Can you imagine a live to projection of Temple of Doom? That film is practically non-stop, wall-to-wall Williams.

It would be amazing, but I don't think the film is nearly as popular as the ones they've been giving concerts to.

23 hours ago, Jay said:

Fantastic news!

9 hours ago, Thor said:

My favourite film score of all time, and one of my favourite films of all time. 

Absolutely, it's my favorite score and my favorite film. Plus, Jurassic Park contains my all-time favorite piece of music, the cue "Journey To The Island". And, the scene that plays during that cue is my favorite movie scene of all time. The marriage between picture and score is so perfect; Spielberg and Williams both totally nail it for that scene -- to me, it seems about as close to perfection in cinema as is possible. Just seeing "Journey To The Island" performed live to picture would make getting tickets for this worthwhile. 

7 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

It's one of Williams' best musical moments ever, as far as I'm concerned.

You mean one of Patrick Doyle's best musical moments ever? ;)

I wonder if they will have the orchestra play some of the music that was dropped from the film, like the Goat Bait scene or the beginning of High Wire Stunts.

Also, I wonder if the scene with Ellie in the shed will use Williams intended music, or if the orchestra will copy the film's tracking of various cues

12 hours ago, Jay said:

I wonder if they will have the orchestra play some of the music that was dropped from the film, like the Goat Bait scene or the beginning of High Wire Stunts.

Also, I wonder if the scene with Ellie in the shed will use Williams intended music, or if the orchestra will copy the film's tracking of various cues

Probably the latter.

Not that I've ever heard of.  I think it would be hard to sell enough tickets to something like that to cover the costs involved.

One of the benefits of these kinds of concerts is you can get the general public interested and have them in larger venues.

I couldn't believe how many people were at the Star Trek Into Darkness concert I went to in Philadelphia!

I went to the first one in London, and it was packed. (Not to mention one of the most spine-tingling live music experiences I've ever been to)

I did not feel compelled to see STID. Neither the score nor film came close to the first imo.

I've seen both Giacchino's Treks live and both were brilliant. There's many individual moments to anticipate and enjoy live. Like hearing the piano and the building theme for Khan was wonderful, as was the Spock/Khan fight when Giacchino fights their themes against each other. And the brass of Nero's Theme is one of the most enjoyably powerful themes to fill a concert hall.

7 hours ago, ymenard said:

Has there been any kind of live-to-projection where you have no SFX or dialogue?  Dialogue are subtitled and you only hear the orchestra?

Isn't that how they did the LOTR stuff at Radio City?  Not totally muted, but the actual film sound was turned way down and everything was subtitled. 

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Isn't that how they did the LOTR stuff at Radio City?  Not totally muted, but the actual film sound was turned way down and everything was subtitled. 

Nope. Normal audio levels.

And the films are always subtitled at these concerts. Why, I dunno. Do deaf people go to film concerts?

13 hours ago, ymenard said:

Has there been any kind of live-to-projection where you have no SFX or dialogue?  Dialogue are subtitled and you only hear the orchestra?

The Two Towers concert I attended in Antwerp last December had an alternate mix. All dialogue was clear, but the sound effects seemed to fade in and out. The breach of the outer wall was as loud as ever, but a lot of the other sounds - including a lot of the fighting - was turned way down. There were a few punches without sound in that presentation. It almost sounded like they were adjusting the SFX stem by hand as the film went on.

You said:

14 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Not totally muted, but the actual film sound was turned way down and everything was subtitled. 

Everything was subtitled, yes, absolutely, no question.

But the "actual film sound turned way down"?  No, definitely not.  I was there too, and I remember hearing all the dialogue just fine.  Was the sound effects bed lowered?  Possible, I cannot recall.  But if it was, it was certainly not "WAY" down, just lower than its theatrical mix.

For these type of concerts, a specific pre-mixed track of just dialogue and fx is prepared of course, but when it comes to actual performance, there's a quite a bit of live mixing involved, i.e. some levels are being adjusted live by a mixer depending on the hall acoustics, size of the venue, etc. That's why how the overall thing sounds might change quite a lot depending on the venue you're seeing the concert.

Given these are mainly "musical" events, the tendency is to have dialogue and fx (especially the latter) at lower levels than you'd hear in a movie theater or in the actual film mix (that's why they subtitle the whole film), hence the orchestra is usually much more prominent.

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

Given these are mainly "musical" events, the tendency is to have dialogue and fx (especially the latter) at lower levels than you'd hear in a movie theater or in the actual film mix (that's why they subtitle the whole film), hence the orchestra is usually much more prominent.

I wish this was always true in every venue, as one would expect to hear the orchestra, otherwise would pay for a common cinema ticket. My father went to Gladiator here in Santiago, and the dialogue and sound effects mix was so loud, he could barely hear the orchestra at times. Outrageous!

This happens because Chilean producers always try to do things on the cheap side, and usually hire poorly trained and inexperienced people to handle the sound. If any Williams score live to picture comes to Santiago, I'll pray for someone competent enough in charge.

19 hours ago, Stefancos said:

What?

In the film the music is interrupted by the various expressions of amazement of the actors..oooh,ahh, I can't believe it (with volume dips in the music)... They should have played the music only and just make the actor stare and not say anything

this stands to this day as my most ruined JW moment