John Williams' Film Night, Boston, May 12 & 13 2016

Andrej

Sounded just like the CD.  Only difference I noticed was the extension of Finn's Theme

Thanks for these write-ups, Jay! Sounds like a great concert. Definitely going to listen to that broadcast this Saturday.

So did you record all of Williams' interludes? Can you upload the audio? :D Love all those comments, and it does sound like he's ready for 8, the fact that he kept jumping back to talking about Rey is hilarious. His "I don't know if I can" hesitation may simply be him being cautious about making promises ("I'll try!")

Yea, I think that he might be in the phase of his career where he doesn't really commit to anything until right before he has to begin working on it, but barring any health or random other concerns, it sure seems to me like he's doing it!

It's similar to his comment on the Bluray featurette, where he amusingly conceded he doesn't "know how many more of these I can do!"

I think he's just being realistic about his health and doesn't see the logic in committing to projects a year in advance (especially considering what happened to him while writing TFA). None of his comments about VIII strike me as JW being disinterested in writing Star Wars music any longer; rather, trepidation about whether he will be capable of writing the huge volume of complex, symphonic music these films require. Judging by the write-ups of this concert though, he's lost no spring in his step, so it's a great sign of things to come! He certainly seems to be thinking about what to write next for Rey and Luke.

I'm glad Luke and Leia is still fresh in his mind, such an elegant and stately theme that was sadly underused in ROTJ. Hopefully the theme will re-appear in VIII if there's a reunion between brother and sister.

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'm glad Luke and Leia is still fresh in his mind, such an elegant and stately theme that was sadly underused in ROTJ. Hopefully the theme will re-appear in VIII if there's a reunion between brother and sister.

This was my #1 takeaway from the report! Even before all this speculation on if he'll do the next movie based on his recent comments, I was wondering if he even remembered Luke and Leia. I was a bit surprised when it was completely absent from Revenge of the Sith. It seemed like the perfect opportunity to bring it back but Williams was solely focused on Leia's theme.

I think this bit more than anything else proves he's emotionally invested in this new movie and already scoring in his head. December 2017 isn't exactly around the corner so there's still a lot of time, and it makes sense that he wouldn't want to commit, but I would be surprised if he wasn't back for Episode VIII (and profoundly disappointed, considering how rich and inspired TFA's score was) but hey, whatchugonnado? Gotta wait with bated breath.

Yea, I mean he practically tells us he's already coming up with new music for Rey in his head, so it seems pretty clear to me at this point he wants to do it!

Maybe he just wants to meet with Rian Johnson and/or see a rough cut of the film before signing on the dotted line, and that won't happen till Rian flies to the US for post-production I imagine.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Williams stated both Luke and Leia's themes during the end of ROTS.

But not "Luke and Leia". Which makes sense, since that theme represents a stage in their relationship that was not reached up until ROTJ

I think they mean at the beginning of "Girl With the Staff". I still don't buy that, I hear the similarity but I think it's about as intentional as Cinque's Theme to Battle of the Heroes, and only slightly more relevant.

Hey thanks

Think you'll come to Boston next year if he keeps doing the shows?

23 hours ago, Jay said:

Think you'll come to Boston next year if he keeps doing the shows?

That plan is in the back of my mind!  This second-half conducting suits him a bit better nowadays, so if he can do at least that then I'm on board for maybe one more.

Cool!

And I likewise would considering traveling to Philly next year to see him conduct in another place (so far I've seen him conduct at Symphony Hall, Tanglewood, and Hollywood Bowl) - of course, he doesn't do any city annually like he does Boston and LA so who knows when Philly could happen again.

Just now, Jay said:

Good job!

(Why would you watermark your image with your screen name?)

Thanks!

As for the tagging, the internet can be a sketchy place.  Didn't want to risk any random person browsing the public forum stealing the picture for a fake ebay listing or something like that.

20 hours ago, JacksonElmore said:

is someone going to be able to record the airing of this on wgbh and upload it for download? I was there, and would love to be able to listen to it

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Will Saturday night's broadcast be available as a podcast or only live?

Typically it is available on-demand on the WGBH website. But there's no guarantee that will be the case this year, although it seems likely.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

...of course, he doesn't do any city annually like he does Boston and LA so who knows when Philly could happen again.

First time he was here since 2003, so, probably not in the cards.

On 19/05/2016 at 7:55 AM, Bill said:

Typically it is available on-demand on the WGBH website. But there's no guarantee that will be the case this year, although it seems likely.

Can anyone with recording software please record the broadcast, if at all possible? It's in the middle of the night in Australian time and I need to sleep! ?

Concerts are usually on demand but at a lower bitrate.

In Portugal it's also in the middle of the night, though that never stopped me of listening to it - despite having kids and work and so on... after so many of this, I guess the body just gets used to sleep privation :P

3 hours ago, Mari said:

Here's a new interview posted on the WGBH website and is also available on Soundcloud (The first 21 minutes contain the JW section):

Some items covered: Daisy Ridley, Daisy Ridley, Daisy Ridley, Anthony Hopkins, Jerry Goldsmith

Fixed.

His comment about his father was rather interesting.

A new Williams interview, a new word learnt:

bucolic

adjective bu·col·ic \byü-ˈkä-lik\

Simple Definition of bucolic

• : of or relating to the country or country life

Are you an illiterate? Read some Vergil! Tityre tu patulae recubans ...

;)

1 hour ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Concerts are usually on demand but at a lower bitrate.

In Portugal it's also in the middle of the night, though that never stopped me of listening to it - despite having kids and work and so on... after so many of this, I guess the body just gets used to sleep privation :P

The concert's broadcast is due 2 AM our time, right?

1 hour ago, Jilal said:

Are you an illiterate? Read some Vergil! Tityre tu patulae recubans ...

;)

The concert's broadcast is due 2 AM our time, right?

1 AM Lisbon time...