John Williams' Film Night, Boston, May 12 & 13 2016

Andrej

On 22/05/2016 at 3:30 AM, Jay said:

Wasn't a picture of the program posted a few pages back? If not I can post pics.

I'm very inclined to believe that this was in fact the Boston Pops Esplanade Orchestra. During the broadcast a few members were mentioned and they do not belong to the Boston Pops roster, but rather to the regular Esplanade one. Probably they went with the Boston Pops Orchestra denomination for marketing purposes, as after all, this was the Pops regular season. As I mentioned before the Boston Symphony was on tour in Europe until the 12th, and the Boston Pops Orchestra is made of the BSO members.

For the record, the Boston Pops Esplanade Orchestra is an alternate orchestra made of freelance musicians of the Boston area, that plays at the Hatch Shell on the 4th of July concert and on other events -- they were the orchestra Williams took with him for the Statue of Liberty centennial. They also perform on tour and on off season event, like some Tanglewood concerts in late August or early September.

Sorry I keep forgetting to take a look at the booklet to see if it says anything when I am home!

2 hours ago, chinaismine said:

FYI, I checked my program and the orchestra is credited as the Boston Pops Esplanade Orchestra.

Thank you for checking. Odd thOrchestra.web sites of both the BSO and WCRB it's always listed as Boston Pops Orchestra.

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 6:48 PM, Jay said:

Actually, that's a curious thing we should figure out:  What the most recent piece of film music by another composer Williams has ever conducted.

During his years as Boston Pops music director (1980-1993) Williams included quite a bit of film music selections from his contemporaries, even though he surely gave more prominence to Golden Age selections and his own pieces. I remember concert programs featuring Goldsmith's Masada suite, John Barry's Out of Africa, Michel Legrand's Yentl and Henry Mancini's Victor Victoria. As for post-2000 scores, I don't have memory of any he conducted, except for the song from Horner's Troy already mentioned.

I wonder which composer's work post-2000 Williams would be most likely to conduct in a concert some day?  Giacchino?  Desplat?  Powell?  Tommy Newman?  Zimmer!?

I just listened to the WGBH recording of the concert last night and thought it was overall terrific. Williams seemed to be in good health and mood and his anecdotes already recounted in this thread were such good fun. Lockhart was equally fun and such a showman with his little anecdotes between the pieces. I wish we had such concerts around here as well. :) 

Just finished listening to the concert streaming.

Great concert!

I found that some Star Wars cues where played a little more slowly than the versions I'm used to listen.  Noticed a few transitions problems due to this change of tempo, but nothing serious or exceptional.

I heard a new melody in Luke and Leia, but that's surely a thing due to the balance of the live recording.

So, to those who attended the concert, how was MOTR live?  I did not really appreciate DOTF until hearing it in concert (I liked it, but that was it).  I imagine the March, which is good in any form, is qualitatively more powerful live. 

I loved it, totally rousing, seemed faster and more in your face than the CD version