E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL - Live to Projection Concerts

TownerFan

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Woj said:

I had a lot of fun in San Francisco. I'd love to go back. It got pretty chilly in July, so I'm sure March is what you'd expect. 

Ideally we would have gone to San Fran in the summer sometime, but the trip is based around a conference my wife is going to in San Diego.  We'll be fine; We honeymooned in the cold, rain, and snow of Iceland in September!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice interview with Stéphane Denève, who is conducting the Philadelphia Orchestra this week in E.T. live to projection:

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/david_patrick_stearns/20161013_ET_with_Philadelphia_Orchestra_live__Will_it_be_out_of_this_world_.html

"I had a chance to visit John in his home, where he showed me the cue sheets for the score . . . and it had written descriptions, almost second by second, like, 'E.T. turns to Elliott.' 'Elliott turns back to E.T.,'" says Denève. "It's fascinating how he could signal a change with just a little harmonic or rhythmic change."

Latest dates

OCTOBER 2016

16OCTE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Lucerne, Switzerland 11:00 am Konzertsaal LuzernOrchestra: 21st Century Symphony Orchestra

16OCTE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Philadelphia, PA 2:00 pm Verizon HallOrchestra: Philadelphia Orchestra

28OCTE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Minneapolis, MN 8:00 pm Orchestra HallOrchestra: Minnesota Orchestra

29OCTE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Minneapolis, MN 2:00 pm Orchestra HallOrchestra: Minnesota Orchestra

NOVEMBER 2016

4NOVE.T.city: Grand Rapids, Michigan 8:00 pm DeVos Performance HallOrchestra: Grand Rapids Symphony

5NOVE.T.city: Grand Rapids, Michigan 8:00 pm DeVos Performance HallOrchestra: Grand Rapids Symphony

6NOVE.T.city: Grand Rapids, Michigan 3:00 pm DeVos Performance HallOrchestra: Grand Rapids Symphony

25NOVE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Washington, DC 8:00 pm Kennedy CenterOrchestra: National Symphony

25NOVE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Chicago, IL 8:00 pm Symphony CenterOrchestra: Chicago Symphony Orchestra

26NOVE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Washington, DC 2:00 pm Kennedy CenterOrchestra: National Symphony

26NOVE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Chicago, IL 8:00 pm Symphony CenterOrchestra: Chicago Symphony Orchestra

26NOVE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Washington, DC 8:00 pm Kennedy CenterOrchestra: National Symphony

27NOVE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Chicago, Illinois 3:00 pm Symphony CenterOrchestra: Chicago Symphony

DECEMBER 2016

11DECE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Winnipeg, MB 2:00 pm Centennial Concert HallOrchestra: Winnipeg Symphony

11DECE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Winnipeg, MB 8:00 pm Centennial Concert HallOrchestra: Winnipeg Symphony

28DECE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: London, UK 2:00 pm Royal Albert HallOrchestra: Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra

28DECE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: London, UK 7:00 pm Royal Albert HallOrchestra: Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra

29DECE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Toronto, ON 7:30 pm Sony CentreOrchestra: Motion Picture Symphony Orchestra

29DECE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Madrid, Spain 8:00 pm Teatro de la ZarzuelaOrchestra: Barbieri Symphony Orchestra

30DECE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Toronto, ON 7:30 pm Sony CentreOrchestra: Motion Picture Symphony Orchestra

30DECE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Madrid, Spain 8:00 pm Teatro de la ZarzuelaOrchestra: Barbieri Symphony Orchestra

JANUARY 2017

2JANE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Liverpool, UK 2:00 pm Liverpool Philharmonic HallOrchestra: Royal Liverpool Philharmonic

2JANE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Liverpool, UK 7:00 pm Liverpool Philharmonic HallOrchestra: Royal Liverpool Philharmonic

20JANE.T.city: New Orleans, LA 7:30 pm Orpheum TheaterOrchestra: Louisiana Philharmonic

21JANE.T.city: New Orleans, LA 7:30 pm Orpheum TheaterOrchestra: Louisiana Philharmonic

22JANE.T.city: New Orleans, LA 2:30 pm Orpheum TheaterOrchestra: Louisiana Philharmonic

FEBRUARY 2017

3FEBE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Kansas City, MO 8:00 pm Kauffman CenterOrchestra: Kansas City Symphony

4FEBE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Kansas City, MO 8:00 pm Kauffman CenterOrchestra: Kansas City Symphony

5FEBE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Kansas City, MO 2:00 pm Kauffman CenterOrchestra: Kansas City Symphony

MARCH 2017

2MARE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Portland, OR 7:30 pm Arlene Schnitzer Concert HallOrchestra: Oregon Symphony

APRIL 2017

27APRE.T.city: Denver, Colorado 7:30 pm Boettcher Concert HallOrchestra: Colorado Symphony

MAY 2017

10MAYE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Vancouver, BC 7:30 pm Orpheum TheatreOrchestra: Vancouver Symphony

11MAYE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Vancouver, BC 7:30 pm Orpheum TheatreOrchestra: Vancouver Symphony

12MAYE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: New York, NY 7:00 pm David Geffen HallOrchestra: New York Philharmonic

13MAYE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: New York, NY 1:00 pm David Geffen HallOrchestra: New York Philharmonic

13MAYE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: New York, NY 7:00 pm David Geffen HallOrchestra: New York Philharmonic

18MAYE.T.city: Baltimore, MD 8:00 pm StrathmoreOrchestra: Baltimore Symphony

19MAYE.T.city: Baltimore, MD 8:00 pm Meyerhoff Symphony HallOrchestra: Baltimore Symphony

20MAYE.T.city: Baltimore, MD 3:00 pm Meyerhoff Symphony HallOrchestra: Baltimore Symphony

20MAYE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Baton Rouge, LA 7:30 pm Baton Rouge River Center TheatreOrchestra: Baton Rouge Symphony Orchestra

20MAYE.T.city: Baltimore, MD 8:00 pm Meyerhoff Symphony HallOrchestra: Baltimore Symphony

SHOW MORE EVENTS

JUNE 2017

30JUNE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Nashville, TN 7:00 pm Schermerhorn Symphony CenterOrchestra: Nashville Symphony

Well, I saw this last night with my pops and it was fantastic!  Orchestra was perfect and well-balanced against the film, which is good since it didn't include subtitles like Harry Potter did.    Applause was warm and genuine at intermission and especially at the end.  Most of the time by the third re-entrance by the conductor, the audience clapping is mostly intermittent and thinned out, but not last night.  They were still going strong and if the orchestra didn't get up and leave the stage at that point they would have kept on going.

On 10/15/2016 at 2:29 PM, Nemesis said:

New music for intermission by JW!:

21CO_E.T._Generalprobe

Sweet!! Really cool. Thanks for letting us know.

So now we have both the first half closer and entr'acte for this concert -- although the entr'acte is in much worse quality. Whereas for the other concerts I don't believe we have either recorded. 

@king mark I know you like JW in bombastic mode. What do you think?

9 hours ago, king mark said:

sounds great. where's the entracte music

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26027-et-the-extra-terrestrial-live-to-projection-concerts/&do=findComment&comment=1169228

Did you really miss that the first time around?

He seems to really like the ET score, since he was willing to adapt it for the ET theme park attraction as well as coming out with that "Stargazers" arrangement a few years back

2 hours ago, Jay said:

He seems to really like the ET score, since he was willing to adapt it for the ET theme part attraction as well as coming out with that "Stargazers" arrangement a few years back

He actually prepared a whole 3 movement suite:

I. 3 Million Light Years from Home (c. 6min)
II. Stargazers (c. 5min)
III. Adventures on Earth (c. 9 min)

Adventures on Earth is of course the usual concert version.

The only performance I know of it was at Tanglewood in 2009.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Right but those 1st and 3rd movements were the same as what existed before right?

"Adventures on Earth" is the usual concert suite, while "Three Million Light Years" is the first cue (aka "The Forest") followed by "Abandoned and Pursued" as heard on the OST album, with a new extended coda added. Miguel is right, JW performed this suite just once at Tanglewood a few years ago.

These new pieces are fantastic; they fit right within the existing score and, to my ears anyway, sound like he wrote them 35 years ago! There's clearly a fondness for this score and all the leitmotifs he wrote.

Curious if others feel that some of Williams' modern writing sensibilities shine through in these pieces?

Enjoy some nonsense from an old fuddy duddy.

"Conversely, I found myself thinking that the Williams score itself would be worthless without the movie. Which is true of all movies, of course. Every film depends for its success on the synergy of script, acting, direction, and music, of which no one part would be viable by itself. Sitting alone in a dark movie theater, it’s easy to suspend disbelief for two hours and allow your psyche to be blissfully manipulated. Not so easy to watch a movie in a concert hall with a live orchestra.

What, then, was the point of this exercise? The answer, presumably, is to expose the orchestra and the Kimmel to potential new patrons. In this respect, last weekend’s E.T. concerts seem to have succeeded. At Saturday’s night’s performance the hall was nearly filled, yet I spotted not one of the regulars who normally attend orchestra concerts (surprisingly few kids, too). Whether these film groupies will be sufficiently uplifted to return remains to be seen. But a symphony orchestra struggling for solvency can’t be blamed for experimenting, occasionally, with a pop sensibility"

http://www.broadstreetreview.com/music/e.t.-meets-the-philadelphia-orchestra

On 17 Oct 2016 at 10:57 PM, Miguel Andrade said:

He actually prepared a whole 3 movement suite:

I. 3 Million Light Years from Home (c. 6min)
II. Stargazers (c. 5min)
III. Adventures on Earth (c. 9 min)

Adventures on Earth is of course the usual concert version.

The only performance I know of it was at Tanglewood in 2009.

Here's the first movement:

• 4 weeks later...

That new ending to "Abandoned and Pursued" is amazing. It reminds of, say, the AMBLIN Logo, NBC News bumpers or the Amazing Stories act break/fade-in, in that it's extremely brief, but in the span of those 10-15 seconds or whatever it is, Williams defines himself and says and does everything, musically, that other composers could only strive to be able to do with entire scores for films.

On 11/18/2016 at 9:58 AM, Selina Kyle said:

That new ending to "Abandoned and Pursued" is amazing. It reminds of, say, the AMBLIN Logo, NBC News bumpers or the Amazing Stories act break/fade-in, in that it's extremely brief, but in the span of those 10-15 seconds or whatever it is, Williams defines himself and says and does everything, musically, that other composers could only strive to be able to do with entire scores for films.

Huh? Are you really that impressed by this? (timestamped)

I mean, it's solid stuff, but nothing more. Are you talking about a different part of the piece?

14 minutes ago, Selina Kyle said:

Yeah, I think it's amazing. E.T. is my favorite score.

Well, I do think that the bombastic bit before it is amazing! I've had it running through my head all night. Or, actually, it has been switching back and forth with the super-similar Great Performances theme. 

19 hours ago, Foxfan said:

I'll be at the Chicago performance Saturday, November 26. Anyone else going?

I'm actually going to that one as well, funnily enough. 

About to leave for the Chicago Symphony performance!!!

"Adventures on Earth" is going to be spectacular. Probably better than anything in the Home Alone or Raiders concerts, and that's saying something!

Also, whereas with Home Alone and Raiders my favorite moments weren't necessarily at the very end of the film, this one works out perfectly -- I can anticipate the very best all the way until the final sequence!