E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL - Live to Projection Concerts

TownerFan

• 3 weeks later...

The habits of modern dumb movie goers aside... it was great! We’re lucky in Ireland to have two fantastic orchestras (paid for through our TV license). I hope the proposed cuts don’t come to fruition. They’re the only good thing associated with RTÉ. 

It’s one of Johnny’s best scores though. Beautiful and emotional. 

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

RTE orchestra did a really good job on The Return of the King in Dublin some years ago. Very much enjoyed that.

Karol

Yeah, that was the RTÉ Concert Orchestra who normally handle all the film music side of things but both concerts this week were the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra who normally look after the more high brow affairs. A nice experience but I think I prefer the CO there seems to be more “life” in their playing. As if they’re enjoying it more. Not that the NSO were bad players or anything!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Loved it! This is a score that is just perfect for this kind of a performance. In fact it might the single most fitting film ever created for such an occasion. And it is also fitting that it was the one to kick off the modern trend of those live to projection concerts.

My only complaint is that I didn't get to hear the film version of end credits. And that audience knows nothing about showing respect to musicians. But then, they clearly loved the film so the score did its job.

Karol

ET kicked off the modern trend of LTP concerts?  I think that would be Lord of the Rings that did that. 

E.T. was the first non-silent movie to ever get an LtP concert, for the premiere of the 20th anniversary special edition in 2002. It must have been quite an experience.

• 3 months later...
On 26.1.2018 at 5:26 PM, Jay said:

ET kicked off the modern trend of LTP concerts?  I think that would be Lord of the Rings that did that. 

The pioneer in live to picture concerts was Carl Davis conducting music for Chaplin films.

Yes, of course. Damn autocorrect! His recording of the music to City Lights is a classic. So is his theme for Pride and Prejudice.

12 minutes ago, Bespin said:

@Jurassic Shark Oh I thought it was me, in my basement, playing music casettes while projecting movies to my friends with my super Fisher-Price projector!

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « fisher price projector assettes »

Did you hum the music?

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yes, of course. Damn autocorrect! His recording of the music to City Lights is a classic.

Did you hum the music?

No I played music cassettes I recorded myself using LPs I had at the time!

Image associée

Unfortunately the dialogue and sound effects seemed even louder than it normally was in the movie,  and in some scenes where Elliot was talking/screaming you couldn't hear the music much. Or during the cue Losing E.T. with all the medics talking. The orchestra was playing loud too, so it felt like a duel between the 2.

That was my disappointment about the concert ,

But the score performance was excellent and did shine in the key moments like E.T.'s Halloween and  Adventures on Earth which was spectacular

They used THe Flying Theme concert version for the credits instead of the real End Credits music

I'm comparing to how low the dialogue and sound effects were in Harry Potter in Concerts , where they really let the  music take first place

Nice glad you had fun

I've seen ET and HP1 in concert and I think HP1 was more fun

Jaws was probably the most fun of all though

12 hours ago, King Mark said:

Unfortunately the dialogue and sound effects seemed even louder than it normally was in the movie,  and in some scenes where Elliot was talking/screaming you couldn't hear the music much. Or during the cue Losing E.T. with all the medics talking. The orchestra was playing loud too, so it felt like a duel between the 2.

That was my disappointment about the concert ,

But the score performance was excellent and did shine in the key moments like E.T.'s Halloween and  Adventures on Earth which was spectacular

They used THe Flying Theme concert version for the credits instead of the real End Credits music

I'm comparing to how low the dialogue and sound effects were in Harry Potter in Concerts , where they really let the  music take first place

The OSM is a great impressionism orchestra so this was a good match.  This was much more like going to the cinema with a real orchestra versus the HP in Concerts.  I still wish someday to have no dialogue or FX during those live movies, with subtitles only.

I don't agree. I think the guy mixing this thing didn't get the core concept of showing off the music score and just cranked up the volume of the dialogue until he could hear it over the orchestra loudly. Elliot's screeching voice was incredibly irritating at times

I had to remove my helmet because they didn't allow it inside the concert hall

oh yeah did anyone mention besides the new fanfare leading to the entracte, there is also a new piece similar to  "searching for E.T. " that opens the second part before the movie resumes

On 5/25/2018 at 12:12 AM, King Mark said:

oh yeah did anyone mention besides the new fanfare leading to the entracte, there is also a new piece similar to  "searching for E.T. " that opens the second part before the movie resumes

Not only has it been discussed, audio of it had been online for years, and you yourself have commented on it before

On 9/26/2015 at 9:48 AM, Jay said:

Here's a video of the new Entr'acte John Williams wrote!

What do you think?

On 10/16/2016 at 11:25 PM, King Mark said:

sounds great. where's the entracte music 

On 10/17/2016 at 8:52 AM, Jay said:
On 10/17/2016 at 2:24 PM, King Mark said:

yeah, I never expected Williams to write new music for this

• 1 month later...

Latest dates:

AUGUST 2018

DECEMBER 2018

JANUARY 2019

FEBRUARY 2019

MARCH 2019

MAY 2019

• 6 months later...

The National Symphony will be doing E.T. LTP on Friday August 2, 2019. I’ll definitely be going to this since I couldn’t make it to the Baltimore Symphony’s performance a couple years ago.

https://www.wolftrap.org/tickets/calendar/performance/19filene/0802show19.aspx

• 5 months later...

Multiple Pennsylvania options coming up

OCTOBER 2019

NOVEMBER 2019

DECEMBER 2019

FEBRUARY 2020

MARCH 2020

APRIL 2020

• 3 months later...

Seen this earlier at the Royal Albert Hall. Wow. Following that, both film and score have grown in my estimation. It could be the best John Williams film score. So important to the movie and so heartfelt. A great experience. The only one of these live to projection concerts I've seen that truly rivals the feels I got from watching this was the finale in Close Encounters. Truly brilliant, not to be missed if you get the chance.

et_rah.jpg

'I'll Be Right Here!'

I never get tired on seeing this marvellous film, and last nights film concert performance of E.T - the Extra Terrestrial at the Royal Albert Hall surpassed my expectations. The setting, the 1982 original release looked fresher than ever before from where I was seated front row. The orchestra (BBC Concert) were on top form and certainly played beautifully even arousing your emotions with those delicate pieces (my female friend couldn't hold back the tears, as was another behind me) but I didn't want the film to break momentum with that interval but alas it felt like a starvation, only wanting more! Certainly a soundtrack favourite of mine and a successful movie/concert-going experience that brought back after thoughts of so many memories!

I also attended the (afternoon) performance yesterday. This was my second time after the Southbank performance last year. It was excellent. Because the score is extremely well used in the film and sound effects never get in the way it makes the most perfect candidate for this kind of performance. One thing I don't like as much is that we don't get to hear the film version of end credits. The Flying piece would have been a great overture instead. But hey, it's a tiny gripe.

Karol

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...