Jump to content
TownerFan

E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL - Live to Projection Concerts

Recommended Posts

The habits of modern dumb movie goers aside... it was great! We’re lucky in Ireland to have two fantastic orchestras (paid for through our TV license). I hope the proposed cuts don’t come to fruition. They’re the only good thing associated with RTÉ. 

 

It’s one of Johnny’s best scores though. Beautiful and emotional. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

RTE orchestra did a really good job on The Return of the King in Dublin some years ago. Very much enjoyed that.

 

Karol

 

Yeah, that was the RTÉ Concert Orchestra who normally handle all the film music side of things but both concerts this week were the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra who normally look after the more high brow affairs. A nice experience but I think I prefer the CO there seems to be more “life” in their playing. As if they’re enjoying it more. Not that the NSO were bad players or anything!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved it! This is a score that is just perfect for this kind of a performance. In fact it might the single most fitting film ever created for such an occasion. And it is also fitting that it was the one to kick off the modern trend of those live to projection concerts.

 

My only complaint is that I didn't get to hear the film version of end credits. And that audience knows nothing about showing respect to musicians. But then, they clearly loved the film so the score did its job.

 

Karol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

E.T. was the first non-silent movie to ever get an LtP concert, for the premiere of the 20th anniversary special edition in 2002. It must have been quite an experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, of course. Damn autocorrect! His recording of the music to City Lights is a classic. So is his theme for Pride and Prejudice.

 

12 minutes ago, Bespin said:

@Jurassic Shark Oh I thought it was me, in my basement, playing music casettes while projecting movies to my friends with my super Fisher-Price projector!

 

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « fisher price projector assettes »
 

 

Did you hum the music?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yes, of course. Damn autocorrect! His recording of the music to City Lights is a classic.

 

 

Did you hum the music?

 

No I played music cassettes I recorded myself using LPs I had at the time!

 

Image associée

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately the dialogue and sound effects seemed even louder than it normally was in the movie,  and in some scenes where Elliot was talking/screaming you couldn't hear the music much. Or during the cue Losing E.T. with all the medics talking. The orchestra was playing loud too, so it felt like a duel between the 2.

That was my disappointment about the concert ,

 

 But the score performance was excellent and did shine in the key moments like E.T.'s Halloween and  Adventures on Earth which was spectacular

 

They used THe Flying Theme concert version for the credits instead of the real End Credits music

 

I'm comparing to how low the dialogue and sound effects were in Harry Potter in Concerts , where they really let the  music take first place

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, King Mark said:

Unfortunately the dialogue and sound effects seemed even louder than it normally was in the movie,  and in some scenes where Elliot was talking/screaming you couldn't hear the music much. Or during the cue Losing E.T. with all the medics talking. The orchestra was playing loud too, so it felt like a duel between the 2.

That was my disappointment about the concert ,

 

 But the score performance was excellent and did shine in the key moments like E.T.'s Halloween and  Adventures on Earth which was spectacular

 

They used THe Flying Theme concert version for the credits instead of the real End Credits music

 

I'm comparing to how low the dialogue and sound effects were in Harry Potter in Concerts , where they really let the  music take first place

 

The OSM is a great impressionism orchestra so this was a good match.  This was much more like going to the cinema with a real orchestra versus the HP in Concerts.  I still wish someday to have no dialogue or FX during those live movies, with subtitles only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't agree. I think the guy mixing this thing didn't get the core concept of showing off the music score and just cranked up the volume of the dialogue until he could hear it over the orchestra loudly. Elliot's screeching voice was incredibly irritating at times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to remove my helmet because they didn't allow it inside the concert hall

 

oh yeah did anyone mention besides the new fanfare leading to the entracte, there is also a new piece similar to  "searching for E.T. " that opens the second part before the movie resumes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2018 at 12:12 AM, King Mark said:

oh yeah did anyone mention besides the new fanfare leading to the entracte, there is also a new piece similar to  "searching for E.T. " that opens the second part before the movie resumes

 

Not only has it been discussed, audio of it had been online for years, and you yourself have commented on it before

 

 

On 9/26/2015 at 9:48 AM, Jay said:

Here's a video of the new Entr'acte John Williams wrote!

 

What do you think?

 

On 10/16/2016 at 11:25 PM, King Mark said:

sounds great. where's the entracte music 

 

On 10/17/2016 at 8:52 AM, Jay said:
On 10/17/2016 at 2:24 PM, King Mark said:

yeah, I never expected Williams to write new music for this

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest dates:

 

AUGUST 2018

DECEMBER 2018

JANUARY 2019

FEBRUARY 2019

MARCH 2019

MAY 2019

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...