Are you sick of the glut of superhero films

JoeinAR

Are you getting tired of the seemingly endless number of superhero films  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Are you sick of all the superhero films

While I enjoy many, I have missed viewing many because they do not appeal to me. 

I want to see Batman vs Superman to see if it's a piece of garbage like Mos. I expect a train wreck. Deaths will be involved.

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I'm ready for a movie that will take itself more seriously, and take it's audience more seriously!

Watchmen was a long time ago now.

You mean TDK, right?

We need more Westerns!

Movie series was the wrong approach for this. A single unified tv show or several of them, maybe that. They could have runtime so as to not drown the thing into a structure that doesn't fit, and, because people are somehow able to tolerate tv shows for a much longer runtime that a series of movies without tiring (an interesting cognitive dissonance), the audiences would feel less fed up when they'd only reached a third of the whole thing... 

While the Marvel ones are mostly quite fun, they are also quite forgettable.

All the "dark superhero films" fill me with complete and utter disinterest; I don't even WANT to see those.

I've never been big on the whole "superhero" thing. Best superhero film is still The Incredibles.

Though Superman and the first Burton-Batman are quite fun.

The most recent one I really liked was Captain America.

Not really. All the blockbuster films are the same essentially. If it's not a giant asteroid or space opera then it must be about superheroes.

But I do enjoy fewer films in general, so-called auteur and blockbusters alike. Not sure why that is.

Karol

I loved the first two Nolan Batman films, and the first Iron Man was fun for what it was, but I haven't enjoyed any of the other Marvel films, and Man of Steel was a complete disaster on every front.  I'm looking forward to Suicide Squad, but that's the only upcoming DC or Marvel movie I have any interest in seeing.

I'm coming to realize that I go to the movies for one singular reason... to be entertained.  I grew up with Mego figures and Power Records and Treasury Edition comic books.  If those don't ring a bell with you, google them, and you'll see why my palette leans toward light and fun entertainment.  Guardians of the Galaxy didn't take itself too seriously, and it wasn't about taking its audience more seriously.  It was about delighting its audience with fun, memorable characters, and some thrilling and colorful sequences.

I guess you could say I was 'seriously' entertained. 

Same could be said with Ant-Man, for example.  These films are sourced from.... comic books.  How serious need they be?

I also don't think it's fair to just lump every movie from the genre together.  Even all the Marvel films have their own flavors.  Captain America the First Avenger is quite different than Winter Soldier, isn't it?  And the Thor Movies are more fantasy than the more conventional "superheroey" Iron Man films.  I have some I like better than others, but I think each film deserves to be taken on its own terms, even if they are connected.

I guess I can understand that some people are tired of a particular genre, and to them I say, vote with your dollar.  Life is too short to waste time on films you're sick of.

Me?  I'm grateful I grew up when I did, with optimistic heroes to look up to as a child, and now as an adult to live in a world where we get to see these guys come to life with fantastic visuals and breathtaking action.  It's pretty nifty, I think.  I sort of feel sorry for people who seem to love film, yet always be disappointed with it.  Maybe the answer is to create your own stories, rather than rely on others to hit the sweet spot in your brain. 

They don't interest me. They all look the same. They put me to sleep or make me turn them off if I watch them. I'm only interested in the new interpretation of Batman because I like that character.

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

Not really. All the blockbuster films are the same essentially. If it's not a giant asteroid or space opera then it must be about superheroes.

But I do enjoy fewer films in general, so-called auteur and blockbusters alike. Not sure why that is.

Karol

I know what you mean. Still, I see a vast difference between Jaws and Twilight. 

On the subject of films we're sick of, nothing comes even close to that "dark, gritty, realistic" crap.

I got sick of that basically as soon as it started and it is probably one of the main reasons why there are very few modern day films that actually truly excite me.

How much longer before "they" stop making those and remember again that it helps if entertainment is actually, you know, FUN?

2 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

On the subject of films we're sick of, nothing comes even close to that "dark, gritty, realistic" crap.

I got sick of that basically as soon as it started and it is probably one of the main reasons why there are very few modern day films that actually truly excite me.

How much longer before "they" stop making those and remember again that it helps if entertainment is actually, you know, FUN?

THIS.  I like escapism, but post 9-11, Hollywood shifted its tone.

2 hours ago, Brónach said:

My problem with that is that it's often NOT realistic. And that real life has humour in it.

True, that!

I remember watching "The Adventures of Robin Hood" a while back and being surprised how much "dark" stuff makes an appearance in that film (though mostly limited to the opening text).

Likewise, the old "Captain Horatio Hornblower, R.N." film has a lot of true realism, history and "dark stuff" referenced in it, while still being an upbeat adventure.

A film doesn't need to have a continuously dark and oppressive atmosphere and look in order to have that layer of gritty realism to it.

In fact, if everything seems overly dark, then the contrast is gone and with it goes any real impact that it might otherwise have had.

The real world can look beautiful, yet can still have dark things happening in it.

If you want to represent that in a film, you don't need to make the look of the world match with what happens in it.

I've seen film reviews that suggest people out there don't even know what the real world look like anymore.

There was one for the 1962 "Mutiny on the Bounty" that claimed that film looked fake because of it picture-perfect scenery.

But I have been in areas in the world quite similar to where that is set and it actually does look like that.

On the other end of the spectrum, for a film to be "upbeat escapist fun", it doesn't actually need to also be dumb.

The first three Indiana Jones films weren't. The first Star Wars films weren't. I don't think Jurassic Park was either. Even the first PotC film was quite clever.

But then it all goes downhill from there. Definitely the PotC films for sure because both darker as they went along, as well as more silly, insane, far-fetched and, yes, dumb.

The most fun films I remember watching last year were Jurassic World and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

But as much as I enjoyed Jurassic World, it was most certainly quite dumb and very silly.

While The Force Awakens on my first viewing seemed like "Playing it Safe: The Movie".

Both went completely overboard with references and, in the case of Jurassic World, making fun of itself.

That is definitely better than that "dark gritty realism" business.

But where did the movies go that actually strike a sensible balance somewhere inbetween?

On 1/22/2016 at 2:11 PM, Mr. Big said:

Yes.  I long for the day when this genre crashes and burns.  Though the inevitable nostalgic superhero film revivals of the 2040's will be hard to stomach.

Yes! Absolutely yes. I've been sick of it for too long. 

I guess K.K. means that he sometimes feels the whole world is Disney-fying. If we remember The Law Of crocodile, we realize there isn't much difference between Star Wars of Marvel. Maybe there simply isn't that much to choose from ...

Alex

13 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Why?

There are plenty of non Superhero films coming out for you to enjoy? Who's forcing you to watch them or even pay attention to them?

He's right. All the bitching and eye-rolling and when the next one comes along, bamm, everyone here has seen it.

I have never been a fan of the marvel cinematic experiment. I find them to often be badly paced and badly shot disavowing any genuine and lasting payoff in the end. I have never thought comic books translate to film very well. Especially marvel. I just can't take at least half of their characters seriously. Whether it be the frost Giants in Thor or half the cast from the avengers.  I somewhat enjoyed Nolans dark night series. I preferred Burton. The original superman is saved by its score. 

I do think if the marvel universe had better scores it would help. I can't recall a memorable theme from any of them. I have always thought, as an exorcise, if someone were to remove Captain America's score and replace it with Goldsmiths score from the shadow it might be watchable.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

He's right. All the bitching and eye-rolling and when the next one comes along, bamm, everyone here has seen it.

I always wonder if they're taking the budget and release date of something more interesting that could be done instead, or if they wouldn't have made anything interesting in particular if they didn't do those ones.

21 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

A film doesn't need to have a continuously dark and oppressive atmosphere and look in order to have that layer of gritty realism to it.

In fact, if everything seems overly dark, then the contrast is gone and with it goes any real impact that it might otherwise have had.

This is an important thing that people sometimes forget. 

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I guess K.K. means that he sometimes feels the whole world is Disney-fying. If we remember The Law Of crocodile, we realize there isn't much difference between Star Wars of Marvel. Maybe there simply isn't that much to choose from ...

Alex

Basically. It limits my choices in the industry.

4 hours ago, publicist said:

Maybe. But the last one I saw was Avengers 2, out of curiosity. The next one I'll see will be the 2 DC ones, again for the same reason, and the appear to offer something different.

But never understood how pages and pages of discussion pile up on such shallow films. Don't think I'll really be checking any of the TV stuff either. But its a shame that those are the only kind of shows my friends can have a conversation about.