Lidice by Martinu

Joni Wiljami

I just played Bohuslav Martinu's Lidice (with Helsinki Phil) and realized it sounded little bit like John's Saving Private Ryan. Does anyone have any information if it was used as a temp track or somekind of  musical/stylistic guidance? I have played this piece before and had the same feeling. The piece is about the bombed city Lidice after all. Sorry if this has been already discussed...

https://youtu.be/R9wIFUoIX_s

At 1:30  and later that distant sord trumpet...

Hmmm interesting notion Pasi. After listening to the piece I do not hear that much connection with SPR besides the sombre mood, which is actually more restrained that Martinu's. That passage you mention starting aroud 1:30 is indeed the closest in some of the SPR score but if anything I was more reminded of the elegiac string writing style of Vaughan Williams.

It is a beautiful piece. First time I have heard it. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. :)

I don't think Williams was referring to Memorial to Lidice but rather both Williams and Martinu were referring to the brass band with its long association to military and elegies...bugle in taps, etc., and somber brass chorals.  You find this style very common, like this for instance:

So both Martinu and JW are using stylistic association.  I think SPR is more Copeland Americana mixed with brass elegies filtered by way of the British brass bands.

11 hours ago, karelm said:

I don't think Williams was referring to Memorial to Lidice but rather both Williams and Martinu were referring to the brass band with its long association to military and elegies...bugle in taps, etc., and somber brass chorals.  You find this style very common, like this for instance:

So both Martinu and JW are using stylistic association.  I think SPR is more Copeland Americana mixed with brass elegies filtered by way of the British brass bands.

Quite. Allusion or stylistic association as I like to call it. It is the bread and butter of film composers.