Home alone 2 disk anniversary edition any good?

Jwfan2234

That depends on what you're looking for out of a Home Alone score album.

The OST is John Williams' presentation of the score, featuring all of the main highlights.  It is a quick listen.  For some people, this is enough.

The 2-disc expanded edition includes a LOT of music.  It has the complete score.  It has a selection of WIlliams-arranged carols (traditional carols mixed with his new carols for the movie) that are arranged in a really pleasing Christmassy way.  It has very few alternates, which helps keep it from getting repetitive (one of my bigger problems with expanded releases).  It also INCLUDES the OST on disc 2, so it has the best of both worlds.  The sound quality is top-notch - while you may not have found yourself wanting on the OST, this is noticeably clearer even for a layperson like me.

Personally, I'd recommend the 2-disc release.  If you want a budget-friendly release that really contains all of the essential music, the OST is good enough.

We also have an entire 6 page thread of people discussing the release you can parse through

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25808-home-alone-new-2cd-complete-25th-anniversary-edition-from-la-la-land

I prefer this shorter thread version! ;)

I was actually curious about the same thing as the topic starter. I've had the old HOME ALONE album on CBS since the 90s, and have always been pleased with that. Just perfect, and I have no intention of replacing it! But in December, I received a (digital) promo of the new expansion, which is still on my hard drive. I've been meaning to go through it (and I've tried), but it's rather stressful. I feel it ruins my experience of the score. Still, if there is a MUST-HAVE track or two here that I could easily insert into the existing CBS program, I'm all ears. You know, like "The Big Rescue" from SUPERMAN. As such, I would be curious to hear your recommendations of such tracks (and yes, I'm well aware I can listen for myself and make up my own mind).

(I also have a digital promo of the A.I. expansion, and have the exact same issue there).

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I prefer this shorter thread version! ;)

I was actually curious about the same thing as the topic starter. I've had the old HOME ALONE album on CBS since the 90s, and have always been pleased with that. Just perfect, and I have no intention of replacing it! But in December, I received a (digital) promo of the new expansion, which is still on my hard drive. I've been meaning to go through it (and I've tried), but it's rather stressful. I feel it ruins my experience of the score. Still, if there is a MUST-HAVE track or two here that I could easily insert into the existing CBS program, I'm all ears. You know, like "The Big Rescue" from SUPERMAN. As such, I would be curious to hear your recommendations of such tracks (and yes, I'm well aware I can listen for myself and make up my own mind).

(I also have a digital promo of the A.I. expansion, and have the exact same issue there).

I would recommend listening to tracks 28-35 of disc 1, at any rate - the Christmas carol selection orchestrated by Williams.  Not as part of the Home Alone program, but as a 20-min program of its own.  Might want to hold onto that one until December, though.