Jerry Goldsmith's best

natedog

Hello people,

one composer i haven't really listened to or found their music particularly accessible is Jerry Goldsmith. Can people recommend the best tracks or individual pieces (not whole scores). Can be action music or just great pieces of music. I kind of want to put together a Goldsmith greatest hits playlist together.

Thanks

1) Congo - Gates of Zinj

2) The Ghost and the Darkness - Theme from Ghost and the Darkness

3) The Mummy - Imhotep

4) Supergirl - Ouverture

5) First Knight - Never Surrender

6) Rudy - Main Title

7) The 13th Warrior - Old Bagdad

8) The Mummy - Tuareg Attack

9) King Solomon's Mines - No Diamonds

10) Universal Studios Logo Music

Star Trek: The Motion Picture: The Enterprise

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier: The Mountain

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier: A Busy Man

Star Trek: Voyager Theme

Star Trek: First Contact: Main Title

Star Trek: First Contact: First Contact

Star Trek: Insurrection: End Credits

Star Trek: Nemesis: Odds and Ends

Star Trek: Nemesis: Final Flight

Logan's Run- Theme

Logan's Run- The Monument

Air Force One- Hijacking

Star Trek V- Pick It Up

Star Trek V- Without Help

Star Trek V- Cosmic Thoughts

Star Trek TMP- The Cloud

Star Trek Insurrection- Prepare the Ship

Star Trek Nemesis- The Scorpion

Patton- German March/Winter March

Tora! Tora! Tora!- Final Message

just to mix it up a bit.

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

People, look at the man's avatar! Give him 'Poltergeist', 'Secret of NIMH', 'Final Conflict', 'Night Crossing' and maybe 'First Knight' and be done with it.

hqdefault.jpg

'And i think all of you fuckers suck for always giving awards to the most simplistic, least challenging fluff but because i want you to like me, i will now write the theme from RUDY'

I do love a Goldsmith thread, though.  At the risk of sounding like a JWFan hipster, he was a more significant early musical presence in my life than Williams was.  On a lot of days, I prefer his style of magic. 

Be sure not to miss 3:29 of V'Ger Flyover for one of the best chords in film scoring.

I think most film music fans can be divided in two camps: the rock-solids, who prefer their stuff more conservative (orchestral, built on classical forms etc.) and the paradise birds who usually early on find their joy in strange musical hybrids often impersonated by early Goldsmith (say up to mid-80's) and Morricone and the likes. Nothing hipsterish about it. I love Williams for certain things he has a brilliant hand for but he bores me stiff in other departments. Goldsmith could do the traditional orchestral stuff but often his partitures became most stale when he worked in those forms (the early 80's excepted, both men shone in that period).

With this in mind i just don't think it's a wise idea to recommend the more outlandish works to someone whose big idea of film music is E. T. and 'Star Wars'.

Being me, mine are pretty moody. Not music for a pump, but if you want to smoke some weed...

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - The Cloud

Planet of the Apes - The Search Continues

Capricon One - The Message

Patton - The Battleground

Outland - The Greenhouse

The Final Conflict - The Final Conflict

Chinatown - The Captive

Papillon - Gift from the Sea

20 hours ago, publicist said:

I think most film music fans can be divided in two camps: the rock-solids, who prefer their stuff more conservative (orchestral, built on classical forms etc.) and the paradise birds who usually early on find their joy in strange musical hybrids often impersonated by early Goldsmith (say up to mid-80's) and Morricone and the likes. Nothing hipsterish about it. I love Williams for certain things he has a brilliant hand for but he bores me stiff in other departments. Goldsmith could do the traditional orchestral stuff but often his partitures became most stale when he worked in those forms (the early 80's excepted, both men shone in that period).

With this in mind i just don't think it's a wise idea to recommend the more outlandish works to someone whose big idea of film music is E. T. and 'Star Wars'.

I'm sorry, Pub, but I have to chime in.

I don't hang around in this MB to confirm what I already know or to get pats on the back from other members in our shared loved and apreciation of a musical piece. This still is, no matter what, a great place for one to broaden his musical horizons, to get a new perspective on a familiar piece of music or to be introduced to totally different composers and musical aproaches. You, of all people, have proven to be invaluable in that regard and I greatly apreciate your longer posts reflecting on a given score or piece. 

I just don't think that somewhat condescending attitude towards a member who has shown interest in furthering his knowledge of Goldsmith's ouevre does him or this board any favors, just because he has an ET avatar. You speak of two camps, whereas you'll find plenty of people who stand on both (and there are quite few on this very MB) and often one leads to the other

We all need our entrie points, our introductions and, why not, some mentoring in broadening our musical horizons.

So by all means, please share your suggestions (I am, for one, quite curious about them) and please refrain from using the "this stuff is too good for you anyway" attitude. And this is coming from a member who truly treasures your contributions on this MB.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way

Point taken, but let's be honest with ourselves here: just because someone asks a very general question (with almost nothing aside his avatar to hang recommendations onto) and people respond with their usual assortment of bullet-point lists there is no furthering of any knowledge. Too much time here is devoted to just listing stuff and be done with it. 

For debate's sake a starting point like 'i hate fucking ALIEN noise' makes much more sense, because that would start a real discussion about merits and music history and what have you. I don't for a single second buy that someone who has, one must think, tried Goldsmith music and didn't like it suddenly starts listening to esoteric cues from 'Capricorn One' and thinks 'Heureka!'

In this case it is clear that the original poster asked for an anthology of what the composer is known for. That's why I came up with an accessible list. I think it's ok that people post their more outlandish personal tastes but maybe it would be good to explain them as such as to help the OP to get things into perspective.

People seems to gloss over Goldsmith's westerns when they're some of the best of the best in the genre; a brilliant mix of Morricone/Copland/Bernstein:

The Hanging from Bad Girls

Main Title & End Title from Take A Hard Ride

Main Title from 100 Rifles

Main Title from Lonely Are The Brave

(The score that made Bernard Herrmann declare "Your music is too good for this film!")

Main Title from Bandolero

Main Title from Hour of the Gun