Do you think JW should compose a symphony for Xylophones?

Manakin Skywalker

Post 21st century Willilliams sure does like to use a lot of xylophones! Would be interesting to hear all his famous themes played by a 100-piece orchestra consisting of only xylophones!

John Williams's Silly Symphonies!

But if my experience with the local xylophone playing street musician would be any indication I would be grinning at the silliness of a whole orchestra of xylophones performing a symphony. The clickity-clack of the instrument is so absurd it is bound to bring a smile on my face.

2 minutes ago, MikeTroxell said:

I have this app on my phone that makes fart noises, and I think John could really do something special with that.

If it is a smartphone the chances are he won't know how to use it. I hear he is unreconstructed techology-wise. Antediluvian one could say.

I am sorry to be the one to dash them man! I really am! But it is cold in the real world, where also John Williams lives. Such dreams are so easily crushed.

I don't know about xylophone specifically but I think JW could do wonders with a percussion focused concerto. I had super high hopes for his harp concerto but the supporting music ended up sounding very stilted and unfulfilled. The harp is featured nicely but also sounds more kinetic than melodic. 

Love me some xylophone. But no.

A broader "percussion" concerto, though? I'd love that. Williams has an unusual approach to writing percussion features that I never tire of. (See the sand people music in ANH, for instance, or some of the chess music in HPSS.)

8 hours ago, KK. said:

A Williams Timpani concerto would be fantastic, I would think.

The closest we got is that delightful duel between the Viola and the Timpani in his Viola Concerto, which is probably one my favorite movements in his concert works.

3 hours ago, Michael said:

The closest we got is that delightful duel between the Viola and the Timpani in his Viola Concerto, which is probably one my favorite movements in his concert works.

Good catch!

16 hours ago, KK. said:

A Williams Timpani concerto would be fantastic, I would think.

Indeed.

15 hours ago, artguy360 said:

And now I'm looking up Timpani Concertos on youtube. Philip Glass' one is pretty interesting.

That's a great one. Be sure to check out Michael Daugherty's Raise the Roof.