Is there a complete complete collection of John Williams music with everything ever written??

Jwfan2234

Nope.  There has actually, to my recollection, not been a significant John Williams box set of any kind (barring series sets like Star Wars and Indiana Jones).  A complete collection of 50+ busy years of film scores and concert works would involve labyrinthine legal/rights wrangling, and cost the buyer a fair chunk of change - thousands, most likely.

2 minutes ago, MikeTroxell said:

Nope.  There has actually, to my recollection, not been a significant John Williams box set of any kind (barring series sets like Star Wars and Indiana Jones).  A complete collection of 50+ busy years of film scores and concert works would involve labyrinthine legal/rights wrangling, and cost the buyer a fair chunk of change - thousands, most likely.

Indeed. Some of the releases for just a single movie can take years to clear and compile. Don't expect a box set like this to ever happen.

8 minutes ago, Jwfan2234 said:

Is there a Harry Potter complete set? 1-3 or 1-7 ?

When or if they do expand the Harry Potter scores (and there have been hints from LLL that it's a possibility), I'm sure they'll do it one by one.  A complete 2- or 3-disc score of one movie from the labels is $30+.  A 14-21 disc box set would price them right out of a lot of sales.

1 minute ago, Jwfan2234 said:

How do you afford all this music.? Is there a rewards site.?

I work, and I cut corners/save when I can with coupons, non-name-brands, etc.  My car is all paid off.  Most of my entertainment budget goes to music.  If those tips don't work, some places will pay you for donating blood and plasma ;)

My spouse just had a baby last month, so we're making further cuts (getting rid of cable/TV, no more eating out really, etc).  I'll likely have to revisit my music spending, but since I primarily focus on Elfman and Williams, I've had a few months without a release anyway.

I think the closest we've had in terms of career overviews are some of the multiple-CD compilations from Sony, Silva etc. I don't know of any composer who's had boxes of their complete discographies (or close to complete), unless they've done very little. But there have obviously been some composer boxes with lots of stuff -- Morricone, Cosma etc.

Besides, there's still a LOT of unreleased John Williams out there, especially if you count television scores.

Plus where is the fun in buying a huge expensive box of all the composer's works in one go when you can spend half of your life discovering his music while you expand your collection? ;)

There is a Indiana Jones boxset and a Star Wars boxset, that's all.

One day or another they will have to make a boxset to compile all the original soundtracks of John Williams. At least to allow new fans to get the hand on all his works easily.

Let's bet realistic, if a new fan in 2016 decides to start a JW collection... it' will be a nightmare... and some holes will never be filled.

So here's my proposal:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25057-complete-box-set-any-idea-for-a-john-williams-anthology/

4 minutes ago, Jwfan2234 said:

Was this a stupid question?. I just started collect soundtracks last year so everything I missed is expensive now.

That's difficult.  I've been building my "collection" piece-by-piece for over twenty years.  When you spread it out, it's fairly cheap.

My recommendation:  watch for used OST CDs on Amazon.  OSTs for film scores can often times be bought for a matter of cents (plus ~$4 shipping) - especially when there are other expanded editions out there.  It's a good way to familiarize yourself with a score, and if you love that score, you can always pay the aftermarket prices for an expansion eventually.

27 minutes ago, Jwfan2234 said:

How do you afford all this music.? Is there a rewards site.?

Most of the people here are adults with jobs that afford us some disposable income for this hobby of ours.

Also, we slowly built our collections over 5, 10, 20, 30+ years

For instance, re: scores you've been asking about around here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0000027BR/ref=sr_1_2_twi_mus_1_twi_aud_1_olp?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1454596840&sr=1-2&keywords=home+alone

You can get a good condition used copy of the Home Alone OST for less than a dollar, plus shipping.  So it comes out to less than $5.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B006TKH1HU/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1454596927&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000850IS6/ref=sr_1_1_twi_aud_2_olp?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1454596972&sr=1-1&keywords=revenge+of+the+sith

Or a good condition used copy of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith OSTs for less than $1.50 apiece, plus shipping.

Your best bet might be to start with compilations CDs; CDs that include a track or two from a bunch of different scores in one CD or multi-CD set.  Then you can seek out the individual release of the ones from that compilation you liked the best.

Here's a great place to start:

cover600x600.jpeg (600×600)

CD:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00002MZ4V

or if you are a digital guy:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/greatest-hits-1969-1999/id158330495

22 minutes ago, Jwfan2234 said:

That's a long list. Never be able to get all of those trying for the main ones. Plus elfman too. And maybe a little Han 

Don't be intimidated by some fans here. They all think because they have everything and because they builded their collection over the last 20-30 years, that anybody can easily start a new one in 2016.

That's not the case.

Your best choice for a "starter kit" is actually to find a torrent that contains pretty all... it exists... but all his content is not in really good quality.

So we need a boxset. JW deserves it !!!

7 minutes ago, Jwfan2234 said:

One day when he dies,

Na na na...

I participated in the creation of a 60 CD Anthology boxset of Aznavour in 2014 to celebrate his 90 birthday.

What a beautiful gift it was to show him this wonderful boxset. All his career (mostly) in front of his eyes.

There will never be a box set of all of John Williams' work.  And it has nothing to do with how much music there is; It's because each of his film scores is owned by the studio that released the film, and he's done films for all the different major film studios.  There's no way you'd ever get 6 or more major film studios to work together on a project like this.

22 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

There is no Williams-career box-set.  There is also no lack of dickishness on this board.  Way to be welcoming to a new fan, guys.

What?!There are perfectly friendly and informative posts on this thread that very clearly state the answer to the question posed by the first poster.

On 2/5/2016 at 10:19 PM, Bryant Burnette said:

There is no Williams-career box-set.  There is also no lack of dickishness on this board.  Way to be welcoming to a new fan, guys.

It's kind of funny considering all the unreleased and OOP music and how JWFanners scrounge up every last second they can from video games and other bizarre sources.

Though a complete release of his work for film is out of the question, I'm hoping for a complete box set of his concert work, containing top notch recordings and extensive liner notes. That would be great! And more feasible.

13 hours ago, Scarpia said:

Though a complete release of his work for film is out of the question, I'm hoping for a complete box set of his concert work, containing top notch recordings and extensive liner notes. That would be great! And more feasible.

Indeed. But I'd even settle for a CD of JUST his unreleased concert works. That could easily fill 2 CD's or more.

I'd just love to be able to listen to the complete Prequel scores in consistent quality, preferably a fresh remaster of the original recordings. Much of the video game material sounds rather muffled, unfortunately. I've attempted to EQ everything to ameliorate the listening expreience, but it's quite simply a job too demanding, at the moment.

Perhaps I'm too OCD, but I care about the sound quality of the music I listen to. Williams deserves better! :)

15 hours ago, Scarpia said:

Yes!