The 2015 IFMCA Awards (John Williams wins in three categories!)

crocodile

IFMCA Award Nominations 2015

INTERNATIONAL FILM MUSIC CRITICS ASSOCIATION AWARD NOMINATIONS ANNOUNCED; OCTOGENARIAN VETERANS JOHN WILLIAMS AND ENNIO MORRICONE LEAD THE FIELD, MULTIPLE NOMINATIONS FOR MICHAEL GIACCHINO, LATE JAMES HORNER

FEBRUARY 4, 2016. The International Film Music Critics Association (IFMCA) announces its list of nominees for excellence in musical scoring in 2015, for the 12th annual IFMCA Awards. The most nominated composers are industry veterans John Williams and Ennio Morricone, as well as Michael Giacchino, and the late James Horner.

83-year old John Williams receives four nominations, all for his score for the smash hit sci-fi adventure “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” directed by J. J. Abrams, which is nominated for Score of the Year, Best Fantasy/Science Fiction/Horror score, and Film Music Composition of the Year. Williams also receives a personal nomination as Composer of the Year. Williams has previously been nominated for 31 IFMCA Awards, winning on 12 occasions, including Score of the Year for “Memoirs of a Geisha” in 2005 and “War Horse” in 2011.

87-year old Italian legend Ennio Morricone receives four nominations; three for his score from director Quentin Tarantino’s dark western “The Hateful Eight,” which is recognized in the Score of the Year, Best Drama score, and Film Music Composition of the Year categories, and one for himself as Composer of the Year. Morricone has been nominated for IFMCA Awards on seven previous occasions; his last Score of the Year nomination was in 1999, for “La Leggenda del Pianista sull’Oceano [The Legend of 1900]”.

Michael Giacchino’s nominations are split between three works: the moving Disney-Pixar animated film “Inside Out,” which is nominated for Best Animation score; the ambitious science fiction epic “Jupiter Ascending,” which is nominated for Score of the Year and Best Fantasy/Science Fiction/Horror score; and the fantasy adventure “Tomorrowland,” which is nominated in the Film Music Composition of the Year category. Giacchino has previously been nominated for a total of 31 IFMCA Awards, winning twelve of them. He won the Best Score award in 2004 for “The Incredibles,” in 2009 for “Up,” and was named Composer of the Year in both those years.

James Horner, who was tragically killed in a plane crash this past June, receives three nominations for his score for the Chinese-language drama “Wolf Totem” directed by Jean-Jacques Annaud, which is recognized in the Score of the Year, Best Drama score, and Film Music Composition of the Year categories. Horner is also nominated as Composer of the Year, and in so doing becomes the first composer to be nominated in this category posthumously. Prior to this year, Horner’s lifetime IFMCA tally stood at 14 nominations, with one win, for “The Mask of Zorro,” in 1998.

The other nominee for Score of the Year is Patrick Doyle’s score for the romantic Disney fantasy “Cinderella,” while the other composer vying for the title of Composer of the Year is Daniel Pemberton, who wrote several outstanding scores in 2015, including the big-screen reboot of the 1960s spy thriller franchise “The Man from U.N.C.L.E.,” and “Steve Jobs,” a dramatic look at the inner workings of the Apple corporation across several decades.

Each year the IFMCA goes out of its way to recognize emerging talent in the film music world, and this year is no exception. The nominees in the Breakthrough Composer of the Year category include the alternative pop group Cat’s Eyes – comprising English musician Faris Badwan and Italian-Canadian soprano/composer/instrumentalist Rachel Zeffira – who wrote a dream-like score for the experimental British erotic film “The Duke of Burgundy”; British composer Gareth Coker, for his immensely popular score for the video game “Ori and the Blind Forest”; Swedish composer Ludwig Göransson, who brought the spirit of Rocky Balboa back to life with his score for the boxing drama “Creed”; Italian composer Maurizio Malagnini, whose scores for the British fantasy film “Peter and Wendy,” as well as the popular TV series “Call the Midwife,” caught the attention of the group; and Spanish composer Diego Navarro, whose score for the animated film “Atrapa la Bandera [Capture the Flag]” was a rousing celebration of the heroism of space exploration.

As it has in previous years, the IFMCA takes pride in honoring composers from across the film music world; this year’s international nominees include French composer Armand Amar for his score from the expansive documentary feature “Human,” Hungarian composer Robert Gulya for his charming music for the adventurous Mark Twain adaptation “Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn,” Argentine composer Federico Jusid for his superb work on the Spanish TV series “Carlos, Rey Emperador” (the sequel to the multi-IFMCA Award-winning “Isabel”), veteran French composer Michel Legrand for his delightful score for the comedy “La Rançon de la Gloire [The Price of Fame],” Spanish composer Fernando Velázquez for his chilling work on the beautiful gothic horror film “Crimson Peak,” and French-Lebanese composer Gabriel Yared for his score for the poetic and philosophical animated film “Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet”.

Several other composers are receiving their first ever IFMCA Award nominations this year, including Jessica Curry (“Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture,” Video Game), Bryce Dessner (“The Revenant,” Action/Adventure/Thriller), Darren Fung (“The Great Human Odyssey,” Documentary), Tom Holkenborg (“Mad Max: Fury Road,” Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Horror), Joshua Johnson (“I Am Big Bird: The Carroll Spinney Story,” Documentary), Joe Kraemer (“Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation,” Action/Adventure/Thriller), Matthew Margeson (“Kingsman: The Secret Service,” Action/Adventure/Thriller), Alva Noto (“The Revenant,” Action/Adventure/Thriller), and Ryuichi Sakamoto (“The Revenant,” Action/Adventure/Thriller).

The International Film Music Critics Association will announce the winners of the 12th IFMCA Awards on February 18, 2016.

#######################################

FILM SCORE OF THE YEAR

• Cinderella, music by Patrick Doyle
  • The Hateful Eight, music by Ennio Morricone
  • Jupiter Ascending, music by Michael Giacchino
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens, music by John Williams
  • Wolf Totem, music by James Horner

COMPOSER OF THE YEAR

• Michael Giacchino
  • James Horner
  • Ennio Morricone
  • Daniel Pemberton
  • John Williams

BREAKTHROUGH COMPOSER OF THE YEAR

• Cat’s Eyes (Faris Badwan and Rachel Zeffira)
  • Gareth Coker
  • Ludwig Göransson
  • Maurizio Malagnini
  • Diego Navarro

FILM MUSIC COMPOSITION OF THE YEAR

• “L’Ultima Diligenza di Red Rock” from The Hateful Eight, music by Ennio Morricone
  • “Brothers in Arms” from Mad Max: Fury Road, music by Tom Holkenborg
  • “The Jedi Steps and Finale” from Star Wars: The Force Awakens, music by John Williams
  • “Pin-Ultimate Experience” from Tomorrowland, music by Michael Giacchino
  • “Return to the Wild” from Wolf Totem, music by James Horner

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR A DRAMA FILM

• Carol, music by Carter Burwell
  • Creed, music by Ludwig Göransson
  • Far From the Madding Crowd, music by Craig Armstrong
  • The Hateful Eight, music by Ennio Morricone
  • Wolf Totem, music by James Horner

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR A COMEDY FILM

• Krampus, music by Douglas Pipes
  • The Lady in the Van, music by George Fenton
  • La Rançon de la Gloire [The Price of Fame], music by Michel Legrand
  • The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, music by Thomas Newman
  • Spy, music by Theodore Shapiro

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR AN ACTION/ADVENTURE/THRILLER FILM

• Kingsman: The Secret Service, music by Henry Jackman and Matthew Margeson
  • The Man from U.N.C.L.E., music by Daniel Pemberton
  • Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation, music by Joe Kraemer
  • The Revenant, music by Ryuichi Sakamoto, Alva Noto, and Bryce Dessner
  • Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, music by Robert Gulya

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR A FANTASY/SCIENCE FICTION/HORROR FILM

• Cinderella, music by Patrick Doyle
  • Crimson Peak, music by Fernando Velázquez
  • Jupiter Ascending, music by Michael Giacchino
  • Mad Max: Fury Road, music by Tom Holkenborg
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens, music by John Williams

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR AN ANIMATED FEATURE

• Atrapa la Bandera [Capture the Flag], music by Diego Navarro
  • Gamba, music by Benjamin Wallfisch
  • The Good Dinosaur, music by Mychael Danna and Jeff Danna
  • Inside Out, music by Michael Giacchino
  • Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet, music by Gabriel Yared

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR A DOCUMENTARY

• The Great Human Odyssey, music by Darren Fung
  • He Named Me Malala, music by Thomas Newman
  • Human, music by Armand Amar
  • The Hunt, music by Steven Price
  • I Am Big Bird: The Carroll Spinney Story, music by Joshua Johnson

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR A TELEVISION SERIES

• Carlos, Rey Emperador, music by Federico Jusid
  • Fargo, music by Jeff Russo
  • Outlander, music by Bear McCreary
  • Texas Rising, music by Bruce Broughton and John Debney
  • Wolf Hall, music by Debbie Wiseman

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR A VIDEO GAME OR INTERACTIVE MEDIA

• Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate, music by Austin Wintory
  • Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, music by Jessica Curry
  • Ori and the Blind Forest, music by Gareth Coker
  • Revelation, music by Neal Acree
  • Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth – Rising Tide, music by Geoff Knorr, Griffin Cohen, and Grant Kirkhope

BEST NEW ARCHIVAL RELEASE – RE-RELEASE OF AN EXISTING SCORE

• A.I.: Artificial Intelligence; music by John Williams, album produced by Mike Matessino, liner notes by Jeff Bond, album art direction by Jim Titus (La-La Land)
  • Braveheart; music by James Horner, album produced by Dan Goldwasser and Mike Matessino, liner notes by Jeff Bond, album art direction by Jim Titus (La-La Land)
  • Dances With Wolves; music by John Barry, album produced by Didier C. Deutsch, Mark G. Wilder, and Ford A. Thaxton, liner notes by Randall D. Larson, album art direction by Mark Banning (La-La Land)
  • Jaws; music by John Williams, album produced by Mike Matessino, liner notes by Scott Bettencourt, album art direction by Joe Sikoryak (Intrada)
  • Obsession; music by Bernard Herrmann, album produced by George Litto, Laurent Lafarge, and Cyril Durand-Roger, liner notes by Daniel Schweiger, album art direction by David Marques (Music Box)

BEST NEW ARCHIVAL RELEASE – RE-RECORDING OF AN EXISTING SCORE

• Back in Time: 1985 at the Movies; music by Various Artists, performed by the Varèse Sarabande Symphony Orchestra cond. David Newman, album produced by Robert Townson, liner notes by Robert Townson, album art direction by Robert Townson, Bill Pitzonka, and Matthew Joseph Peak (Varèse Sarabande)
  • Concert Suites/Music For Films; music by Fernando Velázquez, performed by the Euskadi Symphony Orchestra and Landarbaso Chorus cond. Fernando Velázquez, album produced by Fernando Velázquez and José M. Benitez, liner notes by Fernando Velázquez, Koldo Serra, Juan Antonio Bayona, and Oskar Santos, album art direction by Nacho B. Govantes (Quartet)
  • Obsession; music by Bernard Herrmann, performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra cond. Nic Raine, album produced by James Fitzpatrick, liner notes by Christopher Husted, album art direction by Matthew Wright and Damien Doherty (Tadlow)
  • Sodom and Gomorrah; music by Miklós Rózsa, performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra cond. Nic Raine, album produced by James Fitzpatrick, liner notes by Frank K. DeWald, album art direction by Matthew Wright, James Fitzpatrick and Ginko Digi (Tadlow/Prometheus)
  • The Music of Patrick Doyle for Solo Piano; music by Patrick Doyle, performed by Patrick Doyle, album produced by Patrick Doyle and Robert Townson, liner notes by Patrick Doyle, album art direction by Robert Townson and Bill Pitzonka (Varèse Sarabande)

BEST NEW ARCHIVAL RELEASE – COMPILATION

• Alan Silvestri: World Soundtrack Awards; music by Alan Silvestri, album produced by Sian Bolland and Reynold d’Silva, liner notes by Raf Butstraen, album art direction by Stuart Ford (Film Fest Gent/Silva Screen)
  • Double Indemnity: Film Noir at Paramount; music by Various Artists, album produced by Lukas Kendall, liner notes by Scott Bettencourt, album art direction by Joe Sikoryak (Intrada)
  • Lost in Space: 50th Anniversary Soundtrack Collection; music by Various Artists, album produced by Jeff Bond and Neil S. Bulk, liner notes by Jeff Bond, album art direction by Joe Sikoryak (La-La Land)
  • Mission: Impossible – The Television Scores; music by Various Artists, album produced by Jon Burlingame, liner notes by Jon Burlingame, album art direction by Joe Sikoryak (La-La Land)
  • Walt Disney Records: The Legacy Collection; music by Various Artists, album produced by Randy Thornton, liner notes by Various, album art direction by Lorelay Bové (Disney)

FILM MUSIC RECORD LABEL OF THE YEAR

• Intrada Records, Douglass Fake, Roger Feigelson
  • La-La Land Records, MV Gerhard, Matt Verboys
  • Quartet Records, José M. Benitez
  • Tadlow Music, James Fitzpatrick
  • Varése Sarabande, Robert Townson

#######################################

The International Film Music Critics Association (IFMCA) is an association of online, print and radio journalists who specialize in writing and broadcasting about original film, television and game music.

Since its inception the IFMCA has grown to comprise over 65 members from countries such as Australia, Belgium, Canada, Chile, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America.

Previous IFMCA Score of the Year Awards have been awarded to Hans Zimmer’s “Interstellar” in 2014, Abel Korzeniowski’s “Romeo & Juliet” in 2013, Mychael Danna’s “Life of Pi” in 2012, John Williams’s “War Horse” in 2011, John Powell’s “How to Train Your Dragon” in 2010, Michael Giacchino’s “Up” in 2009, Alexandre Desplat’s “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” in 2008, Dario Marianelli’s “Atonement” in 2007, James Newton Howard’s “Lady in the Water” in 2006, John Williams’s “Memoirs of a Geisha” in 2005 and Michael Giacchino’s “The Incredibles” in 2004.

For more information about the International Film Music Critics Association go to www.filmmusiccritics.org , visit our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter @ifmca, or contact us at press@filmmusiccritics.org.

Karol

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Cinderella gets a spot over Rogue Nation for score of the year? :(

Well, both are very solid scores. I'm sure it wasn't far behind.

Any score is eligible for that category, Steef. 

Karol

Cinderella has been getting a lot of attention lately. I only remember barely being able to stomach that score...

I too was surprised by the attention the Cinderella score was getting at the end of the year, start of this year, making all kinds of lists and nomations, etc.  Seemed like when it came out, people liked it, but it didn't make much of a splash really

The film made lots of money and the music is well mixed in it. It wasn't my personal favourite but I can see why other people like it so much.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I don't think Patrick Doyle is your type of composer anyway, right?

Karol

No, he's not really. Still, I didn't realize the reception to this score was so enthusiastic.

17 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Good. Second best score of the year. It's time Doyle got some recognition for it.

Agreed. CINDERELLA was one of the few "mainstream" scores to make it into my Top 10 this year (at 5th place, if memory serves). Superb score, Doyle at his best!

I'm very glad to see  “Pin-Ultimate Experience” get nominated. One of my favorite tracks from what was my favorite score of 2015 until Force Awakens came out. Tomorrowland yay!

11 hours ago, Quintus said:

One track to sell this Jupiter Ascending score to me. Which is it? 

Part Giacchino in not too shabby Barry mode, part wonderfully propulsive minimalist ostinato stuff (like As the Jurassic World Turns).

Giacchino really did have a banner 2015 didn't he? Jupiter and Tomorrowland are two of his best ever, Jurassic World had some great moments (esp. "As the Jurassic World Turns" of course), and say what you will about Inside Out as a standalone listening experience, in context it was beautiful.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Giacchino really did have a banner 2015 didn't he? Jupiter and Tomorrowland are two of his best ever, Jurassic World had some great moments (esp. "As the Jurassic World Turns" of course), and say what you will about Inside Out as a standalone listening experience, in context it was beautiful.

His strongest year yet, probably, and just when I had more or less given up on expecting something fresh from him. His scores still tend to seem too spread out in their full (album) length, but all of his entries for 2015 have strong highlights. And the way he manages to support a film with a few well timed modulations (e.g. Pin-Ultimate Experience, if I'm not mixing up the cues) is first rate.

Tomorrowland is one of his blandest scores yet!

Look to Jurassic World for superior Giacchino. Or perhaps more appropriately Inside Out, which is the kind of world in which he works best.

1 hour ago, KK. said:

Tomorrowland is one of his blandest scores yet!

Look to Jurassic World for superior Giacchino. Or perhaps more appropriately Inside Out, which is the kind of world in which he works best.

I don't know, if you combine the themes of Tomorrowland with the heart of Inside Out, underscore writing of Jurassic World and pure epic fun of Jupiter Ascending you have just about a perfect Giacchino score.

Karol

Meh. Tomorrowland has one decent theme and Jupiter Ascending has its moments, but it wore out for me pretty early on. Maybe I should check it out again.

I think it's rather weak but this one cue, 'Pin-Ultimate Experience' rises above the rest. I tried to watch the movie on a flight and it was messy and unwieldy so it wasn't a perfect musical playground anyway.

For me, 'JW' had the best spoil of solid score of the bunch. 

I will say this in favor of Giacchino, he has a very small ego, he essentially is always trying to serve the film.

In many cases (and I love this about Williams) Williams has written stuff simply because he can do it even if the film didn't need it. Williams is a preposterously talented composer who will compose great music whatever context you provide him. So his music can be a bit show-offy at times, more constructed as a musical exercise to hear on album than something applied with great harmony to a film.

Giacchino is much less talented and probably could not even compose something dazzling just for the sake of it. So he's more humble and film serving in a way so to say. His score always work very well in the films themselves. Same with Tomorrowland, the score works well in the film as is usual with his other films too.

14 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

In many cases (and I love this about Williams) Williams has written stuff simply because he can do it even if the film didn't need it. Williams is a preposterously talented composer who will compose great music whatever context you provide him. So his music can be a bit show-offy at times, more constructed as a musical exercise to hear on album than something applied with great harmony to a film.

List me 10 specific examples of Williams' ego!

4 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I will say this in favor of Giacchino, he has a very small ego, he essentially is always trying to serve the film.

Giacchino is much less talented and probably could not even compose something dazzling just for the sake of it. So he's more humble and film serving in a way so to say. His score always work very well in the films themselves. Same with Tomorrowland, the score works well in the film as is usual with his other films too.

That's preposterous. His career was made by him composing dazzling stuff for the sake of it. Those early video games were just back drops and hardly interacted with his great music.