2017 is 40 years of Star Wars, what do you think we will get soundtrack wise?

Jwfan2234

There won't be any newly made releases until after Sony's contract expires, and we don't know if that is in 2019 or what.  Hopefully Disney will commission something then.

We'll get an obligatory re-release collection which has snippets of unreleased content which amount to a few extra minutes available overall and people here will buy it making it their umpteenth Star Wars music purchase comprising almost entirely of existing material they already own the end. 

I'm only hoping for a Williams Episode VIII score at this point.  Hasn't any interviewer asked Williams if he wants to do Episode VIII or if he plans to??  Maybe they'll announce the composer after Williams wins the Oscar for TFA. ;)

57 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

Hasn't any interviewer asked Williams if he wants to do Episode VIII or if he plans to?

I'd like to think that if TFA was the last Star Wars score Williams intended to do, he would have said so or at least have hinted at it by this point. 

It would be fitting for him to write a new score in the 40th year anniversary of the original. After all, he wrote AOTC in the 25th anniversary.

I just wish an interviewer would bring it up. Hopefully someone does around Oscar time.

Hoping for "The Resistance" cue from the FYC album to be released in high quality as part of an expanded score for TFA. Can't believe that never made it onto the commercial album.