John Williams at the Hollywood Bowl, Sep. 2-4, 2016

Ricard

Hollywood Bowl, September  2, 3 & 4, 2016
Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by JOHN WILLIAMS and David Newman

Following the record-breaking success of  Star Wars: The Force Awakens, incomparable composer John Williams returns to the Hollywood Bowl to conduct music from the new score, along with other favorite themes from a galaxy far, far away. Bowl movie night maestro David Newman conducts a thrilling first half of film score classics, including a selection of clips shown on the big screen.

Single tickets on sale Sunday, May 1, 2016

http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/tickets/john-williams-maestro-of-movies/2016-09-02

I am not sure if I should post this in the JW thread or General but since there is already a Hollywood Bowl thread, I'll just mention:

Pretty exciting Hollywood Bowl lineup this summer - including Lalo Schifrin's new guitar concerto, Korngold's violin concerto, and a first L.A. performance of one of James Horner's final concert works.  Giacchino's "Star Trek" live to picture; and another Black Movie Soundtrack night!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

7 more sleeps!

Trying to get a friend to go even offering to buy him and his gf tickets but he's not yet knowing if he's available that night. Some people need a swift kick in the behind!

First tweets, photos and videos from last night's performance:

https://twitter.com/hollywoodbowl

E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL

THEME FROM SUPERMAN

HEDWIG'S THEME

THE JEDI STEPS AND FINALE

PRINCESS LEIA'S THEME

THE IMPERIAL MARCH

THE THRONE ROOM AND FINALE

Yet again, Williams tells the Luke-Leia thought they were lovers heated climax story.

At Boston Film Night it was new and fresh. Now it seems like the next Schindler's List you need a better composer.... 

He thinks he can just traipse from city to city telling the same old stories without anyone noticing, but he hasn't counted on us JWFanners! :lol:

It's easy to be annoyed by the lightsaber spectacle and constant cheering -- it only furthers the perception that JW can't be placed on the same pedestal as past famous composers because he is a film composer who panders to the general, not particularly orchestral-musically interested public -- but I must say that visual of JW conducting with countless lightsabers aglow all throughout the cavernous Bowl behind him is spectacular, and you have to love the energy coursing through that place (and any venue where Williams conducts). Quite an atmosphere.

While at the concert tonight, tried to determine how many years we have been going. We were pretty sure we have been attending regularly since 1988. Does anyone know when Williams first started his annual shows at the Bowl?

8 hours ago, Will said:

He thinks he can just traipse from city to city telling the same old stories without anyone noticing, but he hasn't counted on us JWFanners! :lol:

He's been doing that for decades though...

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Did he make any new comments about Episode VIII or his next project?

He talked about being contacted to do Episode VIII and the thought of someone else composing themes for Daisy Ridley immediately made him agree to do the movie. 

8 hours ago, Will said:

Yet again, Williams tells the Luke-Leia thought they were lovers heated climax story.

Is it weird that JW had this epiphany 33 years ago, yet we only heard about it this year? And since hearing about it, he's repeated it about 5 times?

He must enjoy the easy laughs! :P

2 minutes ago, Ultraindy said:

He talked about being contacted to do Episode VIII and the thought of someone else composing themes for Daisy Ridley immediately made him agree to do the movie. 

I imagine Disney presented him a portfolio of hip, modern composers they were considering to replace him, plus synth mock-ups of a modernized Main Title.

Probably did the trick. :)

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Is there a set-list for the concert(s)?

2 hours ago, longbeachyo said:

Can someone please post the program? 

David Newman conducting

“A Salute to Paramount Pictures”

• Suite from Forrest Gump (Silvestri)
  • Suite from Sunset Boulevard (Waxman)
  • Theme From Sabrina
  • The Wild Ride from North by Northwest (Herrmann)
  • Selections from The Godfather (Rota)
  • Opening Sequence from Star Trek: Into Darkness (Giacchino)
  • Theme from Mission Impossible (Schifrin)

INTERMISSION

John Williams Conducting

• Flight to Neverland from Hook
  • Suite from The BFG

“May The Force Be With You: The Music of Star Wars

• The Jedi Steps and Finale from The Force Awakens
  • The Asteroid Field from The Empire Strikes Back
  • Princess Leia’s Theme from Star Wars
  • The Imperial March from The Empire Strikes Back
  • Rey’s Theme from The Force Awakens
  • The Throne Room & Finale from Star Wars

ENCORES

• Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
  • Main Title March from Superman
  • The Flying Theme from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Pt. one is an eclectic (and for that, read "weird") selection of " Paramount's Greatest Hits".

Pt. two is a standard JW crowd pleaser set, not without its merits, but...safe.

"STID" does stick out a bit. Perhaps it was planned as a tribute to Yelchin, or even Nimoy, in which case, there are far more effective, and popular cues to choose from.

All in all, I won't be losing sleep over not attending.

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Is it weird that JW had this epiphany 33 years ago, yet we only heard about it this year? And since hearing about it, he's repeated it about 5 times?

He must enjoy the easy laughs! :P

Maybe 33 years is Johnny's statute of limitations on spoilers.

8 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Maybe 33 years is Johnny's statute of limitations on spoilers.

:lol:

--------

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

All the tracks are your bog-standard Film music concerty ones.

Well, there's at least one exception, the BFG suite. Nice that they played it; I was kind of expecting that to never be played again after Tanglewood.

@Disco Stu, you might be interested if you haven't seen the video yet.

But yes, I do wish there would be more variety in what JW conducts. Certainly as compared to the 2014 Bowl concert JW's selections are much less "out there."

Tough crowd. Goes to show you can't please everyone all the time and some of them ever. Happy those who'd not have enjoyed the event got to thumb their nose at it from home.

On the other hand, I had an amazing experience, heard some incredible music and now have memories I won't ever forget. I an more than pleased Williams chose to be "safe". I could have sat there and listened all night, even if it was just on repeat. 

Will be back next year should he chose to continue and I hope he does with another "safe" and "boring" set list. 

Loved the BFG suite, had a nice flow to it and the flute performance was exemplary. 

Really great concert all in all tbh. I mean, I would've subbed out Throne Room for something else (Yoda's Theme maybe, or the main title), but other than that I thought the lineup was great. Agreed with others in that the STID section was just odd in the context of the concert, but it was fun to watch nevertheless.

5 hours ago, FC4L said:

Tough crowd. Goes to show you can't please everyone all the time and some of them ever. Happy those who'd not have enjoyed the event got to thumb their nose at it from home.

On the other hand, I had an amazing experience, heard some incredible music and now have memories I won't ever forget. I an more than pleased Williams chose to be "safe". I could have sat there and listened all night, even if it was just on repeat. 

Will be back next year should he chose to continue and I hope he does with another "safe" and "boring" set list. 

Oh, I don't know about others but I would have loved to be there -- it probably would have been one of the best moments of my life. I hope I get to attend a JW concert sometime. 

It's just that when watching YouTube videos rather than actually being there, the classic Star Wars themes and such can get old fast.

On 09/04/2016 at 6:39 PM, Stefancos said:

I am assuming the opening sequence was conducted live to screen, like last year at Tanglewood.

Yes.

On 09/04/2016 at 11:29 AM, Ultraindy said:

While at the concert tonight, tried to determine how many years we have been going. We were pretty sure we have been attending regularly since 1988. Does anyone know when Williams first started his annual shows at the Bowl?

If this can help:

"He’s never held an official position, either conducting or composing, with the Phil but he long ago might as well have been named Principal Conductor of Movie Music Programs at the venerable Cahuenga Pass amphitheatre since, as he told the capacity crowd last night, this is his 38th year of conducting at the Bowl."

http://www.insidesocal.com/classact/2016/09/05/overnight-review-john-williams-at-hollywood-bowl-the-force-continues-to-be-with-us/

16 hours ago, longbeachyo said:

Any word about this being his last performance at the Hollywood Bowl? 

I think if it was planned to be the last one that would be announced beforehand. Obviously JW's health could deteriorate or something but otherwise I'd think he'd return.

He emphatically stated with much joy that he's been conducting at the Hollywood bowl every summer since '78 with the exception of 2 years. Last year I know of but no idea when the other was. I'd believe he will be back every year until his health prevents him from doing so. Likely going forward they will be similar joint performances though.

Star Wars music live or in any quality pre-recorded form can NEVER get old. 

My only question about the selections is with the first half being a tribute to films from Paramount Pictures there was no Raiders March. That's the only oddity to the entire night.