John Williams at the Hollywood Bowl, Sep. 2-4, 2016

Ricard

I asked if this was his last performance because while I was actively looking for last minute tickets for Sunday night, I noticed one of the brokers saying this would be his final performance at the bowl. (can't remember which one) But obviously they were just using that to drive up demand. Although logically speaking... If he takes next year off to do Star Wars viii like he did last year with vii, that would put him at 86 years old in 2018... I hope and pray he can and will do this into his nineties, but let's be honest. We might have seen his last one. 

PLUS, if you factor in our political landscape... Next year with Hillary we could be in a severe depression or at WW3 with Trump! We are getting close to seeing Yoda again! 

4 hours ago, longbeachyo said:

I asked if this was his last performance because while I was actively looking for last minute tickets for Sunday night, I noticed one of the brokers saying this would be his final performance at the bowl. (can't remember which one) But obviously they were just using that to drive up demand. Although logically speaking... If he takes next year off to do Star Wars viii like he did last year with vii, that would put him at 86 years old in 2018... I hope and pray he can and will do this into his nineties, but let's be honest. We might have seen his last one. 

PLUS, if you factor in our political landscape... Next year with Hillary we could be in a severe depression or at WW3 with Trump! We are getting close to seeing Yoda again! 

Wow, that sounds a bit dramatic. I'm glad I saw him at the Bowl in 2012, so I have no regrets. But it's a shame if he won't be able to do it again.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Doesn't the Bowl seem just a bit...vulgar?

Amplified sound and people having around pretend light sabers!

No wonder we Europeans feel superior!

VERY vulgar in European eyes. And you have to stand up and sing the national anthem before the concert (I stood up in respect, but I obviously didn't sing). But that's part of the whole 'cultural experience', I guess.

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The Proms is for chavs! Also, England is no longer part of Europe!

Did it sink?

England and the whole of the United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union. By a slim margin. Then woke up the next day and said "We did what?! Oh, F$%^!".  Not even sure what that has to do with a JW concert though.

It's vulgar to see a live performance in an outside amphitheater? Good thing the Greek's and Roman's didn't build any of those. Waving around lightsabers at a concert by the man who wrote the music for said lightsabers is vulgar as well? Are all you Euro's truly that stuck up? This is an all ages event with TONS of children in attendance. The lightsabers started off small years ago and grew to what it is now. And you know who loves it? JOHN WILLIAMS!

Love how playing the national anthem of the country you are in before an event also seems vulgar. I LOVE the anthem played before a hockey or football game. I sing my anthem with pride each and every time. I just refrained from "partaking: in this one as I would at home.

Now before you snobby Euro's get your knickers in a twist, I am NOT American.

1 hour ago, FC4L said:

Love how playing the national anthem of the country you are in before an event also seems vulgar. I LOVE the anthem played before a hockey or football game. I sing my anthem with pride each and every time.

If it's the national team in action, sure (both nations getting their anthems performed). But just the idea of playing the national anthem in front of a regular, local game here in Norway (in whatever sport) would be sickening to most Norwegians. But it's an integral part of American culture, and I respect that.

The Bowl is pure American folklore, yes. But that's part of its charm, so it's not fair to look it down snobbishly. I find utterly amazing  that last weekend almost 50.000 people went to see a concert of symphonic music. That's the power of the music of John Williams.

16 hours ago, Thor said:

If it's the national team in action, sure (both nations getting their anthems performed). But just the idea of playing the national anthem in front of a regular, local game here in Norway (in whatever sport) would be sickening to most Norwegians. But it's an integral part of American culture, and I respect that.

Maybe it's you Norwegian's who need to take on some more national pride perhaps?

Playing anthems before major events is not sickening nor worthy of "dear god" type of over reactions. And at that it was a fine performance of the Star Spangled Banner and not a horrid performance by a rock band or reality TV show popularity contest loser that does plague many American anthem performances. It wasn't my national anthem but I enjoyed it's performance none the less.

Remember, the "major" sport all you Euro's glamour for is glorified running with spurts of field diving. And the occasional celebratory biting of another man's junk. 

6 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

KUSC isn't broadcasting Williams concert this year, I'm sorry to say.

Are there broadcasts or streams of previous performances? 2014 was amazing and I'd love a better version to re-watch than what I can find on YouTube.

52 minutes ago, FC4L said:

Remember, the "major" sport all you Euro's glamour for is glorified running with spurts of field diving. And the occasional celebratory biting of another man's junk. 

That's not gonna go over well with all the soccer/football fans here... :lol:

13 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Norwegians -- not Norwegian's

Euros -- not Euro's

It's honestly not that complicated to pluralize words.  Hint: NEVER with an apostrophe.

How do you pluralize a word that ends with an S then? ;) 

A selection of moments from the concert:

There's a little kid shown at 19:47 and according to the comments:

That's awesome!!! That little superman at the end is my son!!!!!!! Glad you caught that on video!!!!????
Hide replies 
MovieManCHAD 

+Jessica Salazar if this is true, that's awesome and ur rasing ur kid right, I've been a huge fan of JW since I can remember existing. Please share the video with ur friends, thx and may the force b with u always.
Jessica Salazar 

+MovieManCHAD Yes!!!!! He's 2 1/2 and has watched John Williams music daily on You Tube since he was about a year old He started with Star Wars and then found Movie theme songs (Jurassic Park, Superman, etc...) He hums the music ALL day long He is a HUGE Superman and Star Wars fan. This concert was AWESOME!!!!!!!! ??
Liliana Romero 

+Jessica Salazar Dude, I was just a few seats away from you guys. XD My sisters and I were dying. Your son was the cutest. :3 You guys are awesome parents. ?

A new generation of Williams fandom!

37 minutes ago, Fennel Ka said:

How do you pluralize a word that ends with an S then? ;) 

Like so:

Of all the John Williamses, the composer is the best John Williams.  The guitarist and the actor are distant runners-up.

Cue somebody saying "I'm glad you're here to tell us these things!" and not really meaning it.  :)

It's a very common mistake, and you do admittedly see it done that way in professional publications from time to time.  So all things considered, I'm probably swimming against the tide with that one.

I'm gonna keep right on doing it, though.

I think pluralizing is with an apostrophe when it could get confusing or look weird otherwise, like PhD's or standalone letters (i's instead of is since the latter just looks like the word "is"....a's, u's etc, so I think that's a rule with the whole alphabet) but otherwise I can't think of other reasons to do it. People do it with decades/centuries a lot (1970's, 1800's) but I'm pretty sure that's technically wrong.

8 hours ago, FC4L said:

Maybe it's you Norwegian's who need to take on some more national pride perhaps?

We have plenty of that, but we show it in different ways. The American type of patriotism is very different from the Norwegian (or most European forms, really). But that's a different discussion perhaps better suited for another thread.

16 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Like so:

Of all the John Williamses, the composer is the best John Williams.  The guitarist and the actor are distant runners-up.

Cue somebody saying "I'm glad you're here to tell us these things!" and not really meaning it.  :)

Or alternatively an apostrophe after the word in a sentence such as :

"John Williams' beard is one of the most iconic in the music industry"

17 hours ago, Thor said:

We have plenty of that, but we show it in different ways. The American type of patriotism is very different from the Norwegian (or most European forms, really). But that's a different discussion perhaps better suited for another thread.

I think our intense patriotism really stems from the belief that America is the greatest and most powerful nation on earth, superior to every other, one that is special and unique and is an unmatched pillar of freedom, justice, and opportunity. That's more or less indoctrinated in lots of people born here, such as I. So you can imagine where that leads..

I'm not sure how many European people feel that way about their country. I don't know -- maybe they do?

2 hours ago, Will said:

I think our intense patriotism really stems from the belief that America is the greatest and most powerful nation on earth, superior to every other, one that is special and unique and is an unmatched pillar of freedom, justice, and opportunity. 

Well fuck you, Yankees! We're better then you!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'm new to the Forum (this is my first post!) so forgive me if I've missed this, but during the Hollywood Bowl performance there was a photographer on stage, taking what must have been some amazing shots. Does anyone know where to find them? I've checked the Hollywood Bowl and LA Phil's websites and Facebook pages, but no sign of them.

On 09/09/2016 at 2:01 AM, FC4L said:

Are there broadcasts or streams of previous performances? 2014 was amazing and I'd love a better version to re-watch than what I can find on YouTube.

Over the years, just two concerts were broadcasts that I've known of (1995 and 2012). None is available on-demand though.

As for KUSC, which is one's best shot to grab anything from Disney Hall or Hollywood Bowl, as they broadcast some concerts during the respective seasons, the shows are sometimes on demand for a week after the original broadcast. Not the case this year, I'm afraid, as far as the Williams concert is concerned.

9 hours ago, Richard said:

Just a cotton-pickin' moment, Steef!

That picture of the windmills, is the opening shot of MR. TURNER, a British film :P

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

During the concert Williams mentioned he's been playing every at the Bowl ever summer since I've been alive, but for 2 years. I know 2015 was just E.T. Live to screen due to health and schedule issues. Does anyone know what was the other year and possibly why?

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Well he will surely do Boston and Tanglewood in the summer next year.

I would not count any much more than these, as episode VIII looks to be recorded in the summer/early fall.

17 minutes ago, Tom said:

I would not count any much more than these, as episode VIII looks to be recorded in the summer/early fall.

You don't think he can do 3, maybe 4 concerts in the space of 3, maybe 4 months because of a Star Wars score?

I'm pretty sure he's recorded in that period before.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Even JW might not know his 2017 touring schedule as of right now

It would not surprise me if planning of it, and certainly announcing it publicly will happen later than is traditional. I seem to recall that happening for this years concerts.

Pity, or i'd know in a few weeks from now if and when to plan my holiday.