Ripping CDs from the library, wrong?

Jwfan2234

Having a limited budget should not be an obstacle to music listening.

I discovered many artists by borrowing CDs a my library when I was young. I remember that Joe Dassin boxset I could not afford... well, few years later when I got my first job, I bought it at my local music store!

Then came the internet... Still today I often download "samples" of the things I want to discover. And as I have a limited but still great budget for music, most of the time, when I love, I buy.

And this kind of forum is really a terrible place...as each one shows what they listen, what they buy.....it have the effect to push everyone to complete their collection.. we discover new things... and buy...and buy...  and buy!!! More, more and more!!!

Since I come here, my John Williams collection has tripled.

So the important thing is to pay for music you love. But few days or month can pass between the moment you listen... and the moment you pay. And we have to be honnest, in the soundtracks domain, many items are offered in limited edition. Sometimes we don't have the choice to "help" each others while waiting for a reissue. ;-)

Feel the powa of the dark side. Buy CDs!!!

If you're lucky, you should even be able to convince your library into purchasing boutique label albums. The Ghent library has a fair deal of those, for example, including LLL's 1941 and even the weirdly egregious recent 3 CD release of a certain Jerry Fielding western score. ;)

Also, again: we have a Quick Question thread for inquiries of this kind. Right here:

;)

My 1st Williams' scores in physical CD(r...) where The lost world and The last crusade borrowed from my library. I never got to get the ESB SE. Always already lent! :(. I got the patriot, and schindler's list too. I had like 15 years and not the money...

I own the original cds of all those now mind you :)

I ripped all of my CDs and gave them away to charity (second-hand) shops, and sold a few worth something. I prefer the convenience of mp3s, playlists, listening to full albums when they present the kind of listening experience, and taking individual tracks at will when they don't.

About half of my current film score collection is paid for; about one eighth of my total music collection is.

I just think it's really annoying when someone floads the forum with dozens of different threads created for every little one of his questions, either not knowing that he's drawing a lot of attention to him this way, or doing so on purpose. Even when he's already been made aware of the existence of a Quick Question thread. That's all.

I have ripped CD's inside libraries without even borrowing them. I wondered, heh, what's the difference?

The whole thing of "you have to buy your stuff" (I wish I could always, at least with smaller artists) would get libraries closed if taken to certain extremes.

8 minutes ago, Woj said:

Alexander is just so helpful pointing out all the other places to post. He's a moderator in training. I'm so proud of him. 

Wojo is just so intelligent noticing Alexander's aspirations. He really is an insightful person. I'm so glad we're blessed to have him as a member of our forum. :mellow:

Not okay in the legal sense, obviously, but I do it. The main thing for me is that the ability to rip stuff from the library to my iPod has made it so much quicker and easier over the years to catch up on all the historical and pop culture touchstones that I sort of vaguely knew by name but had never listened to. I hardly ever go to a library for new music (and I'm typically a lot more conscientious about deleting it after listening when I do), but it's always been much more part of a desperate kind of scrambling effort to familiarize myself with all the old stuff. Free music education has never been more convenient or addictive and it's hard to feel guilty about wanting to take in as much as I can without going broke, but of course people who go to a library exclusively so that they can steal new music are just being assholes.

1 hour ago, Alexander said:

I just think it's really annoying when someone floads the forum with dozens of different threads created for every little one of his questions, either not knowing that he's drawing a lot of attention to him this way, or doing so on purpose. Even when he's already been made aware of the existence of a Quick Question thread. That's all.

Generally I agree that it's annoying when threads pop up with easy one word answers that should go in the QQ thread, but this is a more debatable topic than that.

15 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Generally I agree that it's annoying when threads pop up with easy one word answers that should go in the QQ thread, but this is a more debatable topic than that.

Agreed!

This is morals we're talking about here!

If I kill someone with a knife I stole, does that make me a worse person than someone killing someone else with a knife he/she bought?

19 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

This.

20 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Agreed!

This is morals we're talking about here!

If I kill someone with a knife I stole, does that make me a worse person than someone killing someone else with a knife he/she bought?

We need a poll. 

And they are. None of the artists in the music aisle are starving unless they made stupid money handling decisions. A few people copying CDs from the library who wouldn't buy the CD anyways aren't the difference between boxed Kraft and lobster. 

8 minutes ago, Drax said:

There's a special place in hell for people who photocopies pages from a book at the library for any reason.

Right next to people who can't conjugate their verbs. 

Morally, it would be considered bootlegging, but in this day and age, nobody really cares.

I have a different example. A few years ago, I spent several months transferring my entire CD collection (about 1000) to iTunes. That's obviously OK, as it's for my own personal consumption. But the problem occured when I sold off (and continue to sell off) some of my CDs, but still kept the iTunes transfer. That's also in a morally ambigious territory, but I don't feel terribly bad about it. For me, it was merely a matter of freeing physical space. Besides, several of the CDs I "sold off" were give-aways or close to give-aways.

Middle English, from Anglo-French librarie, Medieval Latin librarium, from Latin, neuter of librarius of books, from libr-, liber inner bark, rind, book.