BloodBoal

Oh yea!  I wrote a paragraph or so last month when I watched it but never finished!  I wonder if the new board software saved it when I open the thread up.....

If I post it today then you must put up an avatar after you read it!

6 hours ago, Drax said:

Morally, the ideal thing to do would be to rip the CD, then mail a cheque of the RRP to the CD label.

At work today, I discovered there's a pay phone in the lobby with free long distance. 

I called the phone company and immediately reported the error. 

9 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

In The Netherlands, there's an actual law that allows you to rip or copy media you own for personal use.

Here, too. But only if it doesn't involve breaking any copy protection mechanisms...

I had no problem ripping Attack of the Clones.

I think I downloaded the first Chronicles of Narnia right after buying it, though. Couldn't get past the copy protection on that one. Bloody ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

So if you rip the AOTC CD you will go to jail?

I remember that my Windows PC at work had trouble reading the CDDA content. But my Linux box just ripped it like any other audio CD. So I didn't actually circumvent anything.

Here in the states backing up your CDs is basically recommended. All CDs and a lot of DVDs don't even have any type of copy protection. Windows Media Player actually automatically rips CDs in lossless FLAC or WAV files when you put a CD in your computer (obviously you can turn that feature off though). I had no idea it was so hard for people in other countries to rip something as simple as a CD.

It would be utter lunacy to create - let alone enforce - a policy against ripping music you've bought legally. Purchasing the album gets you the physical object itself, plus the right to privately enjoy the data stored in it. What difference does it matter if you transfer that information to another system in order to do so?

Is this a thing anywhere?

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Why do you say that?

Because it's an issue that needed to be actually regulated, I guess, with the thuiskopieheffing.

7 hours ago, Datameister said:

It would be utter lunacy to create - let alone enforce - a policy against ripping music you've bought legally.

Is this a thing anywhere?

Yes, in the UK. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/12021607/Why-in-2015-is-ripping-CDs-still-illegal-in-the-UK.html

It seems like a bad joke that is still archaic law. 

3 hours ago, Woj said:

Yes, in the UK. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/12021607/Why-in-2015-is-ripping-CDs-still-illegal-in-the-UK.html

It seems like a bad joke that is still archaic law. 

A bad joke indeed.

21 hours ago, Manikin Skywalker said:

Here in the states backing up your CDs is basically recommended. All CDs and a lot of DVDs don't even have any type of copy protection. Windows Media Player actually automatically rips CDs in lossless FLAC or WAV files when you put a CD in your computer (obviously you can turn that feature off though). I had no idea it was so hard for people in other countries to rip something as simple as a CD.

Nearly all commercial film DVDs are copy protected. Music DVDs often aren't (or at least that's how it used to be). The difference is, DVD's CSS description has been deemed so weak that cracking it isn't forbidden anymore.

As far as I know, the US were the first country to actually make cracking copy protection even for personal use illegal.

I think companies have pretty much given up on  CD copy protection after several root kit debacles.

It's either still illegal, or only very recently made legal, to rip a CD for personal use, in the UK. Just that no one would ever conceive of actually enforcing it.

My CD of the first Narnia score has some sort of copy protection, which thwarted whatever extraction software I used at the time. The makers of the CD were trying to make the CD only rippable into what I assume were DRM'd files. I probably wouldn't have a problem now (I use CDex now), but back then, I had to get my brother to rip it and then burn a regular audio CD.