John Williams: Themes and Transcriptions for Piano (Simone Pedroni)

The Psycho Pianist

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It sounds like something straight out of Williams' 1970's catalogue. Alternate Binary Sunset meets The Fury! Love it. Is it an official arrangement?

Karol

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

It sounds like something straight out of Williams' 1970's catalogue. Alternate Binary Sunset meets The Fury! Love it. Is it an official arrangement?

Karol

Yes! It's the official concert cue, written note by note by John Williams. Its score is available in "The Force Awakens Suite", from the Hal Leonard Signature Edition series.

Great video! I really liked the performance. It is a bit slower than it would be supposed to be according to the score, but I prefer it this way - everything really "sings". 

On 5 augusti 2016 at 9:29 AM, TownerFan said:

And here's "The Jedi Steps" concert version

Wow, that is amazing. There seems to be a couple of these concert arrangements that remain unreleased... The Book Thief Oscar-arrangement, Marion's Theme, now this... Too bad since it's wonderful music that deserves a bigger audience... or at least to be released in better quality for the fans! Oh well, better throw this one on the "only-on-youtube-pile" with the rest of 'em...

If I'm not mistaking, John Williams' last "concert" album is from 2002, the one with Yo-Yo Ma.

14 yo already, and no conductor took over to record an entire album dedicated to JW material and containing arrangements of the latest material that is usually played in concert.

44 minutes ago, Score said:

Yes! It's the official concert cue, written note by note by John Williams. Its score is available in "The Force Awakens Suite", from the Hal Leonard Signature Edition series.

Great video! I really liked the performance. It is a bit slower than it would be supposed to be according to the score, but I prefer it this way - everything really "sings". 

Oh I see, so the suite features both versions. So if they perform the whole thing they just should skip the film version and jump right into end credits, right?

Karol

Of the three - The Book Thief Oscar-arrangement, Marion's Theme and Jedi Steps - I guess the last one is the most likely to show up as a re-recording on a Star Wars compilation album, but even then it's a long shot.

13 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

The theme itself is so good, but the arrangement really makes it shine.

Goddamn I want him to continue working with that theme so bad.

Let's hope that they find a place for it thematically in the next film and that it wasn't just one off 2 minutes for the finale as it is indeed a wonderful melody which speaks to both Luke and Rey at the same time and with the allusions to the Imperial March in the supporting chords gives musically a sort of warning or implies at the apprehension of Luke on the notion of training Rey having failed with Ren.

And on the topic of the thread I wonder when will Varese release the piano CD. Looking forward to that one. :)

Simone is a male name in Italian language :) 

About the Jedi Steps, I find interesting that there seems to be a Wagner-like quality (echoes of Parsifal especially) and the concert version sounds even more Wagnerian in its development.

You all are just hearing this arrangement for the first time? A YouTube video was posted here months ago! :P

(Yes, I do realize I sound a lot like Jay here)

23 hours ago, crocodile said:

Oh I see, so the suite features both versions. So if they perform the whole thing they just should skip the film version and jump right into end credits, right?

Karol

Yes, there is a cue called "The Jedi Steps (concert version)", which is the one that you are hearing here, and a cue called "The Jedi Steps and Finale", which is the movie cue tied to the End Credits. If the first piece is performed, the editor recommends to skip the first 36 bars of the last cue (that's the film version of "The Jedi Steps"), thus starting with the End Credits. 

• 9 months later...

I think this is the second JW piano album this guy has made or maybe there are even more, but something about the recording and transcriptions just don't work for me. Between the recording quality sounding not bad but very dry, and the renditions themselves, this great JW music ends up sounding boring. It's like a guide to how to write boring solo piano versions of JW's music. That sounds harsh but this approach just doesn't work for me.

7 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I think this is the second JW piano album this guy has made or maybe there are even more, but something about the recording and transcriptions just don't work for me. Between the recording quality sounding not bad but very dry, and the renditions themselves, this great JW music ends up sounding boring. It's like a guide to how to write boring solo piano versions of JW's music. That sounds harsh but this approach just doesn't work for me.

do you have any better official piano transcriptions of Williams in mind?

because i haven't. these are the best i have heard closer to the source.

On 5/29/2017 at 1:29 PM, artguy360 said:

It's like a guide to how to write boring solo piano versions of JW's music. 

The Lincoln and Book Thief suites (15 tracks in total) are Williams' own arrangements.

3 hours ago, pete said:

The Lincoln and Book Thief suites (15 tracks in total) are Williams' own arrangements.

That's really too bad. This Book Thief performance in particular sounds worse than what is on the OST. 

I think some of the criticism expressed above is rather unfair. Shouldn't we acknowledge the basic problem: that 'dumbing down' such complex music for two hands on one instrument is simply never going to cmompare favourably to orchestral renditions, no matter how good someone is (and this guy is clearly not bad at what he does)? That's exactly what made me give up on playing the piano. You just can't do enough on your own, it lacks power and depth.

Ah ok, I get it, this album contains some new pianio suites written by Williams himself. Interesting.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Are they confirmed to all be Williams' own transcriptions?

The Lincoln and Book Thief suites are Williams' own arrangements. It's mentioned in the description on Varese's site:

Williams and Pedroni each transcribed about half of material on this album, which premieres Williams' own piano suites from “Lincoln”, and “The Book Thief”, plus Pedroni’s own special transcriptions of music from “Harry Potter”, “Star Wars”, “Schindler’s List” and more. 

It's more than just those!

The back of the CD says

Tracks 5, 7-9, 13-18, 20 Arranged by John Willams
Tracks 1-4, 6, 10 Arranged by John Williams and Expanded by Simone Pedroni
Tracks 11, 12, 19, 21-27 Transcribed by Simone Pedroni

Makes sense for track 9 since it's probably just the same arrangement as the final track from the Lincoln OST.

I can't wait to get this!  I've got a bit of a soft spot for piano transcriptions of orchestral music.

From what I understand, this CD is really a collaboration between the two, they worked together on this project. They "shared the work".

For The Book Thief Suite, Predroni added the "Finale" to the suite already arranged and published by John Williams.

For Lincoln, Pedroni "extended" some of the movements. Is an official piano version was already published for Lincoln?