Which upcoming Star Wars director's work do you currently like the most?

Jay

Which upcoming Star Wars director's work do you currently like the most?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which upcoming Star Wars director's work do you currently like the most?

• Gareth Edwards (Monsters, Godzilla, Rogue One)
    • Rian Johnson (Brick, The Brothers Bloom, Looper, Breaking Bad, Episode 8)
    • Phil Lord and Christopher Miller (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, 21/22 Jump Street, The LEGO Movie, Han Solo)
    • Colin Trevorrow (Safety Not Guaranteed, Jurassic World, The Book of Henry, Episode 9)

25 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Rian Johnson by far, though it's not really a valid opinion as I've never seen any of Edwards' or Trevorrow's films.

You should see Godzilla and Jurassic World!

Definitely Rian Johnson. He's one of the most original and unique up and coming auteurs. The fact that he's writing and directing VIII still seems too good to be true. 

Rian Johnson is the most exciting one for me. His previous work really gives me hope that he will pull this off.

Miller/Lord are fantastic, but a young Han Solo film sounds like such a bad idea. But then so did a movie about LEGOs and a 21 Jump Street film.

Absolutely! Search this forum, I always wanted to see a Star Wars movie a la David Fincher, or a la David Lynch, or a la Zack Snyder, or a la Steven Spielberg, a la Gus Van Sant, a la Alejandro Amenabar, a la Julie Taymor (by god, I so want that!), a la Michael Haneke, ....

Alex

Star Wars is certainly not where you go to find an artistic/auteur voice, whether it be in directing or writing. Which is why I'm cautious about Rian Johnson's attachment to the film. But he does sound like the most promising candidate for bringing something different to the table.

9 minutes ago, KK. said:

Star Wars is certainly not where you go to find an artistic/auteur voice, whether it be in directing or writing. Which is why I'm cautious about Rian Johnson's attachment to the film. But he does sound like the most promising candidate for bringing something different to the table.

Based on what he has done so far?

Yeah, Looper wasn't that great, but I do credit it for having a voice, which is more than can be said for many of the other directors attached to this franchise. Johnson also directed some of Breaking Bad's finest episodes, so he's the horse I'm betting on.

7 minutes ago, KK. said:

While I don't like his movies, the one pic that I saw did show some promise. I liked the very lived-in look (almost Alien like). Or was that from yet a different Star wars movie? It's hard for me to keep track. So they even going to bring Star Wars to TV?

21 minutes ago, Drax said:

That's beside the point!

The point is I want Star Wars freed from its straitjacket. With my concept every Star Wars movie would be a vastly different movie. It's the only way to have a chance on greatness (and turds). I want to be the target audience.

5 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I think you're thinking of Rogue One, by Edwards, the Godzilla guy.

star-wars-rogue-one-cast-1200x630.jpg

Yes! 

The pic will probably be better than the movie.

18 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I've only seen one movie of each of these guys (Godzilla for Edwards, Looper for Johnson, The LEGO Movie for Lord and Miller and Jurassic World for Trevorrow) and based on those, I'd go with Edwards.

Looper was one big fat MEH movie. The LEGO Movie was annoying. Jurassic World was fun in a "turn your brain off" kind of way, but not much more than that. Godzilla suffered from a bad script but was visually the most interesting, had a cool atmosphere and some good ideas to offer.

Looper is very different from his previous films. The Brothers Bloom has one of my favorite prologues ever.

I've never thought that franchise filmmaking and artistic freedom are necessarily mutually exclusive. They're just not exercised in tandem that often. But there are exceptions. Empire adheres to certain paradigms set up by the original film but it is different in a lot of ways. I can't say for certain that it's an Irvin Kershner film because I'm not as familiar with his overall body of work but it clearly is not a film directed by George Lucas or Richard Marquand. And that extends to The Force Awakens as well. It was authentically Star Wars but it was also very much a JJ Abrams movie, with a lot of his strengths and some of his weaknesses. So I think Rian Johnson will be able to maintain his artistic voice within the industry behemoth that is Star Wars and that makes me very excited, especially since he's also writing it. Disney/Lucasfilm is giving a lot of creative power to Johnson. It feels similar to me to when WB got Christopher Nolan to revitalize Batman as he was another young auteur on the rise.

Very much so. He's a technically solid director who casts well and managed to get good performances from that cast.

But all his movies seem artificial. Like even more Hollywood versions of already Hollywood conventions.

Out of the films by these guys I've seen, I'd rank them:

Looper
21 Jump Street
22 Jump Street
The LEGO Movie
Jurassic World
Godzilla
Safety Not Guaranteed

Have not seen:
Monsters
Brick
The Brothers Bloom
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Out of the films by these guys I've seen, I'd rank them:

Looper
21 Jump Street
22 Jump Street
The LEGO Movie
Jurassic World
Godzilla
Safety Not Guaranteed

Have not seen:
Monsters
Brick
The Brothers Bloom

My order is: 

Monsters

Jurassic World

Brick

Looper

Safety Not Guaranteed

The LEGO Movie

Godzilla

But I'm most interested in Johnson from a directing perspective.

Yea I'm looking forward very much to both Episode 8 and Rogue One

The Han Solo movie I'm most iffy about.

Episode 9 we just don't know enough about yet.  At least Trevorrow is releasing another film between now and then (The Book Of Henry), will be interesting to see if that's better than Jurassic World