Harry Potter - Live to Projection Concerts

bollemanneke

Wow @mrbellamy thanks for that terrific write-up!  I never would have guessed so much source music would be played live, that's is SO COOL to learn about!

I wish these HP concerts would come to New England so I could see them!

The complete score to HP3 should fit on two discs, hard to know for sure though without knowing how many of the alternates we have sheet music for were actually recorded, ya know?  Also depends on the producer and if he's willing to include Inserts in their own track vs repeating the entire cue again this time with the Insert added, etc.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Also depends on the producer and if he's willing to include Inserts in their own track vs repeating the entire cue again this time with the Insert added, etc.

I'm sure we all know which producer gets to work on JW expansions from here. :P Has anyone other than MM even touched one since DD did Hook?

I'd say A.I. is a good template for Matessino's current mindset on presenting alternates/inserts. Williams seemingly doesn't like short tracks or inserts in isolation, but if the alternative requires 3 discs...

I could see LLL pitching a Potter release to WB as The John Williams Harry Potter Collection which allows 2 CDs for each score and a 7th disc for source music, alternates & inserts (expanded with the cues they belong to rather than isolated). Would that work for all 3 scores?

Yes, a 7CD set would easily be able to include everything recorded for all 3 scores, of course.

Since the DD version of Hook (March 2012), there have been several Williams expansions that were not done by MM:

• Quartet's The Long Goodbye (September 2012)
  • Kritzerland's The Missouri Breaks (May 2013)
  • Quartet's Heidi (May 2013)
  • Music Box Records' Fitzwilly (October 2013)
  • Quartet's Tom Sawyer (Dec 2015)

I don't think there will ever be another one, though.

15 hours ago, Incanus said:

Thanks for the great report @mrbellamy!!! :)

I have reserved tickets for the CoS coming here next autumn but hopefully they'll also perform POA here soon.

I'm not sure if I want to see/hear CoS but maybe I should bring my whole family again to the event just to make sure that PoA will happen...

16 hours ago, crumbs said:

Makes sense. I can't imagine any cheering, hollering or clapping during an MSO LTP performance! Melbourne's quite an art-loving city.

I always thought POA was filled with alternates, as Cuaron was quite exacting of Williams. There's plenty on the OST alone!

People applauded and laughed at the most famous meme, which I will not dare utter here. :)

17 hours ago, Jay said:

The complete score to HP3 should fit on two discs, hard to know for sure though without knowing how many of the alternates we have sheet music for were actually recorded, ya know? 

From what I gather, Williams wrote the music to a different cut of the movie and then discovered right on the scoring stage that scenes were trimmed/moved around/modified, so he had to revise/rewrite a number of cues on the spot, hence I guess a lot of those alternates/early versions weren't even recorded.

52 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

From what I gather, Williams wrote the music to a different cut of the movie and then discovered right on the scoring stage that scenes were trimmed/moved around/modified, so he had to revise/rewrite a number of cues on the spot, hence I guess a lot of those alternates/early versions weren't even recorded.

Such as the alternate 'Window to the Past'? How late a change was that?

Has this 'different cut story' ever been confirmed? It seems highly unlikely that Williams had to change things on the spot, but that might just be my limited knowledge of film scoring... And there aren't that many alternates either.

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Has this 'different cut story' ever been confirmed? It seems highly unlikely that Williams had to change things on the spot, but that might just be my limited knowledge of film scoring... And there aren't that many alternates either.

I hadn't heard that either but there's long been rumours that their collaboration was less than congenial. Supposedly Cuaron pushed Williams quite hard (clearly with great results).

Apart from the liner notes I'm not aware of any interviews where Cuaron discusses the score or working with Williams, nor any where Williams discusses working with Cuaron. Is there anything in that Bluray scoring doco?

I always found that curious, given how diplomatic Williams is when discussing his collaborations.

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

No confirmation... all I ever found of it was this forum post, but there's no reason for him to have made up a story like that (either Beggs or the poster).

One clue that this story is at least somewhat accurate is the titling of one cue as "Sir Cadagon", who in the final cut of the picture appears for a split-second; the film originally was going to have a subplot with the knight which was entirely removed.

Note that the cue fits neatly into that scene, no editing required.

Thank you very much indeed @mrbellamy !

- Leaky Cauldron sounds distinctly different, as though the film version was just a loop of 5 seconds of that entire cue.
- Quidditc: You're definitely right, they deleted sound effects. Also, they added trumpets in the Grim music (dialed out in the film). Your orchestra sounds really similar to the real one in the film too.
- A Winter's Spell... Jesus Christ... Can we bribe a choir to record this for us? This one isn't really great, though.
- Pub source: again, you hear so much more in your recording than in the film.
- Harry shouting at Hermione: they added oboe to the first moments of Lupin's Departure.
- Harry and Voices: Why do I have to wait till Decmeber next year for this concert? The choir is much better here than in A Winter's Spell too. Nice moment to applaud them as well.
- Buckbeak's Execution: sounds really lovely.
- Dementors Converge: choir added (dialed out on the film).
- End Creidts:
-- Really nice performance of Hagrid the Professor.
-- Piccolo in Window to the Past plays an entire octave higher.
-- Buckbek's Flight: trombones! But some violin problems too.
-- Double Trouble: Nice to hear this song without the posh accent, but a little too much vibrato to my liking.
-- Aunt Marge's Waltz: Nice audible flutes.
-- So did they just stop after the waltz? Or did they add the Hedwig's Theme and that really awkward inconclusive Pettigrew statement too?

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from the Utah Symphony playing Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Overall it was really great, but I don't really like outdoor venues. Also, they didn't play the end credits. Is that a normal thing to do?

Every Live to Projection concert I've been to, they played the entire end credits.  In the case of both Home and Alone and Jaws, the orchestra actually stayed after the end credits were over, and played MORE music.

There is one exception though; when I saw Star Trek Beyond Live to Projection, they only played the first part of the end credits (the courage theme arrangement) that covers the "main" credit sequence, then stopped after that before the rolling credits started.

40 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Wow, what extra Home Alone music did they play? I really want one to take place here...

They played Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas from Home Alone II.

Review of pOA concert +interview with conductor Justin Freer:

https://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-potter-news/harry-potter-film-concert-series-hollywood-review-and-conductor-interview-on-tour-more-107838/

Why do they need one conductor for the entire tour?

9 hours ago, Saxbabe said:

And it was absolutely wonderful - in fact I even got all teared up...such memories, then hearing that majestic theme live...it was just overwhelming how, like, utterly thankful I was in that moment for the sheer existence of John Williams and his music.  (Gah, soo sappy. But c'mon I know you've all had the same thoughts!!) ;)

This was me when I finally got to see "Adventures on Earth" performed by a live orchestra.

Saw Chamber of Secrets last night here with the Baltimore Symphony.  The playing was excellent, I didn't notice any flubs and the music was always perfectly in sync with the picture.  At the beginning the conductor encouraged cheering and hissing.  All throughout the movie children (and some old ladies near us) hissed any time a Malfoy was onscreen.  Fortunately that didn't interfere with any significant music cue.  There was very little clapping or cheering except... when Lucius gave Dobby the sock.  The whole concert hall erupted in applause at that scene.  I thought was a bit strange.  Then again, I've never been a Dobby fan and don't see why that character is so loved with HP fans.

The best part of the evening was finding out upon arrival that Prisoner Of Azkaban has just been added to their 2017-18 schedule for March.

On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 10:11 PM, MrScratch said:

Saw Chamber of Secrets last night here with the Baltimore Symphony.  The playing was excellent, I didn't notice any flubs and the music was always perfectly in sync with the picture.  At the beginning the conductor encouraged cheering and hissing.  All throughout the movie children (and some old ladies near us) hissed any time a Malfoy was onscreen.  Fortunately that didn't interfere with any significant music cue.  There was very little clapping or cheering except... when Lucius gave Dobby the sock.  The whole concert hall erupted in applause at that scene.  I thought was a bit strange.  Then again, I've never been a Dobby fan and don't see why that character is so loved with HP fans.

The best part of the evening was finding out upon arrival that Prisoner Of Azkaban has just been added to their 2017-18 schedule for March.

Really?!

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Really?!

....really what? Yes, I really did attend this concert.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Really?!

Oh, the part about the conductor encouraging cheering? Yes. I was a little annoyed with that at first but as I said it didn't really interfere with much, if any, music. 

Though a friend of mine attended the Saturday afternoon show and she said that at her show there was a lot of cheering.  Probably a lot more kids at that performance than at my Thursday night show.

I picked the right concert to attend.

• 1 month later...

That was pretty cool!  All the cons I sort of knew about going in were indeed cons.  The crowd was very vocal.  They cheered at just about anything.  This was encouraged by the conductor before the film began, actually.  Sometimes the SFX/dialogue were indeed louder than I'd have liked.

But on the other hand, for a film score fan these are pretty unique concerts that I'm very thankful are growing in popularity.  I will say, the highlight was probably the end credits though (after the crowd finished cheering every time an actor's name came up) because it was 5+ minutes where the music was the entire focus.

I'm pretty sure the orchestra used a synthesized celeste.  And they did use the pre-recorded choir.  Actually, do any of these Harry Potter concerts use live choir?

On 02/08/2017 at 5:06 PM, Jay said:

Damn I can't wait for these to show up near me!  Sounds great!

They seem to be doing well here. They booked a fourth performance of CoS in Rotterdam and have fasttracked PoA to January.

Glad you had fun, Stu! I don't recall if there's an option for live choir or if they always play it though the speakers.

I've seen FOTR, TTT, and Home Alone with love choir.

When I saw Star Trek Into Darkness, the choir came from the speakers.

When I saw Raiders, there simply was no choir.

ET, Jaws, and Star Wars of course have no choir.

I think that's all the ones I've seen!

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm pretty sure the orchestra used a synthesized celeste.  And they did use the pre-recorded choir.  Actually, do any of these Harry Potter concerts use live choir?

When I saw POA in Indianapolis they had a live women's choir.