Harry Potter - Live to Projection Concerts

bollemanneke

36 minutes ago, Omen II said:

What did you think of the Royal Albert Hall, Jason?

Great venue! Everything sound great and every seat in the house seems pretty good. I love that the chairs rotate 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Great venue! Everything sound great and every seat in the house seems pretty good. I love that the chairs rotate 

I love the Albert Hall, been going there since I was a kid, but there are areas, when we don't get our member seats, where I hear some brass and bassoons bump off areas and seem a little delayed. But yes, I love the venue as well. I think you were sitting in the same general area although you, I believe were right behind the violins, we were off to the side more facing them but still that section, row 3.

16 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

What did the transition between Winter's Spell and pub music sound like? I mean, did they sound like 'finished' pieces or was their ending rather abrupt?

Definitely can't answer that as I do not really know the names of the cues all that well. I'm sure others could answer. I was so focused on the orchestra I wasn't;t paying much attention to orchestra/film. I can't remember hearing anything that sounded unfinished myself but I could just as easily have missed it knowing me.

Just now, crocodile said:

I really loved Quidditch match cue live. I've not seen POA in many years but my impression was the choir was dialed out or mixed very low? Can't remember exactly. Not so here anyway.

Karol

Agreed. Loved that cue as well! This concert reminded me what an incredible score POA is. It's definitely, for me, head and shoulders above the previous two.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Who is conducting?

Wow that's a nice setlist.

I'm not sure who's conducting yet, they're finalizing details. Even possible that we'll tour the show in a couple of different cities in the area. They're hoping it'll become a yearly thing and that we'll play thdm all. I would be fine just doing the first 3 honestly. 

This weekend's program is freaking awesome.

John DeLancie will be hosting. 

The Royal Albert Hall POA concert was fantastic. I had no intention of going as initially I was only supposed to go on a guided tour of the venue. But at the hall they informed me that there wouldn't be anymore tours for Wednesday because of the afternoon concert. And lo and behold it was POA! So I thought why not and it ended up being such a great experience. Plus I also got to meet a fellow JWFAN member @crocodile which was cool!😊

Just now, Stefancos said:

And you got to meet a few others afterwards! Don't forget that!

Indeed! It was such a pleasure to meet you and the others in person at last!

On 10/25/2018 at 6:50 AM, bollemanneke said:

What did the transition between Winter's Spell and pub music sound like? I mean, did they sound like 'finished' pieces or was their ending rather abrupt?

The first time they sing Winter's Spell (before Harry goes inside The Three Broomsticks), they basically just sang the whole song, it was great!

When it's reprised when he runs past them outside, I think they do like 2 lines of chorus before stopping when the carolers get knocked over. But it all sounded perfectly musical. The singers and tamborine just perform along with the underscore cue. I dunno if that sounds like it might be weird, but it definitely worked.

I enjoyed watching the orchestra and noting that depending on the cue, either all or only.portions of them stood up to perform. Sometimes, only four blokes (on the far left) remained seated.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Almost every live to projection show I've ever attended has had the dialogue subtitles on the screen.

It's for deaf people in the theater, good idea!

🤔

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I find them incredibly distracting and pointless. Why would a deaf person attend a film music concert?

Impossible to make a joke here.

🙄

Same reason you'd teach deaf people music with hand signs.

No logical reason at all at first glance.

I love them being subtitled, because it means we don't have to listen to the dub, we just get localised subs and original voices.

People who are deaf can still enjoy and appreciate music by feeling the vibrations of it. Look up Mandy Harvey. Also, it’s enjoyable watching an orchestra perform even if you can’t hear them.

Personally I always watch movies with subtitles when they are only in english.

I understand english bot too bad, but when I the words, it helps me to get concentrated and understand everything.  

3 minutes ago, Balahkay said:

People who are deaf can still enjoy and appreciate music by feeling the vibrations of it. Look up Mandy Harvey. Also, it’s enjoyable watching an orchestra perform even if you can’t hear them.

True, but I wanted to show that Jay has no humor at all.

That's the only thing I wanted to do!

Q.E.D.

😛

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

I find them incredibly distracting and pointless. Why would a deaf person attend a film music concert?

Always thought the subtitles were so people can still follow all the dialogue in case some of it gets lost in the music. Obviously everyone’s there for the score primarily but people are still watching the movie.

Yeah I dunno. If the music's playing, I'm watching the musicians and not the screen. If it's between cues, I can hear whatever dialogue I need ok. Eh, not important.

59 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Is it normal for live to screen showings to be subtitled here?

I aproved of it.

Yeah all of them have subtitles.

Karol

On 10/27/2018 at 8:41 PM, Jay said:

Well they are not pointless if the film's language is not your native one. In Finland all films have subtitles and all the live to picture projections as well. Not that I have needed the text when I concentrate on the music most of the time but it is nice to have it for those who do not necessarily understand English so well.

I'm not talking about subtitles when the language spoken is different than the country you're in.... I'm talking about all the LTP concerts I've seen in America (and now England) with English subtitles on the screen when all the characters are speaking English. I swear 0-1% of the people in the room appreciated them being there.

Well I completed the John Williams Harry Potter cycle with the Prisoner of Azkaban in the Royal Albert Hall in London. I have now heard his three scores each in a different city, first two in Finland and this third one in London, which I must say was the best experience of the three in terms of performance, acoustics and venue. But I'll certainly go and see POA again if it ever comes to Finland. Such a fantastic score and hopefully they will employ full chorus for it here as well.

If the subtitles contain hearing impaired subs, they might include them not to 'offend/exclude' the deaf? Apparently some deaf people appreciate concerts in their own way by experiencing the vibrations caused by the music or something.

It's probably mine too. The music is just fantastic as performed live and I think the colourful diversity of the material has a big part to do with it.

It's tied with FOTR, but few ensembles are usually well equipped enough to deliver the kind of scale that music needs.

Yes, immediately after posting that I kinda went "wait, FOTR...".

Which then reminded me that I still never saw ROTK live...